Central VA Coal Source?

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon. Dec. 20, 2010 4:35 pm

I'm in Richmond and currently burning some leftover coal from someone's basement in my Petit Godin. I'm running low and it's not very far into the season. I've searched for sources of coal (anthracite or bit) in central Virginia, but there's none to be had. Seems silly to drive all the way to Manassas and back for a few bags; I might as well just burn wood. Anyone know of a coal source in Central Virginia?

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Mon. Dec. 20, 2010 6:07 pm

Lisa (Lowfog01) responded to my question about coal in VA in this link....

Anthracite Availability in Richmond, VA

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon. Dec. 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Thank you. I did review those posts before writing. Since they were over a year old, I thought I'd give it another shot. It is not worth it for me to drive all the way to Leesburg or Manassas or Maryland for a few bags of coal, and no one delivers down here. I will use up what coal I have (generously given to me by someone with old coal in their basement) and continue asking local folks to look in their basements for forgotten stashes of coal. I'll also order another load of firewood; looks like that's going to be more practical down here. Too bad, because I do like my coal fire.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Tue. Dec. 21, 2010 5:45 am

Hi Julie,

No, there are no new suppliers of coal in Central VA that I'm aware of. There was a farm store in Culpeper that you didn't mention but that's no way close to Richmond either. I agree it's not economically feasible for you to drive that far for a few bags of coal. What I would do is look for either a coal company such as Mike Tower, he is on the forum and see if he can deliver bulk or bagged at a reasonable price. I would also look into the cost of renting a truck and making one trip to the closest coal dealer to get my years supply in one trip. You will not save anything on bagged coal by going all the way to NEPA so just go to the closest place. I know that even with the cost of truck rental I would still be saving money on my heating bill, just not as much. Sorry, there aren't very many options available to us in VA. Good Luck, Lisa

ffcuz

Post by ffcuz » Tue. Dec. 21, 2010 5:05 pm

Still not real close to you but there are at least three places around Harrisonburg you can get coal. Two carry loose two carry bagged and one carries bagged only.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue. Dec. 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks so much for that information. I doubt I'll be in Harrisonburg any time soon, but you never know. Perhaps the next time I go to DC, I'll stop by Manassas. I don't get up there much (I used to live there but funny what a difference 100 miles makes), but a spring trip might be in order.

I found a good source of local firewood, so that'll do me for this winter. Enjoy your coal, NEPA folks! Looks like I'll be done with mine by the end of the week. It's so nice to not have my heat pump kick on at all during the day.

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Tue. Dec. 21, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi Julie,

I had a thought - it does happen occasionally. I bet if you were to put a listing on Craigs List for unwanted or unused coal found in basements in the older section of Richmond you will find someone looking for a way to get rid of some. A lot guys on the forum have struck it big following the Craigs List for free coal. I remember one member saying he has never paid for coal. It may mean you'd have to move it and it's not in bags but hey, it's free coal and it's local. Good luck, Lisa

david78
Baseburners & Antiques: Fuller & Warren Splendid Oak 27
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by david78 » Wed. Dec. 22, 2010 8:26 am

ffcuz wrote:Still not real close to you but there are at least three places around Harrisonburg you can get coal. Two carry loose two carry bagged and one carries bagged only.
How about some details on those Harrisonburg sources? Thanks.

ffcuz

Post by ffcuz » Wed. Dec. 22, 2010 9:26 am

RS Monger Harrisonburg anthracite (Superior) and bit coal loose. Monger coald and oil Elkton anthracite (Blaschak) and bit loose and bagged. Edwards aans Sons Port Republic Blaschak and Reading Bagged. PM me if you want I will give you my phone #.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed. Dec. 22, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks, Lisa. That's how I got my current supply of coal--about one big trashcan's worth. I didn't put a note on Craig's List, but made a contact through a woodstove forum. The coal lasted about one month. I don't use the stove everyday; it depends if I'm home all day or have to go out. I work from home, so I'm often home all day. I will take your suggestion to put something on Craig's List. I like local and free, that's for sure. And hey, if it helps clean out someone's basement, that's okay, too.

I cringe to think of the mountain of coal left in my grandmother's house when she sold it! She had converted to gas at that point, but still had a big pile in the basement. That was some years ago, but I bet there are still basements of coal around. Many houses in my neighborhood of historic houses have coal doors for delivery.

Thanks for all the helpful information. Nice that Harrisonburg has a few sources of anthracite.

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Thu. Dec. 23, 2010 3:40 am

HI Julie,

The Ace Hardware on Liberia Ave does have coal but the last time I spoke with them were only stocking rice coal in bags. They said they would order any size you want but you'd definitely want to call first. Good luck, Lisa

Legendsingray
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983 Insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut/ Anthracite
Other Heating: Electric Heat pump

Post by Legendsingray » Fri. Dec. 24, 2010 5:05 pm

There is a mennitite farmer in Nathalie (near South Boston) who sells Blaschak. He is cash only. I don't know about nut coal, but he only sells rice coal by the pallet. His name is Henry Swartzentruber. His # is 434-454-7418.

Another idea is to email Blaschak and give them your address and ask for the nearest dealer. That is how I found the above, (but don't use their "contact us" form as they will never get back w/ you).

turbine
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hand fed coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut , stove
Other Heating: heat pump

Post by turbine » Fri. Jan. 21, 2011 9:52 pm

I made the drive this week to Rice True Value in Manassas. I got 2 tons of bagged Blaschak anthracite, they have nut and stove size.
Price incl. tax = .15 /Lb. I will be getting my Harman TLC 2000 soon!! Had it with cuttin' wood. When enough people bend the ears of stove dealers/ mid size locally owned hardware stores they will stock it. I sent Blaschak coal company an email also.

Does anybody know the name, number, or address of the farm store in Culpepper with coal ?

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Fri. Jan. 21, 2011 11:26 pm

It's great to know that about Rice Hardware in Mananas. This is the time of year I get nervous watching my coal pile shrink. Mananas is a lot closer for a couple of bags then my usually source. The internet says the Culpeper store is

County Farm Service,
325 Wausau Place
Culpeper, VA 22701
1-540-825-2381
1-877-825-2381

The website didn't say they deal with coal specially so I'd definitely call them before going.

Your right about developing local dealers, my ACE hardware has said he will carry Blaschak if there were a market for it. He made some calls and is ready; the problem is I can't get anyone to even consider coal as a heating source. It is a slow uphill climb. Lisa

Thanks again, Lisa

Legendsingray
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983 Insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut/ Anthracite
Other Heating: Electric Heat pump

Post by Legendsingray » Sat. Jan. 22, 2011 9:58 am

I know there used to be a place in Culpeper called Woodstoves Unlimited. Don't know if they are still open or their phone number but they sold Blacshack. Wonder if we Co-Oped together enough to order a tractor trailer load from Blacshack if they would deliver to a common "public" truck terminal where we could pick it up?

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”