Where to Buy Coal?

plumber
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Other Heating: Biasi B-4 oil boiler

Post by plumber » Sun. Jul. 03, 2011 10:29 am

Where are you Rhode Island guys getting your coal? All I could find was Cranston Coal, and they seemed quite high. I'm in the northwest corner so I have no issue with central mass or eastern CT.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Jul. 03, 2011 10:40 am

What is 'high priced'? 350? 325? 300? 285? We are at 285 for the lowest price around here and 325 is common. 'Off season' we might find 300 for a favored brand. PM smitty and get his take on the prices and dealers.

plumber

Post by plumber » Sun. Jul. 03, 2011 10:48 am

whistlenut wrote:What is 'high priced'? 350? 325? 300? 285? We are at 285 for the lowest price around here and 325 is common. 'Off season' we might find 300 for a favored brand. PM smitty and get his take on the prices and dealers.
The price I got was $385/ton, I think that's high. I found a place in central Ct about an hour and a half from me for $295/ton bagged.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Jul. 03, 2011 4:20 pm

ROAD TRIP :D $295.00 go for it.

qbwebb

Post by qbwebb » Mon. Jul. 04, 2011 5:45 am

I recently got 24 tons bagged blaschak to northwest CT via CT pellet (http://www.ctpellet.com/) for $260/ton. I was told I needed to take delivery in June because prices were going up this month. If you have the cash outlay for an entire truckload they may deliver to your area, and their truck has the ride along forklift to set the skids for you. The other nice thing about this is the freshly bagged stuff can be kept dryer when it doesn't have to be stored at the local distribution point outside for some time. On arrival I tarped mine, the blaschak bags let water in, but not out.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Jul. 04, 2011 7:13 am

qbwebb wrote:I recently got 24 tons bagged blaschak to northwest CT via CT pellet (http://www.ctpellet.com/) for $260/ton. I was told I needed to take delivery in June because prices were going up this month. If you have the cash outlay for an entire truckload they may deliver to your area, and their truck has the ride along forklift to set the skids for you. The other nice thing about this is the freshly bagged stuff can be kept dryer when it doesn't have to be stored at the local distribution point outside for some time. On arrival I tarped mine, the blaschak bags let water in, but not out.
Great Price! My comment is to be aware that the bags deteriorate over time and be ready to have them split open when you finally get around to burning the last ones. It doesn't bother the coal but can be a pain in your butt if this happens during the worst blizzard in history. When I decided how I was going to store my bagged coal I decided to prepare an area by putting down gravel and then a layer of "yard fabric" to keep the weeds out. I left the coal itself on the pallets so the bags aren't sitting on dirt. If one of my bags splits open because it's old and dried out, the yard fabric catches it and I can easily recover that coal when the pallet is empty. Oh yeah, I have had ants and small rodents make their homes in the stacked coal, it doesn't bother the coal but it could make things interesting when you've moving coal inside so be aware it happens. Happy Independence Day! Lisa

qbwebb

Post by qbwebb » Mon. Jul. 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Lisa, thanks for the tip on the yard fabric, that is a great idea. I planned on leaving mine on the skids as well. The critters don't bother me because my stoker is detached from the house, but I am a bit concerned about the deteriorating bags. How long did yours last until they became unmovable without spilling on the pallet? Did you tarp the skids as well?

The way they are shrink wrapped with that green poly sheet under the shrink wrap on top just traps all the water and sends it to the bottom bags. I took a couple bags and stacked them in the center, then tarped and wrapped about 1/2 down with rope and bungee cord individually to 10/20 skids so far, will finish the rest this week. This way at least they will shed water, I'd like to eliminate the drying step and go bag to hopper. My first year burning the bags were soaked, the bottom ones had black water running out when they were lifted off the skid, and wet coal gums up the vf3000 hopper pretty bad.

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Mon. Jul. 04, 2011 11:30 pm

plumber wrote:
whistlenut wrote:What is 'high priced'? 350? 325? 300? 285? We are at 285 for the lowest price around here and 325 is common. 'Off season' we might find 300 for a favored brand. PM smitty and get his take on the prices and dealers.
The price I got was $385/ton, I think that's high. I found a place in central Ct about an hour and a half from me for $295/ton bagged.
You must be way out there. It's $285 bulk if you pick it up yourself. I find it hard to believe Manny is nailing you $100 for delivery.

Cranston Coal is the only game in town from the middle to north half of the state. I think there is a guy in Westerly.

Used to be People's Coal in Woonsocket but I think they are out of business.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Tue. Jul. 05, 2011 2:00 am

qbwebb wrote:,... but I am a bit concerned about the deteriorating bags. How long did yours last until they became unmovable without spilling on the pallet? Did you tarp the skids as well?

I have 4 or 5 bags that are 4 years old (a brand that I don't like how it burns so I don't use it if I can avoid it) and they are getting badly dried out. They tear if you look at them wrong. I notice a difference in the bag's flexibility after even one year. The exposure to sun and the amount of heat under the tarp will determine how fast the bags deteriorate. I usually have a handful of bags left each year and I try to burn them first the following year so it doesn't become an issue for me.

I do try to keep a tarp on them but water still gets in; not every bag but the lower ones. I've got a hand fed so that's not issue for me. I don't know what to tell you about the water; water is going to get in. You just do the best you can. I've thought of getting some of that plastic roofing material, the rigid wavy stuff you see on carports at the beach and laying that across the top. However, since it's not an issue for me beyond the black water making a mess on the floor, I haven't bothered. I just know to expect it. Good luck, Lisa

L1363FRFTR

Post by L1363FRFTR » Mon. Aug. 22, 2011 11:39 am

You can also try Andross Hardware in Charlestown, RI. 364-9607 I believe they are now $290/ton; quite a bit more for Blachak bagged stuff.

plumber

Post by plumber » Mon. Sep. 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Does anyone know why everyone I call will not deliver to RI? Most of the dealers I called will deliver to Thompson and as far as Blackstone but will not deliver to RI? So anyway, I'm still looking for a few tons of bagged rice, any direction would be great! Thanks

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 9:47 am

I use Eastern Ice in Fall River. $275 bagged on a pallet

thecarver
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Wood Stove

Post by thecarver » Thu. Dec. 01, 2011 10:17 pm

I know I'm commenting late on buying coal. I miss Peoples Coal they had great prices. Since they are no longer with us I have been buying from Cranston Coal and found they always had the best price and are very helpful and friendly. I need to get a ton of coal. I will have to give them a call. What ever did happen to Peoples Coal?

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Thu. Dec. 01, 2011 10:40 pm

I too liked Peoples Coal. The stuff I bought was Kimmel, and Peoples distributed. I was buying through Agway at the the time. Maybe 6 years ago.

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 7:15 am

Peolples carried coal plus oil etc. The owner retired and the new buyer dropped the coal line to work just with oil. Probably thought it was a good move. They missed a great oportunity. They had a railroad spur right into the yard plus all the proper equipment to store and handle the coal. They should think over what they did. there is a great business sitting there to be had.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”