Anyone Else Notice a Drop in Blaschak Quality Control?

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Mar. 03, 2012 3:11 pm

I burned the stuff for 3 straight seasons without a problem. Figures the year I decide to drop a stack of bills on 14 pallets it ends up loaded with rocks. :mad:

Started noticing an increase in wood last season, but at least I could shake the stove without it walking across the floor & making my coil plumbing leak. :x

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Mar. 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Sorry to hear you got "rocked". Hopefully it is just the pallet you're currently burning.

Maybe someone will trade you some Kimmel's for the Blaschak. ;)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Mar. 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Its only my second year burning, but yes, Ive got more wood and some white rock I didnt have any of last year. Size varies a lot more too. My ash is knocked down with a slicer (Surdiac stove), so at least it doesnt plug anything. I have to pick them out by hand but its not hard to do. It seems to burn good so I cant complain much.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Mar. 03, 2012 8:31 pm

My bulk Blaschak pea has wood chunks scattered throughout the load, and I encounter them often. I originally tried to fish them out when I saw them, but now I just ignore them unless they are large. I can't recall seeing even one chunk of wood in my lesser priced Stockton coal.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Mar. 03, 2012 11:46 pm

I have not seen rocks(but the 983 is not that fussy) but some bags seen more like pea then nut but overall it's good :) Keepaeyeonit

plumber
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Other Heating: Biasi B-4 oil boiler

Post by plumber » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Besides the 3+ l s of water in every bag, my rice is also full of small stones and slate.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 5:19 am

Keepaeyeonit wrote:I have not seen rocks(but the 983 is not that fussy) but some bags seen more like pea then nut but overall it's good :) Keepaeyeonit
I've seen the same thing in my bagged nut; lots of smaller pieces and fines. I'm seeing more wood, too, but that's not concern in the Harman Mark II. I just burn it up. Lisa

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 6:24 am

Blaschak isn't the only brand with problems. I am seeing lots of wood in my bagged Nut Size Kimmels and the nut is more like 75% pea size as well. I haven't seen any rocks or shale though. The wood and the size doesn't bother my Chubby, though it bothers me since I paid for nut and basically received pea size.

KaptJaq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3721 Le Grand Rond
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut

Post by KaptJaq » Tue. Mar. 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Bought two tons of Blaschak bulk nut in August 2011. The pieces are a little larger than prior years but the size is pretty consistent throughout the load. There are some fines but not more than past deliveries. I have noticed some wood, maybe one piece every 100 pounds. The wood is the size of the nut coal and burns so it does not concern me. Have not seen any rocks yet this season. Most of the ash is powdery white with an occasional mineral skeleton or clinker.

KaptJaq

kzad

Post by kzad » Thu. Mar. 08, 2012 6:01 am

Same here, like burning range coal except no consistent ratio. Every bag is a mystery, therefore so are my stove temps.

rychw
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by rychw » Thu. Mar. 08, 2012 8:30 pm

I have been burning Blaschak for 4 years and this year there is more wood in the bagged pea. I have had many more puff back explosions this year than before so maybe the quality is off even though the ash is pretty clear of clinkers.

Demented

Post by Demented » Fri. Mar. 09, 2012 1:06 pm

I get mine in bulk and haven't noticed many rocks, but a lot of wood and a tremendous amount of fines and smaller than nut sized pieces. I've burnt about 2 tons so far and after the first ton I've had to start sifting the fines out. I'll bet that I have sifted out at least 10 five gallon buckets full of rice sized or smaller and the worst is still in the bin! Anybody want some rice coal?

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Mar. 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Dumped another f***ing fire last night. Getting real sick of this *censored*!! :mad3: Pipe is just pissing water everywhere. Stack is getting loose in the chimney, & all the cracks in the mortar reducing draft. What pain in the ass! Boy I'll be glad when this friggin winter is done with!!

I've had the varying size thing going on since I started burning 7 years ago. One bag is nut, next bag is range, next might be nut ... or might be pea. Happened with Kimmel's too. Nut burns soooo much better with my setup. But like I said before - that's no shock considering all the miles traveled, plus bouncing & smashing over the shitty roads the state can't seem to find money to fix.

dave brode
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-2
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: used to have a 5 section Red Square
Coal Size/Type: rice anthracite

Post by dave brode » Fri. Mar. 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Smitty,

Sorry to hear of the issue.

I just hauled 6.5 tons of their rice in. Shovelled it off, so I got a decent look at it. Although it's smaller than it should be imo [they all size it small, I bet = $], I have not seen one rock or stick.

Dave

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Mar. 09, 2012 8:39 pm

I think the size of the screen needed for rice probably filters alot more crap out than with nut. I would imagine they'd spend extra time with it too, just to make sure it's clean. People would be raising holy hell if they had all these rocks going into their stokers, busting augers & everything. :shock:

I just wonder why the hell it changed so dramatically this year vs. years prior? :wacko:

My ol' man bought nut coal from the same place - same brand - just at a different time of year, and he hasn't had any problems whatsoever. :confused:

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”