Looking for 10 Tons Delivered to Port Jervis Area

Bruce M
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1627 basement stove

Post by Bruce M » Tue. Jul. 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Just as the title says, I need 10 tons of nut delivered to Glen Spey, NY.(15 miles north of Port Jervis). It needs to be shot into a bin in the basement that is 5 feet from the basement window with a straight shot off the truck and a decent slope, total chute length would be about 15 feet straight. There are no obstructions for your lift truck. My initial call to Cornwall was a no because he wants the bin directly at the basement wall, not sure why he can not slide a chute into the basement 5 feet but so be it.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jul. 10, 2012 2:19 pm

Hey Bruce - As soon as I saw the title of this thread I was going to recommend Cornwall Coal...seems odd that the 5' gap is a problem for them. If there are no other suppliers in your area you may need to fabricate a chute of your own. :idea: A local sheetmetal shop might be able to help you out, or look for a big piece of smooth-wall plastic drainage pipe.

Bruce M

Post by Bruce M » Tue. Jul. 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking as far as a chute goes, drainage pipe is slick as snot. To be fair to Cornwall, I was only talking to the receptionist and she was sure that "Steve" only shoots it into the basement if the bin is directly under the window but is having Steve call me later today to make sure that is the case.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jul. 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Steve is a nice guy, I can't believe he would pass up a 10 ton order for the sake of an extra length of coal chute. Good luck.

Bruce M

Post by Bruce M » Tue. Jul. 10, 2012 3:20 pm

Yeah I'm certainly going to speak with him directly and hopefully the receptionist is off on this, it doesn't make sense to me either. I've only read good things of Cornwall and their service so I don't want this thread to serve as a knock on them at all, If they cant do it I'm sure they have their reasons which aren't clear to someone not in that business.

Bruce M

Post by Bruce M » Fri. Jul. 13, 2012 8:25 am

Well Steve from Cornwall did finally call me back and after assuring him that the bin is a straight shot through the window and telling him that I would handle the shoveling of the coal if there was any to be done, then assuring him my driveway was large and flat with no overhead obstructions, he then pretty much found (in his mind) that there wouldn't be enough angle for him to shoot it down into the bin even after I said there was a two foot drop in a five foot span(whatever angle that works out to). He said he needed at least thirty degrees, At that point I got tired of trying to give him my business and cordially agreed with him that maybe he shouldn't deliver to me. plain and simple he gave me every excuse as to why he couldn't do the job and gave me the impression that he wasn't interested in my business from the get go, and now he wont. Not sure what the problem is with him but I have never had contact with him or his company ever before so there is no history with us.
I have contacted two other dealers that are more than willing to deliver to me and have zero issue with any description of my bin or the location of it, one guy is even willing to "go out of his normal delivery area" to take care of my coal needs, he will probably get my business.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jul. 13, 2012 10:57 am

Bruce M wrote:I have contacted two other dealers that are more than willing to deliver to me and have zero issue with any description of my bin or the location of it, one guy is even willing to "go out of his normal delivery area" to take care of my coal needs, he will probably get my business.
The guy that is willing to go out of his way to help sounds like a good choice. Be sure to come back in the fall and let us know how you like that new stove.

Bruce M

Post by Bruce M » Fri. Jul. 13, 2012 12:03 pm

I will Rob. The company that is willing to go out of their way would have to make two trips to the breaker, his truck only holds 6 tons. He didn't have a problem with having to do that, he was just letting me know that it would be two trips. After hearing that I asked him to give me a quote for 12 tons, so he could bring two full trucks and make it more worth his time. He was very happy with that and I am pretty set in giving him the job. He gets blackshack.

Bruce M

Post by Bruce M » Wed. Aug. 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Well I just received my 12 ton delivery of blackshack coal from Wittenbrader Coal Inc (570) 689-2488, Its a small father and son team. They had zero concern of the slope angle of delivery or any other imagined/real obstacle that Cornwall coal had. The coal looks to be all sized correctly and as far as I can tell there wasn't any rock, though I imagine there would have to be at least a little. If anyone is around the Lake Ariel, PA 18436 area I would give them a call, they do not advertise, just word of mouth. They delivered pretty far out to me, I am sure I would be the extent of their delivery area but would call to find out. Nice guy's and thanks again Bob.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”