Want to Convert. I Want to Visit & Need Delivery in Norwalk

Bster13

Post by Bster13 » Sat. Mar. 03, 2012 3:34 am

I, I agree, but I really hadn't searched enough on ~this~ particular site when I made my post.

I still need to hear how loud these stokers are......perhaps requesting youtube videos are more appropriate that having me come into your homes. :lol:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Mar. 03, 2012 11:23 am

First get the house. The layout will determine what to get. Central chimney is best.

I would install a stoker only in a basement and not in the living area. They will make noise, especially with a power vent and also need more maintenance than a hand fired unit.

Buy a used hand fired stove to get your feet wet without spending a lot of money. There are some bargains in good units and also some awful stoves, so you need advice on what to buy.

There are coal dealers that will deliver bagged coal to you on pallets.

Ctyankee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 insert
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by Ctyankee » Sat. Mar. 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Tri County coal in Carmel NY... just up Rt 7 and west on I84 might be the closest. Not sure how far they deliver. I got 3 tons from them in December in bags and I am finding burning coal is easy and I love the price. This is my first year so if I can do it you sure can.

You know that big blue power station in the harbor used to burn coal when I was a kid growing up in Norwalk. Also try Rings End in Darien they might know where to get some close by.

Bster13

Post by Bster13 » Sat. Mar. 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Tri County won't deliver to me (seems nuts, I'm an hour away), but I definitely could tell the old lady that works there would not be fun to deal with if you got on her wrong side. She wanted to ditch me ASAP.

jim d

Post by jim d » Sat. Mar. 03, 2012 10:16 pm

west suffield lumber in conn. sells coal & they also have one of my alykat stoker stoves on displal &running

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Mar. 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Preston Trading Post store ?

jeff216410

Post by jeff216410 » Tue. Mar. 20, 2012 10:35 am

I have a ranch with a walkout basement. It is very handy to just walk outside with the ashes and bring in coal by bucket. I had a Leisure Line Hearth model stove in the basement and heated the basement to a toast 80 degrees F and the upstairs was 70-72 in winter. The upstairs is 2250 square feet. I saw a 10 degree difference from downstairs to upstairs. I don't think it needed to be that warm upstairs but wife liked it warm. I was burning 5-6 tons a year during the heating season plus oil for hot water and a little heat in early fall or late spring when not burning coal. My stoker fan was fairly loud in the basement; I would not want to be sitting next to it watching TV but I was over-heating the basement trying to heat the upstairs. If the stove was upstairs in the living room it would be running at far lower heat output and therefore quieter. Once the living space is up to temp it would only be maintaining. I have since installed a Leisure Line boiler and have cut my coal usage by at least 25% while adding DHT and no oil usage. Have you considered installing or adding a coal boiler? I'm not overheating the basement anymore. For coal deliveries try Beacon Pellet in Beacon Falls.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”