Anyone Looking to Purchase Coal? North Shore MA Area.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Aug. 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Another member and myself who live on the North Shore area of MA are looking to see if anyone out there is interested in purchasing bagged coal with us. The hope is we can generate enough interest that we can get a better price/free delivery.

I am willing to take delivery at my house in Saugus.

If anyone in the area is interested drop me a PM or leave a post.

We are flexible on the delivery timeframe as well the brand of coal. Even if you only want 1/2 ton you are welcome to chime in.

Thanks

Mark

Vinmaker

Post by Vinmaker » Tue. Sep. 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Good luck buddy. I posted on smitty's post. Have no way to get it from your house to mine. :(

Vin.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Wed. Sep. 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Vin

I wish I could help you out with delivery. My little truck will only take 1/2 ton and I don't like putting in that much weight to begin with. There just aren't many coal burners in MA and very few on the North Shore.

If we could find some real cheap space I would love to organize a "Coal Co-op" and bring in TT or Rail cars and sell it at just enough profit to cover costs. For grins I emailed a couple of places for a coal quote and the highest was Williams Energy and they wanted $462.50 for a ton delivered. $535 for a pallet. I doubt they are selling much at those prices.

Vinmaker

Post by Vinmaker » Thu. Sep. 13, 2012 10:10 pm

No problem Dollar.

Holy cow! 535 per pallet?

Call Squire Lumber in Monson. They are $360 per pallet. I guess they get about $2 per mile delivery. Not sure how far you are.

I'll be buying from them this year I guess also.

Vin.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Sep. 13, 2012 10:26 pm

:blowup: My head just EXPLODED!!! $462.50 a TON???????? :eek2: Must need to charge that for permission to sell coal so close to Boston ... :lol: :| :(

I paid that for over 1.6 tons, 16.8 tons total, placed exactly where I wanted it with a MOFFAT! That's an all-time record high. I don't think prices even go that high on this seasons Coal Prices thread poll!

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Fri. Sep. 14, 2012 10:06 am

Even at that high a price it is STILL waaaaaaay cheaper than oil. Watch TV much? Do you suppose all the burning buildings, cars, assets, that are being ruined by folks who benefit from your oil dollar? (let alone the loss of life)
Think about that one for a minute!
OOPs, off track for a sec.....carbon based fuels ARE a valuable commodity, as you see in the prices posted here. :idea: :idea: :idea:

The Co-op idea is a good one, but it takes cash AND dedicated people. I hope you can make it happen, but the current dealers aren't being greedy, they need to pay their way also. Good luck either way you guys decide to go.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Sep. 14, 2012 10:51 am

Whistlenut

The "coop" is a idea that in all likely hood will never see the light of day. The start up costs would be nearly impossible to find. Let alone the small numbers of coal users in the area to keep it afloat.

Still I think the idea has merit I think, just not practical in this part of the country.

On a positive note tomorrow I pick up almost 1000 pounds of Nut for free. IN BAGS. Gotta love Craigslist! WOO HOO FREE COAL!!

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Fri. Sep. 14, 2012 8:15 pm

You can order a TT load of assorted sizes for yourself to distribute, but you will be on the hook for $5500.00 before you get anything back. You may get some folks to pre-buy half a load...then you may be able to manage the cash flow.
Big skid steer...or a fork truck is a MUST. A dinky little 4 by 4 30 hp tractor will do wheelies with 2500 lbs on the forks...AND the TT driver will charge you $70/hr to watch you make a fool of yourself.
PM me if you like, I have 2 TT loads of bagged scheduled now and 2 bulk TT loads also. :) :roll: :idea:

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Sep. 15, 2012 1:37 pm

Whistlenut

I will drop you a PM in a couple of days.

The wife, dog and I just finished picking up 33, 50lb bags of nut for free. Well, almost free. It cost me $5.00 in gas and 2 Starbucks Frapamochaberrychaichotinos. Under $15.00 for 1650 lbs of coal. I am one happy camper! :) Though a little sore from loading, unloading and stacking the bags. :flex:

The biggest problem at least around here for doing a Coal Co-Op is not so much the cash to buy the coal but rather the space and equipment to deal with the coal once delivered. You are 100% correct a dinky little tractor ain't going to cut it.

jjs777_fzr
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove

Post by jjs777_fzr » Fri. Feb. 22, 2013 9:09 am

Based on what I'm reading - the current price of $349/ton bagged (picked up) is the best we can do for just North of Boston prices at NorthEast Nursery.
Has anyone tried using Boston coal with any success ?

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Feb. 22, 2013 2:23 pm

jjs

A couple of places are a tad cheaper BUT for us at least, their added delivery charges make Northeast the cheapest or pretty darn close if you perhaps want to squable over $5 or $10.

One place I checked back in Oct had coal for $320 a ton but wanted $50 for delivery. Not sure the drive there and back is worth the savings. I continue to hope that us North Shore guys can group together and buy enough coal to haggle out free delivery and perhaps a slightly better price too. I can dream right????? :lol:

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Fri. Feb. 22, 2013 9:16 pm

You should be able to split the load-assuming all the players can unload pallets. More than two stops, and the drop charges will
eat you.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Fri. Feb. 22, 2013 9:53 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:Vin

I wish I could help you out with delivery. My little truck will only take 1/2 ton and I don't like putting in that much weight to begin with. There just aren't many coal burners in MA and very few on the North Shore.

If we could find some real cheap space I would love to organize a "Coal Co-op" and bring in TT or Rail cars and sell it at just enough profit to cover costs. For grins I emailed a couple of places for a coal quote and the highest was Williams Energy and they wanted $462.50 for a ton delivered. $535 for a pallet. I doubt they are selling much at those prices.
is that Williams Coal in Braintree? did they change their name? their prices were horrible 30 years ago (I guess they make up for it in service). ouch
P.S. you a Criegs list addict, you must troll it every 5 min because everytime I see something YOU already picked it up! :mad:

stoker_RI

Post by stoker_RI » Fri. Feb. 22, 2013 11:54 pm

WHISTLENUT: Sent u a PM

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Feb. 23, 2013 10:06 am

dcrane wrote:is that Williams Coal in Braintree? did they change their name? their prices were horrible 30 years ago (I guess they make up for it in service). ouch
P.S. you a Criegs list addict, you must troll it every 5 min because everytime I see something YOU already picked it up!
Doug

Williams Energy is Williams Coal I do believe. I have no idea what you mean about me being a Craigslist addict. When I am looking for something like a Baseheater/Parlor Stove/FREE COAL it seems to be a good place to start. Unless I am looking for something I don't frequent the place. I have been lucky and found 3 GREAT stoves on CL. I bought 2 of them and YOU bought one. :lol:

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”