Central VA Coal Source?

Legendsingray
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983 Insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut/ Anthracite
Other Heating: Electric Heat pump

Post by Legendsingray » Sat. Dec. 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Dixie Gas & Oil sells Blackshak. Due to a price increase from Blackshak they are going up to $7 a bag. While they have several locations, they only sell coal at their Verona location. I am well outside of their delivery radius, so I cannot say if they deliver or not.

229 Lee Highway
Verona, VA 24482
Phone: (540) 248-6273
Toll free: (800) 403-4943
Fax: 540-248-2524
Office hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. M-F
8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Saturdays, Nov-Ma

turbine
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hand fed coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut , stove
Other Heating: heat pump

Post by turbine » Tue. Jan. 14, 2014 1:06 am

I want to try a new method for encouraging stores to carry bagged coal within a reasonable distance. Please reply to this post listing including. 1)Zip code 2)How many pounds do you need per year 3) What size coal do you need. 4)Approximate price per pound , or bag that you paid last time. I plan to compile this info and share with retailers to prove likely demand they will have within a certain mileage radius of their store. We must lay the ground work for next year. Businesses are closing everyday. I do not want to be dependant on one source that is far away from me. This will work if we want local coal supplies. As for me , I'm near Richmond, Va. Thank You!! :)

1) 23875
2) 2000
3) nut, stove 2nd. choice
4).18

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Wed. Jan. 15, 2014 5:14 am

Here's my information -

1 ton of nut
1 ton of pea
22152 - Springfield, VA

I paid 6.50 per bag for the pallet price and 6.90 for the individual bag

Legendsingray
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983 Insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut/ Anthracite
Other Heating: Electric Heat pump

Post by Legendsingray » Wed. Jan. 15, 2014 10:13 am

2-2&1/2 tons of rice.
I pay between $6 & $7 a bag.

I'm in 24502 and its a 2.5 hour round trip for me to get it now.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Thu. Jan. 16, 2014 9:55 pm

is my zip and I need at least 2 tons a year .

I pay around $6/bag of blaschak anthracite
And I get it from wood stoves unlimited in northern VA .

turbine

Post by turbine » Fri. Jan. 17, 2014 1:45 am

Smokeyja, I am near Petersburg. I have been getting mine from JE Rice hardware in Manassas. This is my hope , If we get a group of people wanting to buy a ton or more per year, from the SAME store, I think it might work , to get retailers more local.

turbine

Post by turbine » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 2:39 am

I spoke quite a while with a manager at Tractor Supply about stocking anthracite coal. I gave him an empty Blaschak bag, and bagged samples of stove, nut, and rice. I also showed him a picture of my truck/trailer with 2 tons of bagged purchased from far away. Made him aware of this site, and hence large coal following. He said they may be able to get a few pallets to gauge demand. I am still working on the zip code / radius map. Everyone in Va. purchasing anthracite coal, please reply with a zip code , and how many pounds per year, and size needed. This hopefully will lead to a larger network of retail sellers, and shorter trips for coal. Thanks !!! :)

kaboom
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS2100WH
Coal Size/Type: nut/Anthracite
Other Heating: FHA/ LPG

Post by kaboom » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 12:25 pm

I am looking to change to another stove, so this is only a guesstimate.

Location is SW Virginia 24120
anthracite nut
about 2 ton/year
Last purchase was from Blue Ridge Heating and Air 24073
Blaschak anthracite $335/ton

Best, Bill

turbine

Post by turbine » Fri. Jan. 31, 2014 12:36 am

Legendsingray wrote:2-2&1/2 tons of rice.
I pay between $6 & $7 a bag.

I'm in 24502 and its a 2.5 hour round trip for me to get it now.
What zip code or county do you buy from?

turbine

Post by turbine » Fri. Jan. 31, 2014 12:41 am

Agri Service in Stafford, Va. only has 20 bags of rice left. They sell, nut, and stove also , but sold out of those until fall shipment.

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Fri. Jan. 31, 2014 3:16 am

turbine wrote:Agri Service in Stafford, Va. only has 20 bags of rice left. They sell, nut, and stove also , but sold out of those until fall shipment.
Hi,

This is one place I've never heard of selling coal. How much do you pay for a bag and what brand of coal is it? That's sure a lot closer than Jefferson, MD. Lisa

turbine

Post by turbine » Sat. Feb. 01, 2014 5:04 am

$7.70 / bag, if I remember, price maybe different in 6 months with new shipment. Agri service 91 Chriswood Ln.Stafford, Va. 22556 888-406-6067 http://www.Agriservicestafford.org. .Google overhead view shows It to be a farm ? J. E. Rice hardware in Manassas 703-361-3141, is also close to you from Springfield.

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Sat. Feb. 01, 2014 7:15 am

turbine wrote:$7.70 / bag, if I remember, price maybe different in 6 months with new shipment. Agri service 91 Chriswood Ln.Stafford, Va. 22556 888-406-6067 http://www.Agriservicestafford.org. .Google overhead view shows It to be a farm ? J. E. Rice hardware in Manassas 703-361-3141, is also close to you from Springfield.
I brought my stove from Rice Hardware and they have great customer service. I haven't brought any coal from them in years. I can get a better price a few mile down the road in Jefferson, MD. HR Summers also has a wider selection coal sizes and bulk coal is available if you want that. Even with the increased time and distance I think it's worth the trade off. Good luck, Lisa

turbine

Post by turbine » Sat. Feb. 01, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks Lisa, good to know about bulk supply. I will add it to my map. I am making a map of coal sellers and zip codes of coal users and how much they purchase. This info may be useful to help persuade a retailer to carry coal. Just for thought lets say 5 people from the same town drive 100 miles to get coal. They each asked a different retailer at there town to stock coal in there area. Reply, your the only one who asked, no we can't. Now if those 5 people had asked the same retailer , chances get a lot better. People who currently have coal near them may be helped also, eventually more retailers, more competition, better price.

I recommend when purchasing coal; if possible , purchase the same amount at the same time each month or year from the same retailer. A retailer must be able to accurately predict when they are ordering. Sporadic sales and inventory sitting until the next year will cause a retailer to question the wisdom of stocking coal.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Feb. 02, 2014 1:27 am

Hey Turbine . I have been thinking about this for a few years now and I have a little bit of land . Now these blaschak bags are poly bags so the sun doesn't effect them so I could out some pallets on my property. I didn't realize you were so close to me . I just bought a truck that can haul coal but I can only get one pallet in my bed and I have to buy a trailer so I can haul a few tons back at one time.

I really appreciate woodstoves unlimited and JE RIce offering coal to us . Yesterday I picked up a pallet of nut from blaschak because I ran out of coal this year already . Nice people really but I despise driving to northern Virginia to buy coal. No offense to anyone who lives there or near there but I believe this is were *censored* settle down in the US. The traffic is always horrible and you waste so much gas just sitting in it . With that being said I know a manager on a local tractor supply here in Richmond . Give me a count when you can on those willing to drive to central virginia for their heating coal.

On the other hand if these retailers don't want to move coal then let's talk about my abilities . I own a small business myself and I have a little bit of property so if push comes to shove we could price out shipments to my place . I have access to a forklift but if it's something that would be regular for a few years at least I could purchase a lift just for this . I don't know if there are enough central VA coal user to do this though. I know there is a guy down the street from me that burns coal. I'm also looking into buying bulk bituminous coal for heating and blacksmithing purposes . It's fairly cheap by the ton and it cost to much locally . All ideas though. Like I said I hate northern virginia so even if I had to drive south or west it would be better than north.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”