Source of Bagged Coal in Ontario, Canada

john_new

Post by john_new » Mon. Mar. 10, 2014 1:57 pm

Sorry for not updating this post earlier.

I never found a source of bituminous coal in Ontario. Mostly I found anthracite, which I was sure would not burn in my fireplace (more on that later).

However, I did take the advice of Duengeon master and I contacted Streat Fuels in Flint, Michigan. George Streat is a great guy to deal with and the "Leatherwood chunk" coal he gets from West Virginia burns beautifully in my fireplace. It starts almost as easily as wood and burns longer and more evenly. And the smell is fantastic (although my wife doesn't like it). The only problem is that most of what Streat gets is soccer ball sized or even larger, but George was good enough to put aside about half a ton of baseball sized pieces left over after the bigger stuff gets taken.

I did mange to get my hands on a few pounds of hard coal and tried to burn it in my fireplace and it wouldn't even start; it would barely burn even after adding it to an already-burning coal fire using the West Virginia coal from Streat. So, I'm glad I didn't order a ton of anthracite to try out. :)

As some have asked, I've attached a picture of the fireplace in action.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Attachments

IMG_7930.JPG
.JPG | 120.9KB | IMG_7930.JPG

kmparish

Post by kmparish » Mon. Mar. 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Looks good John. I don't know if you saw my earlier post and link but this supplier is in London, Ontario.
http://www.greenvalleyheating.ca/blaschak.html

john_new

Post by john_new » Mon. Mar. 10, 2014 7:57 pm

amparish,

Thanks for the link. I did go look at that page, but they are selling hard anthracite coal which works well for boilers but doesn't for open fireplaces, at least in my limited experience with coal.

DennisH
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon-Eagle Klondike IV
Other Heating: Propane

Post by DennisH » Wed. Mar. 12, 2014 5:41 am

Duengeon master wrote:That looks like a coal burning fireplace that they have in England. It burns bituminous coal. I am not familiar with Ontario, However you say that you are two hours east of Detroit. About an hour north of Detroit is Flint, Michigan. Streat fuel sells Bituminous coal that may work in your fireplace. :) We want to see pictures of burning coal in your fireplace.

Streat Fuel & Storage
800 Erie StFlint,MI48507-1615 (map)
(810) 232-0167
http://streatfuel.com/

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan near Escanaba, and I get my coal from KW Feeds in Farwell, MI. Just a couple miles west of Claire, MI, which is on highway US-127. It's a five hour drive for me one way. You can easily reach it from London, Ontario by coming across the Bluewater Bridge at Sarnia/Port Huron. Probably 4 hour drive tops. The owner, Ken Warner, is a great gent and has super prices. For me it's well worth the drive there and back to pick up 3 pallets of coal at a time. I don't know anything about the Flint supplier listed, but it's located in S.W. Flint. Flint proper is a place to avoid IMHO. Too much crime, second only to Detroit. Just a data point.

KW Feeds
550 E Ludington Dr
Farwell, MI 48622‎
+1 989-588-0549

[email protected]

Izzyt

Post by Izzyt » Sat. Jun. 21, 2014 7:31 am

Hi there,
I work in Dorchester, close to london. We bought a century home last year and have a huge pile of coal in the basement. Not sure what to do with it now? Would this work in your fireplace?

Ruth Fudemoto

Post by Ruth Fudemoto » Sat. Sep. 29, 2018 3:48 pm

To John who is looking for coal in London, Ontario.
https://www.yellowpages.com/flint-mi/coal-suppliers
This is a link to Flint, Mich. suppliers.
Ruth

PolarLight
Stoker Coal Boiler: JB
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane, firewood

Post by PolarLight » Thu. Oct. 11, 2018 6:05 pm

I am also interested in bit coal here in Ontario. If some one knows where I might get bit coal please write here, or send me a pm.
I already contacted GreenValeyheating .
Yes, they do have a hard coal not bit coal.
But, it's almost 5 hours of driving (one way )from Barry's Bay where I live.
Waterton, NY is about the same drive.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Thu. Oct. 11, 2018 9:07 pm

TSC at Imlay, MI has bagged nut anthracite. But reviews are horrible.
I am driving hiway 69 to P.Huron tomorrow, gonna stop and grab some.

john_new

Post by john_new » Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 12:04 am

Sorry for my late reply on this.

First off, I did eventually find a source of bulk bituminous coal at at Streat Fuels in Flint, MI, but that was a long time ago now.

