Pros and Cons Reading Rice Vs Blackshack Rice

Aldo8811

Post by Aldo8811 » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 10:15 am

I know this is mostly opinion, but who has a better rice coal, Reading or Blackshack?

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 12:14 pm

You will get many opinions on this. I would guess most are going to lean towards Blaschak. I have never used Blaschak, there is only one place locally that I know of that has it and it's a convienient store that only has about a half ton of bagged on hand at any given time. I have however used Reading for a number of years and have been generally happy with it. There have been a couple of times it could have been better. Most of the time it burns well and the only real issue I have had is small twigs and at times there is a fair amount of fines. This really isn't an issue with the coal but handling.

Aldo8811

Post by Aldo8811 » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 6:19 pm

I bought 4 ton of reading rice this fall. I checked with a local farm store, the manager of the store said they had supplied blackshack for a long time, reading came in and offered them a real good price to switch to them. His customers complained right away, ultimately they have switched back to blackshack. Not sure what I can work for a price break for several ton but we'll see.

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 6:25 pm

I was told reading coal is the stuff that doesn't pass blaschaks quality control. Would make sense since most are not fond of reading coal. Maybe someone can confirm or deny this is true?

Eric

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Well, the question was about rice coal, but why let that stop me? :lol:
I bought three tons of Reading nut this year, after trying out 500 pounds. I have been happy with it, at least as good as Blaschak and more consistent (and correct) in size than Kimmel.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 8:18 pm

It has to be in a stoker if its Rice, so you won't notice much difference in Blashak, Reading or Kimmels. Understand that there are many other suppliers of all sizes, so don't end your search at three.......IN A STOKER, IT WOULD HAVE TO BE REALLY CRAPPY COAL TO SEE MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE! :idea:

Aldo, most of us use Buckwheat sized coal, and it might be available to you through other channels. I can give you a couple leads if you like. How badly are they molesting the price this season? Bagged that is....should be around 300ish at ton in your area, more is just not fair.

Aldo8811

Post by Aldo8811 » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 8:32 pm

we paid 330 per ton plus 20 per for delivery. in all fairness to them the delivery was around 100 miles. the local farm store is going to be around 350 and no delivery.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 9:02 pm

I would think that is very fair factoring in the delivery. Perhaps you will be interested in a co-op price next year...around 300/ton bagged, and delivered, not mystery brand coal.
All that is required is the ability to pay a week before delivery, so that the coal company and the trucking are prepaid.
We see 8.99 to 13.99 for 50 lb bags around here, and that is just NOT right. If we want to promote coal usage, those prices scare the folks to pellets,.
and before they realize that is a dead end street, they have thousands in the chimney, stove and storage. Know anyone with a bunch of bags that got wet? OOPS! Wet sawdust everywhere.

I have converted 4 local families with K-6's to buck and now they ask for it exclusively. The interesting part is that rice is usually $20 more than buck. Not a deal breaker, but times 10 tons......
We have folks with AHS and AA units burning buck also. Gentleman Janitor and Van Werts also......This is the real deal.....let me know, or I will stop by when I'm up your way...(couple of weeks) :idea: :!:

Aldo8811

Post by Aldo8811 » Fri. Dec. 30, 2011 9:33 pm

Yes we would be interested in more info on a co-op. This is a new concept, so I think there are alot of questions I need to ask, just don't know what they are yet. you said delivery.... here to me in maine or some central place I would need to truck from to home?
I have several people interested in coal.. my dad would be interested in a hot air stoker of some sort, he's 85 mostly blind and a prosthetic leg. still burns wood. tough old guy. his friend wants a stoker boiler, also elderly with health issues, has burned wood off his own land for the last 30 or so years, and my dads neighbor is holding out till we research the 2 appliances in 1 chimney topic.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Dec. 31, 2011 6:06 am

Coalfire wrote:I was told reading coal is the stuff that doesn't pass blaschaks quality control. Would make sense since most are not fond of reading coal. Maybe someone can confirm or deny this is true?

Eric
Denied.

I have burned a fair amount of Reading Anthracite, some has been very good, some just acceptable...but it all burned well. Blaschak does seem to have one of the most consistent products.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Jan. 16, 2012 1:31 am

My experience with Reading coal is that it is very high ash content, and the bags had tons of fines and chunks of wood and rocks

Certainly not something to feed a stoker mechanism.. maybe in a hand feed stove.

Maybe their coal has improved, I only burn UAE now.

Greg L

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. Jan. 16, 2012 6:35 am

in hand fired nut theres a BIG difference

I will never again burn reading. Blashack , better yet UAE

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jan. 16, 2012 6:38 am

Have you burned their nut coal recently? My experience with Reading has been in the last two heating seasons.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. Jan. 16, 2012 6:46 am

3 yrs ago. don't matter to me tho cause after getting sick at the dinner, chances are I wont eat there again......

hand shoveling 6 tons into the stoves makes the difference maybe......

Like WN said, in a stoker where a fan forces it to burn ya might not feel it

but on a morn like this at Zero out....I want my stove burning hot and complete....

Guess its a trial and error thing or maybe they switched veins.. glad its doing better this year :)

James Goodine

Post by James Goodine » Tue. Jan. 17, 2012 9:54 pm

I've been burning my Alaska chaning III since 08 and have only burnt Blashack due to supply in my area. The local Wallet-World got in three tons of Reading rice and the price is quite a bit cheaper by like 56 bucks a ton bagged. Now there was quite a buzz at work over this since there are a couple ...well quite a few of us now burning the little black rocks and all the talk was price. I bought four bags last night while buying a small list the wife txt me and dumped in my first bag last night. The temps have come up last night and all day compared to what it had been here so I hadnt thought about a comparison. Tonight I thought it felt a little chilly looked at my feed rate and it was on 2?? Three hours ago I cranked it up to three and as I type there is a definate difference in the heat output from the different products. My stove on three at current outside temps would deffinately be melting the ice in my drinks from my easy chair but as I type I must admit I always assumed it was all the same stuff just a different land owner...well I guess we all know what "assume" means makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me".

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”