Source of Bagged Coal in Ontario, Canada

john_new

Post by john_new » Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 9:58 pm

PolarLight,

I didn't know if you needed tons of it to heat your home or, like me, just need it to burn in a fireplace once in a while for some heat and ambiance in one room.

Anyway, in my notes, I have written down that my source in Hamilton would take CAD$375 per 1000 lbs. (CAD$825/tonne) That's still expensive (Streat Fuels in Flint, MI is about CAD$250/1000lbs or CAD$550/tonne) but it's worth it for me because Hamilton is only about an hour away (and 1000 lbs. would last me many years). Maybe you could negotiate a lower price.

So, you have options like CAD$825/tonne (maybe less?) with a 12 hour round trip to Hamilton vs. CAD$45/ton with a 64 hour round trip to Estevan. You would have to decide if 52 extra hours of driving is worth saving CAD$780/tonne. I guess it would depend on how many tonnes you buy.

PolarLight
Stoker Coal Boiler: JB
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane, firewood

Post by PolarLight » Sat. Oct. 13, 2018 2:45 am

john_new wrote:
Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 9:58 pm
PolarLight,

I didn't know if you needed tons of it to heat your home or, like me, just need it to burn in a fireplace once in a while for some heat and ambiance in one room.

Anyway, in my notes, I have written down that my source in Hamilton would take CAD$375 per 1000 lbs. (CAD$825/tonne) That's still expensive (Streat Fuels in Flint, MI is about CAD$250/1000lbs or CAD$550/tonne) but it's worth it for me because Hamilton is only about an hour away (and 1000 lbs. would last me many years). Maybe you could negotiate a lower price.

So, you have options like CAD$825/tonne (maybe less?) with a 12 hour round trip to Hamilton vs. CAD$45/ton with a 64 hour round trip to Estevan. You would have to decide if 52 extra hours of driving is worth saving CAD$780/tonne. I guess it would depend on how many tonnes you buy.
next heating season i will probably need couple of truckloads.
Buying a railcar full of bit coal from Estevan could be an option, but i have no room to keep it on my property. Anyway, before buying 100tonns i need to test that coal first, besure it burns well in my stroker.

Lydo
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak No 3 1899
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite rock
Other Heating: Wood

Post by Lydo » Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Hello from Quebec! I’m also looking for anthracite to burn in my 1898 Glenwood Oak Stove. I was only able to find BBQ coal which burns too fast. In my reasearch for coal, I found a coal mine in Nova Scotia but it looks as if they’re only starting.

Blaschak Coal
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Blaschak Coal » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 11:54 am

Lydo wrote:
Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 8:57 pm
Hello from Quebec! I’m also looking for anthracite to burn in my 1898 Glenwood Oak Stove. I was only able to find BBQ coal which burns too fast. In my reasearch for coal, I found a coal mine in Nova Scotia but it looks as if they’re only starting.
Please check your PM.

Lydo

Post by Lydo » Fri. Jan. 11, 2019 9:45 am

Thank you Andrew from Blaschak Coal for your references. Turns out that the retailers in Quebec are very expensive $20/40lbs bag and I need to buy it by the skid but in one of your emails you sent me you referenced Green Valley Heating that do sell Anthracite by the bag at different prices per number of bags you guy. So, I just ordered a skid at $9/bag. Can’t wait to try it!

Blaschak Coal
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Blaschak Coal » Fri. Jan. 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Lydo wrote:
Fri. Jan. 11, 2019 9:45 am
Thank you Andrew from Blaschak Coal for your references. Turns out that the retailers in Quebec are very expensive $20/40lbs bag and I need to buy it by the skid but in one of your emails you sent me you referenced Green Valley Heating that do sell Anthracite by the bag at different prices per number of bags you guy. So, I just ordered a skid at $9/bag. Can’t wait to try it!
Glad to help. Please be careful burning. Anthracite burns much hotter than what you might be used too.

Lydo

Post by Lydo » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 10:15 am

We’re only used to wood and this stove eats up wood real fast when all the dampers are opened and dies off as we slowly close the dampers.

PolarLight
Stoker Coal Boiler: JB
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane, firewood

Post by PolarLight » Tue. Feb. 26, 2019 9:34 pm

I found both antracite and bituminous for about $300CAN per tonne. Only if I order 25tonns (trackload). I will go for it.....please keep me updated bout Nova Scotia main, interested also....

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”