Quality of Coal From Dennis Coal Fabiusny

Westy

Post by Westy » Sat. Jan. 08, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm looking for some info on the current quality of bagged and bulk coal from Dennis Coal. Myself and a buddy are trying to arrange a small shipment(7ton) to South Central Ontario Canada. I've had good luck so far with bagged from Kimmel, good heat, clean coal with acceptable fines.
Dennis' website states their supplier is Reading. Is there anyone local to them that has tried their coal this year and could comment on the quality?

howeduin

Post by howeduin » Sat. Jan. 08, 2011 2:42 pm

i have burned rice coal from them for a couple of years
and have found it to burn very well in my keystoker
with no issues at all

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Fri. Jan. 14, 2011 9:07 pm

It's Reading coal.I got it there 2 yrs. ago and it was pretty bad.Do a search for reading coal .

What you have is good coal but buying from Kimmel is a crap shot he is a reseller and buys is from the lowest bidder.
DON

LiftedAWDAstro
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker 160
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by LiftedAWDAstro » Thu. Apr. 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Instead of Dennis coal, try M & M Coal in Fulton, NY. Their phone is 315-593-7360 The load I got was oiled (completely dust free) and had basically no fines in it. It burned well but has a higher ash content. It was running around 15% ash by weight.

fastcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut/Stove Mix

Post by fastcat » Mon. May. 02, 2011 11:33 pm

I begged a ton up at Dennis to get through the season and it had a lot of wood in it.

Kenbod

Post by Kenbod » Mon. May. 02, 2011 11:48 pm

I've bought from them for years. The coal has been relatively clean and effectively oiled. My criticism is that their business model could be improved: they want to sell coal (and stoves) from the business or deliver it bulk (ie: loose). That's it. They don't want to discount larger purchases and they will nail you to deliver bagged coal. They have not responded to local competition and are losing market share because of it.

While their coal may be marginally better that of the competitors, I have been satisfied to compromise for better price or service from other dealers.

Dirty Steve
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil- Off line

Post by Dirty Steve » Wed. May. 04, 2011 3:56 pm

I tried three bags of Buckwheat sized coal from them this early spring. Sizing was odd. From huge to the tiniest of particles. It burned well in the KA-6 but no better than the rice I burn from Stoyell Coal out of Moravia, NY. There was half a dozen pieces of wood, metal, or unidentified structures in the coal. It was pre bagged. :|

wefinish

Post by wefinish » Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 9:08 am

Disappointing bagged nut from Dennis

Attachments

Dennis Quality.JPG

Disappointing bagged nut from Dennis

.JPG | 151.4KB | Dennis Quality.JPG

Kenbod

Post by Kenbod » Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 10:55 pm

I too have bought tons of coal from them. Mostly in the past. I like them and their product but have to agree the business model is imperfect. Another choice in CNY is Griffen Coal Service in Jamesville.

But I hate the pre-bagged 40# Reading coal...

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”