I finally found a source of bagged bituminous coal in Hamilton, Ontario. Here is the contact info of the person I dealt with:
Frank Cipriani
905-572-5514

The coal comes in 50 lb. bags for CAD$29.00 each for 5 bags or less and CAD$26 each for more than 5 bags (2017 prices). Frank describes it as Cannel Coal. It burns quite easily in an open fireplace so I'm pleased.

Frank is a bit strange to deal with. It's not a regular business with a yard and office hours; I don't know why he has coal, but he does. When you phone, he will sound a bit suspicious as to why you are calling. Once he realizes you want coal, you will arrange to meet him at a mutually agreed date and time at a gas station in the east end of Hamilton. Once there, he will have you follow him to the location of the coal at an industrial site nearby. As I write this, I'm chuckling to myself because it just sounds so outrageous. I think I half expected to have a bag thrown over my head and get dumped into a van, but that didn't happen. LOL. Frank actually sold me coal and as it turns out, he is a nice, if unorthodox, guy.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 9:19 am

PolarLight wrote:
Thu. Oct. 11, 2018 9:07 pm
TSC at Imlay, MI has bagged nut anthracite. But reviews are horrible.
I am driving hiway 69 to P.Huron tomorrow, gonna stop and grab some.
Thought your unit had a stoker feed...nut is not for stokers.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 12:48 pm

You are right McGiever,
Even though, boiler's specs says nut size, I would rather stay with pea.
Boiler originally designed for bit coal, anthracite is a harder fuel and may break the auger. Anyway, it's just for testing and TSC doesn't have pea, rice or nut only.
I also have 3 fireplaces on my property, nothing gonna be waisted...:-)

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 2:21 pm

You aren't going to burn anthracite in a fireplace. Not unless it is in a stove.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 3:12 pm

john_new wrote:
Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 12:04 am
Sorry for my late reply on this.

First off, I did eventually find a source of bulk bituminous coal at at Streat Fuels in Flint, MI, but that was a long time ago now.

I finally found a source of bagged bituminous coal in Hamilton, Ontario. Here is the contact info of the person I dealt with:
Frank Cipriani
905-572-5514

The coal comes in 50 lb. bags for CAD$29.00 each for 5 bags or less and CAD$26 each for more than 5 bags (2017 prices). Frank describes it as Cannel Coal. It burns quite easily in an open fireplace so I'm pleased.

Frank is a bit strange to deal with. It's not a regular business with a yard and office hours; I don't know why he has coal, but he does. When you phone, he will sound a bit suspicious as to why you are calling. Once he realizes you want coal, you will arrange to meet him at a mutually agreed date and time at a gas station in the east end of Hamilton. Once there, he will have you follow him to the location of the coal at an industrial site nearby. As I write this, I'm chuckling to myself because it just sounds so outrageous. I think I half expected to have a bag thrown over my head and get dumped into a van, but that didn't happen. LOL. Frank actually sold me coal and as it turns out, he is a nice, if unorthodox, guy.
Thanks John, for the idea.
Hamilton with $26 CAD per bag of bitcoal +6hours of driving though Toronto traffic doesn't really works for me. I live in a Barry's Bay.
I would prefer 7 hours of driving to Direnzo place and get that I really need -excellent pea anthracite, or 3.5 hours to Waterton, NY. Someone said they have a dealer there.
I would prefer bit over anthracite only because of price. Heard Estevan mine has bitcoal for only $45cad per tonne.
http://westmoreland.com/location/estevan-mine-sas ... r-nav-menu
But 32 hours of driving, OMG.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 3:54 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 2:21 pm
You aren't going to burn anthracite in a fireplace. Not unless it is in a stove.
Unfortunately, it's right. Anthracite is too hard to ignite in normal fireplace built for wood.
I have one insert and 2 standalone units. Let's see. I will continue to hunt for good bitcoal around Alexandria or watertown, NY

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 7:19 pm

PolarLight wrote:
Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 12:48 pm
You are right McGiever,
Even though, boiler's specs says nut size, I would rather stay with pea.
Boiler originally designed for bit coal, anthracite is a harder fuel and may break the auger. Anyway, it's just for testing and TSC doesn't have pea, rice or nut only.
I also have 3 fireplaces on my property, nothing gonna be waisted...:-)
If mfg'r spec'd nut size (bit), then anthracite nut may work, worth a try...auger shouldn't be so fragile to be hurt by hard coal...you'll see this when you get some from TSC.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”