Lenig Vs Superior Vs UAE

rrob311
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Allegheny
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2 Coal Wood
Other Heating: Monitor 441 Kerosene heater

Post by rrob311 » Fri. Mar. 25, 2011 8:58 pm

Hey all I need to pick up a few tons of coal sometime in the near future and I now have a trailer so I should be able to haul 3 tons in one shot. I recently picked up UAE coal for the first time and it seems to have less ash but I feel like I am burning it pretty fast. I am not too sure about the heat output. I tried Lenig a couple years ago and I couldn't seem to get high heat out of it on a low setting. I am interested in a coal that I can turn the stove way down and get 400-450 degrees out of it on low. What other coals besides Superior can put out more heat at low settings? So far I am most impressed with Superior for heat but it has tons of ash.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Mar. 26, 2011 7:42 am

The hottest coal I've found is UAE in Mount Carmel Pa. Lenigs is OK for hard burning, haven't tried Superior. Dollar for dollar I go wit Harmony whenever I can.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Mar. 26, 2011 8:06 am

The real hot burning stuff from Superior may be a thing of the past. Supposedly the “good” stuff came from a mine that is no longer operating. I have always burned Superior for a couple of reasons but not necessarily because it is the “best”. I would hate to tell you what to do but if you are coming from New Hampshire UAE is a few miles closer and they are usually a few dollars cheaper. UAE coal comes from one source so it will be quite consistent coming from the same mine. Superior comes from several sources and is a blend of different coal so you could see much more difference in heat output and ash content from one load to another.

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Sat. Mar. 26, 2011 8:34 am

Calvin V. Lenig are nice people to do business with but the load I got had a Lot of fines and small pieces in it. I ended up screening it by hand to get my stove to run properly. That has turned out to be a lot of extra work. I bought 18 tons and it is almost gone. :shock: :cry:

rrob311
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Allegheny
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2 Coal Wood
Other Heating: Monitor 441 Kerosene heater

Post by rrob311 » Sat. Mar. 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Ya I am burning some UAE right now. Definitely less ash but I am not so sure about the heat. The directions I got on this site in one of the posts was way off so I drove around for about 30 minutes looking for it. The Lenig just didn't seem to put out much heat in my stove but last I checked it was 140 a ton.

steveyrock

Post by steveyrock » Sun. May. 08, 2011 11:49 pm

I have burned 2 ton of UAE and 2 ton of Superior this year and was happy with both.I seen no increase in heat value with UAE in my boiler but it does have less ash than Superior.I got my moneys worth with both brands and had a warm house.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”