Anthracite Coal PLATTSBURGH/BURLINGTON

vmi1983
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by vmi1983 » Sun. Apr. 03, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi Folks,

My friend and I are looking for coal supplier(s) near Plattsburgh/Burlington/Ticonderoga area. :?: We are looking for a bulk supplier where by we can split the cost.
Any ideas? :idea:

Matt :)

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sun. Apr. 03, 2011 3:24 pm

what are your plans? splitting up a semi-load or do you mean you just want to find a retail dealer that sells bulk instead of bagged? how many tons/what size coal are you interested in?? I can bring up a truckload an split it if you're interested.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Apr. 03, 2011 4:35 pm

I assume you are looking for anthracite? If so, which sizes and what kind of quantity?

vmi1983
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Large Round/ La Belle Epoque
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by vmi1983 » Sun. Apr. 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks for the replies fellows! I will speak with him tomorrow as to quantity of Anthracite coal we are going to plan for!

Matt

coalhog

Post by coalhog » Tue. Sep. 20, 2011 8:21 am

Watt up MATT!
Just saw your posting. Were you able to find a coal supplier nearby? I reside in keeseville and I too would like to split the cost of bulk anthracite pea coal. If not this year perhaps next year. Were you looking for bagged or loose coal?
coalhog

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Sep. 20, 2011 8:41 am

coalhog wrote:Watt up MATT!
Just saw your posting. Were you able to find a coal supplier nearby? I reside in keeseville and I too would like to split the cost of bulk anthracite pea coal. If not this year perhaps next year. Were you looking for bagged or loose coal?
coalhog
I hope you aren't burning pea coal in the EFM 520...

I sent Matt a PM a while back, I think he was looking for a load of nut coal. I live about 15 minutes North of Plattsburgh , and I'm not aware of anyone selling coal in Keeseville. Your closest supplier is probably Hulbert Bros. in Plattsburgh; they sell bagged Kimmel's.

coalhog

Post by coalhog » Tue. Sep. 20, 2011 1:06 pm

What's wrong with burning pea in a emf 520 ? (50's model)

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Sep. 20, 2011 1:19 pm

They are made to burn rice and/or buckwheat size anthracite. You may get away with pea if it is on the small side of the range, but if there are any oversize pieces you may break shear pins.

Just so we are on the same page, here is a chart with the different sizes of anthracite:
Coal_Sizes.jpg
.JPG | 585.4KB | Coal_Sizes.jpg

coalhog

Post by coalhog » Tue. Sep. 20, 2011 1:26 pm

apologies I burn rice not pea.

coalhog

Post by coalhog » Tue. Sep. 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks for the chart.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Sep. 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Where have you been getting your coal up until now? I know someone that sells bulk Reading rice in West Chazy, if you would like their contact info let me know.

coalhog

Post by coalhog » Tue. Sep. 20, 2011 8:52 pm

hello again!
I had my boiler installed the middle of March last year. I purchased the boiler and had it installed by a great fellow from Ballston Spa who gave me a ton of rice coal to get started. It was almost enough to get me through the heating season. I did need to purchase another 300 lbs. which I got from Heat Wave in West Chazy.I would greatly appreciate any contact information you like to share. Thanks for all your help. To answer your question, the coal was purchased bulk from a mine in Penn. I don't know which one. For him to get six ton and bring it up north makes it cost prohibitive.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Sep. 21, 2011 9:18 am

Check your private messages.

NYfireman
Stoker Coal Boiler: none
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: American Standard Severn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 720
Baseburners & Antiques: Fuller &Warren Matchless 14, Our Glenwood 111, Royal Sterling 30 base burner
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chestnut, Pea

Post by NYfireman » Thu. Sep. 29, 2011 3:08 pm

Northern Coal and Oil in Essex Junction right off the 5-way intersection on the road headed toward the dam (don't know the name of the road, but it comes up from the big shopping area near VT 2/2A/117) sells Blaschak pea and nut and maybe stove. Good guy, named Smitty. You might not want to go that far. I think his current price is $325/ton bagged. I haven't been at all impressed with Kimmel coal from Hulburt Bros. in pea or nut--it's wet and has more ash and ash clods than Blaschak. ~~There is also a guy (Mulholland Enterprises) in Greenfield Center down by Saratoga that sells what appears to be quite good coal--minimal dust, shiny, etc.--for $7.25/bag and $279/ton. He says it comes from the Tomacqua beds, which is generally quite good coal from what I hear on this site. ~~Finally, there is a fellow in Malone who advertised on Craigslist a month or so back. Hope this helps!

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Sep. 29, 2011 3:22 pm

NYfireman wrote:There is also a guy (Mulholland Enterprises) in Greenfield Center down by Saratoga that sells what appears to be quite good coal--minimal dust, shiny, etc.--for $7.25/bag and $279/ton. He says it comes from the Tomacqua beds, which is generally quite good coal from what I hear on this site.
I have met him once before, and he told me the same thing...that he picks up the coal from South Tamaqua Coal Pockets.
NYfireman wrote:Finally, there is a fellow in Malone who advertised on Craigslist a month or so back. Hope this helps!
That would be Dean Rockhill, aka Rockhill Coal Company. He has a loyal following of customers and a reputation for good product & service. His number is 518-483-0867.
NYfireman wrote:I haven't been at all impressed with Kimmel coal from Hulburt Bros. in pea or nut--it's wet and has more ash and ash clods than Blaschak.
Ever bag of coal I have ever purchased has been wet, so I don't think that is unique to Kimmel's. I did notice that you have to be careful with the air when burning their nut coal. The load I had burned very hot, and had a lot of iron in the ash...if you got carried away with the air trying to "rev up" the fire, it would create clinkers.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”