Coal Pilgrimage to NEPA

watkinsdr
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S260 Boiler

Post by watkinsdr » Thu. Apr. 19, 2012 12:32 pm

I'm thinking about driving from New Hampshire to NEPA next Friday 4/27 with my dump trailer to pick up a load of anthracite---probably about 4.0 tons.

Any recommendations on which mine? I'm considering Hudson in Pittston; but, I'd really like to get a load of "high octane" good stuff.

Advice on current pricing, hours of operation, and preferred payment (cash, good check, or plastic) would be helpful too.

Best Regards,

Dewey Watkins
Kensington, NH
603-321-7849

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sat. Apr. 28, 2012 7:43 am

Im not from PA but I found these folks really nice and helpful http://readinganthracite.com/about-reading-anthracite/ (and you might as well take a tour while your out their and make a mini educational Vaca out of it), but wait to hear from some people who live their as im sure they can lead you better then me (I would look for members from the northern coal field area since this is the field you want to go...and PM them directly, so they will receive an Email from here telling them someone is asking for them) here is one helpful guy here Rick 386 , you can go to the PA section to find these guys easier to get some tips before your trip.
Ive always heard Pittston coal is alllll that plus a bag 0 chips! drop a couple ton in Ma. on your way home :P hehehe

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Apr. 28, 2012 8:26 am

watkinsdr wrote:I'm thinking about driving from New Hampshire to NEPA next Friday 4/27 with my dump trailer to pick up a load of anthracite---probably about 4.0 tons.
Funny you mention that, I'm planning the same on the same day. The EFM has just about run through the 3.6 ton I bought back in October.

watkinsdr
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S260 Boiler

Post by watkinsdr » Sat. Apr. 28, 2012 10:32 am

We didn't make the coal pilgrimage after all... Since the weather was nice, my wife and kids convinced me a day trip into Boston made more sense. We went to the New England Aquarium, aquarium IMAX theater, and Faneuil Hall. If you're visiting Boston, I highly recommend the aquarium and aquarium IMAX; but, don't eat at Faneuil Hall... Way overpriced and crappy food; but, the kids had a great time. Only problem is: The pool is open and I still need coal to heat it!!! :lol:

Have a great weekend!!

http://www.neaq.org/index.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faneuil_Hall

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Apr. 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
watkinsdr wrote:I'm thinking about driving from New Hampshire to NEPA next Friday 4/27 with my dump trailer to pick up a load of anthracite---probably about 4.0 tons.
Funny you mention that, I'm planning the same on the same day. The EFM has just about run through the 3.6 ton I bought back in October.
Well I looked at the calender and realized my error. What I meant to say was I'm going for coal on Friday, May 4th. :oops: :oops:

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”