Coal in Central Connecticut.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 1:26 pm

My father-in-law owns a HVAC company in Meriden that he founded in 1973. I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort from a business perspective whether or not to start carrying coal?

He has the land and the facilities to carry huge quantities of bagged and bulk coal. Does anyone here think this is worth looking into and would anyone here be interested in buying locally?

And what about carrying a line of coal stove?

Which manufacturer might be interested in a new dealer?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

Blackrocks
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut --- bagged

Post by Blackrocks » Tue. Apr. 17, 2012 7:13 am

I would be interested in any new coal source, depending on price of course. I heard that Preston City Outpost no longer carries Hitzer, so they may be interested in finding a new sales source.

Rick

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Apr. 17, 2012 9:18 am

The big player in the area, Al at Household Fuel in New Britain is closing/closed up.

ValterBorges

Post by ValterBorges » Tue. Apr. 17, 2012 4:57 pm

With al going out the only other place I know in the area is pelletdepot in middletown. I think most of the profit from bagged comes in the delivery charges.

What brand would he carry?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Apr. 17, 2012 7:43 pm

ValterBorges wrote:What brand would he carry?
Al? He has been with Jeddo for a bunch of years IIRC. CT is very difficult to obtain bulk coal, bagged is easy. And pricey.

Resolute0058

Post by Resolute0058 » Wed. Apr. 18, 2012 8:17 am

there's definitely a market if the price can be kept down. paying $350 picked up for a 1.2T pallet is getting old. I know everyone has to make a profit, but coal in CT has been running up pretty quick with fuel costs to get it up here.

I use blakeslee in middletown for blaschak bagged, but competition is always welcome for lowering the consumer price.

EarthWindandFire

Post by EarthWindandFire » Thu. Apr. 26, 2012 11:17 am

My father-in-law primarily sells HEIL brand furnaces.

Is anyone here familiar with EFM's oil and gas furnaces and if so, how would they compare to HEIL?

Thanks!

beemerboy

Post by beemerboy » Thu. Apr. 26, 2012 3:07 pm

would you consider delivery of bulk to northeast Ct?

EarthWindandFire

Post by EarthWindandFire » Wed. May. 09, 2012 6:41 am

Is the price per bag the most important factor when you guy's make a purchase, or does convenience play a large part?

For me, I have to drive from Derby to Terryville which consumes about five gallons of gas, so a round trip costs me twenty dollars. On top of that, I only buy 30 bags at a time, so I have to make the trip monthly.

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Wed. May. 09, 2012 7:20 pm

I get my supply from BT Enterprises in Bristol and its no more than seven or eight minutes from my house, so for me its 100% convenience. Besides my grand kids help their father unload his pickup. I just have to pay for it. :)
I usually get the whole pallet at once because its so close and it only takes them fifteen minutes to unload and stack the bags.
After my back surgery I have a 20 pound weight limit.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. May. 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Meriden is too far for me in Kent, right near the NY border.

If your father in law started in 1973 he must be near retirement age. To start up something new takes a few years to get established so I think it is something for a young man to do.

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Mon. May. 14, 2012 11:18 am

franco b wrote:Meriden is too far for me in Kent, right near the NY border.

If your father in law started in 1973 he must be near retirement age. To start up something new takes a few years to get established so I think it is something for a young man to do.
Do you buy in CT or NY? Bagged or bulk? I don't know about anything in your area.

EarthWindandFire

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. May. 14, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi Richard,

My son's grandfather is retired, actually undergoing chemo treatment right now. :(

This idea is for the benefit of my son, the next generation. Just a thought right now, but all good idea's start that way!

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Mon. May. 14, 2012 2:51 pm

EasyRay wrote:Do you buy in CT or NY? Bagged or bulk? I don't know about anything in your area.
I buy from Tri County in Carmel NY. About 28 miles away and have it delivered. Bagged. Been buying from them since the 1980s.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Mon. May. 14, 2012 3:37 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:This idea is for the benefit of my son, the next generation. Just a thought right now, but all good idea's start that way!
Depends on the enthusiasm and willingness of your son to have the patience to build a business. And starve for awhile.

Several references in this thread mention some who are giving up the business and closing. If it were a real money maker I would think they would be selling the business instead.

Where natural gas is available the current price is cheaper than coal without the work involved. If the area you are considering has gas available that is not good.

Should be selling pellets as well as anything else you can think off. Relying on one thing that is seasonal is much harder to be successful at. Garden supply, hardware, stoves, coal, pellets, bio bricks. Anything to diversify. Maybe even building chimneys both SS and masonry plus installations. Gas fired fireplaces, servicing and installation. Chimney cleaning. A friend bought a propane fired fireplace $4000 that nobody was capable of fixing when it had a problem. Your son could learn that as well as a lot of other things given time and his ability and desire to learn. He can't just sit back and wait for somebody to order coal, he has to make it happen. Dad will also have to provide a lot of unpaid labor and maybe money. Like any business you have to like what you are doing, that's what gets you over the tough spots. Seeing a need and filling it is the general advice,but it takes more than that. Who would have thought that people could be successful selling used antique stoves? Or selling vacuum cleaners for $2000?

Like your dog. Wonderful breed.

Just read your first post again. What's wrong with continuing the present business?

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”