New Long Island Stove Dealer

kozel

Post by kozel » Thu. Jan. 19, 2012 4:48 pm

It's been about 15 years since I've seen anyone show they have coal stoves for sale on Long Island. I know Rella has them and I know other place can get them. But I was driving past Pool Doctor on Larkfield Rd in Northport and there was this sign. I stopped in and asked. Coal isn't the only type they sell and it is their first year selling stoves. As it turns out, the owner is a fan of coal. Doesn't look like they do stokers and the only coal stove mentioned was Vermont Castings. But I have to say, it is encouraging and I wish them well.

ablumny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman dvc500
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by ablumny » Thu. Jan. 19, 2012 6:45 pm

right there with ya. Rella and Sleepy Hollow are all I knew.....

BiG Jam
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Pea Mix
Other Heating: Oil hot water Propane

Post by BiG Jam » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 9:09 am

Wow nice to hear we have a choice now!
Now all we need is a few more coal dealers

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 10:22 pm

BiG Jam, your in my neck of the woods. I grew up in Holtsville, but now live in Medford. I bought coal from Rella because they are local. Are there other coal dealers in the area? Looking to see what my options are.

kozel

Post by kozel » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 8:18 am

tcalo wrote:BiG Jam, your in my neck of the woods. I grew up in Holtsville, but now live in Medford. I bought coal from Rella because they are local. Are there other coal dealers in the area? Looking to see what my options are.
I used to buy from Bethlehem in Brightwaters. They've gone through some changes I believe. When I talked to Pool Doctor I asked who they refer the coal sales to and they mentioned both Rella and Bethlehem.

Check this post Long Island Coal - Bethlehem?

ablumny

Post by ablumny » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 6:20 am

BigJam can't answer...... He's still celebeating the Giants win I bet! :D

Yep, 3 of us on the block got from Bethlehem this year.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 9:39 am

ablumny wrote:BigJam can't answer...... He's still celebeating the Giants win I bet! :D

Yep, 3 of us on the block got from Bethlehem this year.
Good to see others from Holtsville. I grew up just East of the ecology park. Where did you get the plans for the coal bin, or did you wing it? I would like to build a bin for next season, I know loose coal is cheaper than bagged. Have you been dealing with Bethlehem Coal for a while? It was mentioned on these forums that Bethlehem Coal has been through some ownership changes lately. I bought several bags from Rella Coal but I don't really care for thier customer service. This is my first winter burning coal. I actually burn both wood and coal. I started buring wood but it wouldn't get me through the night, so I decided to start supplementing with coal for the long overnight burn. It works great, warm house in the morning :D . I'm just torn because I get my wood for free. It's hard to pay for coal when I'm getting wood for free. I do love the steady heat that coal provides and boy could it kick out some btu's.

I've seen your model stove before, just curious how you feed them. Do you just throw scoops of coal in it or is there a feed system? I have a Chubby with a firepot so I just dumped coal in it.

BiG Jam
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Pea Mix
Other Heating: Oil hot water Propane

Post by BiG Jam » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 4:10 pm

That is right GO BIG BLUE
What a game!
tcalo yes we all (Four of Us) ordered from Bethlehem this year
Ablumny has some other dealers we are waiting for him to let us know

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Do you guys all live near each other? What made you decide to order from Bethlehem Coal...just curious.

ablumny

Post by ablumny » Tue. Jan. 24, 2012 10:59 am

Not happy with Rella customer service? I could tell you stories that defy all logical customer service expectations! Let me summarize by saying if all other coal dealers in a 300 mile radius closed shop, I'd dig my own property first in hopes of finding the first vein of coal on long island. After likely failure (and govt fines :D ) I'd convert my house to electric......before I'd buy anything from Rella. :o

Anyway, I have a construction background and made up my own plans based on what forum members here recommended for bin size based on volume and using std floor and wall construction techniques.

Bethlehem had gone thru a mgmt change but seem to be responsive and delivering. I am looking into other dealers I was given for coal.

My stove takes rice coal that gets loaded in a hopper and automatically fed to the burn plate.

Yep, live pretty close to the ecology site...know it well.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 24, 2012 11:07 am

So let me see if I've got this straight--you DON'T like RELLA, correct??? :clap: toothy good post, keeps other burners aware

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Tue. Jan. 24, 2012 5:41 pm

ablumny wrote:Not happy with Rella customer service?
Same here bud, that's the reason I am looking for another coal dealer. It's a shame, 10 minute drive from my house. I have a hand fired Chubby. Burning wood and coal in it. Thinking about going strictly coal next season. Got a taste for it...and I love it :up: !

LIBurner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds machine. 1500
Coal Size/Type: Nut/pea
Other Heating: Oil

Post by LIBurner » Wed. Jan. 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Hey fellow Long Islanders!
I too would never purchase anything from Rella, just a bad experience in trying to purchase a stove from them. Ended up going to Pennsylvania to purchase my DS Machine, and loving it!
Was just at Bethlehem Coal Co. today in Central Islip (formerly in Brightwaters) now on Suffolk Ave. His new number is 631-499-4032. Spoke to the owner Chris, real nice guy, very friendly and helpful.
Bought a ton of pea coal. He has some pea left and a decent amount of nut. His new website is up today, Hope this helps all.
Chris
Go Giants!
Last edited by LIBurner on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead link>

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Wed. Jan. 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks LIBurner for the info. Good to see Bethlehem Coal has the website up and running. I think I will be making a trip this weekend to get some coal.

ablumny

Post by ablumny » Thu. Jan. 26, 2012 12:56 am

So let me see if I've got this straight--you DON'T like RELLA, correct??
I spent $5k with them. When I needed service, we didn't see eye to eye. Calling me a pain in the ass and declaring I was not a customer anylonger (since I hadn't bought a stove every year apparently) cinched it for me.

Thank God for Hoffman Stoves in Hallifax PA.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”