Early Season Bagged Blashak or Tri-Axle Load ?

qbwebb

Post by qbwebb » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 10:01 pm

I live about 250 miles from NEPA and had it in my head one of my spring/summer projects was going to be building an outdoor bin to store a bulk delivery in. I just got an add in my mailbox from a local supplier who is running a special until the end of april, 20-22 ton and only pay $10/ton delivery charge. They clarify that there can be a maximum of 6 deliveries in the local area, apparently they are looking to get people to schedule deliveries w/ their neighbors. Usually delivery is $70 first ton then $10 for each additional ton. This is my first year, I plan on running all summer for DHW, and think my annual usage will be around 7.5 tons.

They are advertising bagged blashak for $265 ton + the delivery charge. Their flatbed has the wide tire skid loader on the rear so they can pretty much set skids where you need them providing it isn't monsooning out like it was when I got my first delivery from them last sept (skid loader got stuck in the mud, wrecker had to come and pull out, a big PITA).

Without calling around, does anyone know what range I might expect to pay for a tri-axle of bulk shipped 250 or so miles to north west CT?

Phelps and sons in Vernon CT quoted me 245 ton/bulk delivery w/ 4 ton minimum last sept when diesel was cheaper, I am a bit of a drive for them though. To me the convenience of bagged is nice when the spread is only $20/ton. Weird thing, this supplier post prices on their website, I watched the price go from $265/ton to $289/ton and then it was temporarily unavailable, now they have the spring special at $265/ton.

I would like to secure a 3 yr supply, and am wondering if I should just get shrink wrapped blashak skids delivered and tarp them while this deal is going on rather than build a bin and get a tri-axle load. With all the crap in the middle east, 3 yrs of heat security in the near future would be a nice thing!

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 10:17 pm

I wrestled with the same problem. My usage is about 12tons a year but with this c r ppy winter it will be 15 tons. For NY delivery zip 10918 for TT load it was $180/ton but I have a farm and it's easy to unload and store. I am about to order again and the main reason is that all this ME stuff makes me a little nervous. Given my inflation expectations I think it will be a good bet but remember,

They can't call you paranoid if you can PROVE the whole world is out to get you.

If you think you are being overcharged google Cornwall Coal NY and ask for Steve. Straight shooter and good coal and will deliver to your area.

jeff216410

Post by jeff216410 » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 1:30 pm

qbwebb wrote:I live about 250 miles from NEPA and had it in my head one of my spring/summer projects was going to be building an outdoor bin to store a bulk delivery in. I just got an add in my mailbox from a local supplier who is running a special until the end of april, 20-22 ton and only pay $10/ton delivery charge. They clarify that there can be a maximum of 6 deliveries in the local area, apparently they are looking to get people to schedule deliveries w/ their neighbors. Usually delivery is $70 first ton then $10 for each additional ton. This is my first year, I plan on running all summer for DHW, and think my annual usage will be around 7.5 tons.

They are advertising bagged blashak for $265 ton + the delivery charge. Their flatbed has the wide tire skid loader on the rear so they can pretty much set skids where you need them providing it isn't monsooning out like it was when I got my first delivery from them last sept (skid loader got stuck in the mud, wrecker had to come and pull out, a big PITA).

Without calling around, does anyone know what range I might expect to pay for a tri-axle of bulk shipped 250 or so miles to north west CT?

Phelps and sons in Vernon CT quoted me 245 ton/bulk delivery w/ 4 ton minimum last sept when diesel was cheaper, I am a bit of a drive for them though. To me the convenience of bagged is nice when the spread is only $20/ton. Weird thing, this supplier post prices on their website, I watched the price go from $265/ton to $289/ton and then it was temporarily unavailable, now they have the spring special at $265/ton.

I would like to secure a 3 yr supply, and am wondering if I should just get shrink wrapped blashak skids delivered and tarp them while this deal is going on rather than build a bin and get a tri-axle load. With all the crap in the middle east, 3 yrs of heat security in the near future would be a nice thing!
Not sure where in Northwest CT you are but I get my coal from Terryville delivered down to Shelton. What size coal are you burning?

qbwebb

Post by qbwebb » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 7:14 pm

I live near granby, CT, I called Cornwall coal, they said a triaxle of 20-22 tons rice would go for $200/ton roughly as long as diesel does not go crazy, ($4.25 when I called), and he said a flatbed of shrink wrapped skids holding bagged would be $250/ton.

I am still weighing my options, either have a pad poured and build a U shaped wall so a tri-axle can back in and dump, or rent a bobcat w/ forks and have a flatbed show up with shrink wrapped skids, unload w/ bobcat and set them near boiler shed + cover with tarp.

I will see what the place in terryville is getting, the nice thing about delivery from out of state is no sales tax. Either way I crave that feeling other forum members have of 3 yrs energy security.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Fri. Apr. 22, 2011 5:59 pm

I can second what Coalnewbie said about Cornwall Coal - I've been buying from them for several winters now and have had excellent service. Real straight shooting folk over there - no BS. Good coal, very knowledgeable folk.

dj

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Apr. 22, 2011 7:54 pm

When I was about to buy my coal in bulk I wrestled with loose vs. bagged. In the end I decided I wanted the convenience of bagged coal. It's nice to be able to go outside and grab a bag or two. With bagged the coal comes nice and neat on pallets. I store mine behind my pool. It is out of sight. With loose I would have had to build a coal bin which would have cost me about 1k. Then I would have to deal with the coal freezing and scooping it when it's very cold outside. Some members have the coal bin in their basement which could be an alternative.

I paid 190.00 a ton delivered to NY. That was about 4 years ago so 250.00 doesn't sound too unreasonable. Loose was about 150.00 a ton delivered at the time or 120.00 picked up. Good luck.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”