Central VA Coal Source?

turbine
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hand fed coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut , stove
Other Heating: heat pump

Post by turbine » Sat. Jan. 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Thank for the Info.about Culpepper.

I got 2 tons from Rice True Value 703-361-3141 (closed Sun.) in Manassas 01/19/11. Looked like they had a good supply nut and stove size.

LISA You said that there may be an Ace Hardware cosidering stocking coal. Would you provide the location. One more person like me calling about coal could only help.

I contacted Blaschak coal and suggested selling for pallete pick up at trucking terminals. I told them they could have a monopoly here. They wouldn't have competition on every corner like where they are located.

BIG PROBLEM stove dealers don't stock coal stoves, because there in no coal here to fuel it.
mom and pop hardware don't stock coal, there are no coal burners at the stove dealer.

It is amazing, here in America we can buy junk at any department store from every corner of the globe.
We have a truly valuable product supporting American industry just up the roadyway, but can't get it.

We must turn up the heat to get coal here!

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sat. Jan. 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Fisher Ace hardware in Springfield suggested that he would be willing to stock coal if he had the demand but right now that demand isn't there. The local stove stores aren't interested in selling coal stoves, they are barely interested in Pellet stoves. I went to the stove store in Fairfax - the only coal stove store on record - and they didn't even have any coal stoves on the floor but would order me one and "oh by the way, don't you know that they are illegal in Fairfax County?" What?, says I. "Yeah, the county won't even allow installation of coal stoves in the county so they are illegal." "That's why I have no demand for them." He has been telling anyone who asked that. So I proceeded to tell him he was wrong, that I had a coal stove in the county and it had been inspected by the county code people and had all the paper work done and approved. The county doesn't care what you burn in your stove, just that it's installed right. He didn't care and blew me off so I left without the door gasket I was there for. He also doesn't stock pellets for the stoves he sells. Oh yeah, he also told me he didn't stock coal because he had no way to keep it dry and that ruined the coal. I got the impression his big money item was gas logs.

All that being said, I have noticed an increase in the amount of folks interested in burning coal. Not interested enough to actually take the leap but interested enough to talk to me about it. I think more folks will be more interested as the Obama administration "necessarily causes our energy costs to raise." I hope it's not too late for them. As a side note, that's why I'm going to get my next year's coal in just as soon as this heating season is over. We do live in interesting times. Take care, Lisa

turbine

Post by turbine » Sun. Jan. 23, 2011 11:25 pm

I think it would be very tricky to get a shipment at trucking terminal for a group of people. I think a better idea is a local hardware such as the Ace hardware Lisa mentioned. A group of us would probably have to prepay at the Ace before they order a truckful of coal they don't think they can sell. But after selling a truck load they might routinely stock it. I am pretty sure the truck is 24 tons/ at the bag price I paid = $7200. or $300/ton = (50-40Lb. bgs.)

I may be on board for this based on the store location. I am located 30 Mi. S. of Richmond near Fort Lee.
Can this idea be posted on Craigslist to get enough people at the same time for shipment ??

Turbine

turbine

Post by turbine » Sun. Jan. 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Good for you Lisa, set people straight when they are wrong.

When you see that guy again, ask how long the coal can get wet in train freight cars before it is goes bad !!

I went to a dealer to see a Hitzer coal/wood model, told me EPA cert. U.S. coal only , Canada wood or coal.

I bought Harman TLC2000, I figure one day we will have to register the stove numbers to get fuel. Who would ever have thought you would have use a drivers permit to get decongestant.!!

Turbine

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Jan. 24, 2011 11:02 am

Please update your profile using the user control Panel. I promise you I won't turn in to a stalker if I know the town you live in. Lisa

turbine

Post by turbine » Sun. Jan. 30, 2011 2:42 pm

Maybe Craigslist List could be used to increase the awareness of coal and or the NEPACrossroads site. I think a lot of people would switch from wood if they had the information about coal; thereby increasing local coal supply. They have a forums section, I don't know how or if a coal topic could be added. I have seen people in the past seaching on the wanted section for coal. The places that do have coal, could they be listed on Craigs with that stores permission to post, so when people search on Craigs for coal, that will increase store traffic. Stores are allways checking to see what the other merchants have that they don't.

blairthomas

Post by blairthomas » Mon. Feb. 14, 2011 6:04 pm

Woodstoves Unlimited is still very much in business, they are my normal supplier of Anthracite. I normally get 2 pallets, one in Oct/Nov, then the other around Jan. I had extra from last season, so it threw off my purchase schedule, now they are short on supply and sold out.

Found your forum Googling for Anthracite dealers.

I live in Culpeper, hoping to find some close by.

Blair

turbine

Post by turbine » Mon. Feb. 14, 2011 11:09 pm

Rice Hardware in Manassas had Blasckak. :) Calling Blaschak may reveal supplies close to you. Reading has 2 places Port Republic and Christiansburg. I do not know of thier current inventory. :?

coal1

Post by coal1 » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 12:08 pm

Please contact us if you are in need of Coal in the Richmond area.

Martin Farms - Stove Coal
408-431-2660
Last edited by coal1 on Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coal1

Post by coal1 » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 10:16 pm

Martin Farms
New Kent, Virginia

Supplying 15 lb boxes or 60 lb bags of stove coal to Central VA.
Free delivery to Richmond area.

turbine

Post by turbine » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 10:23 pm

408 area code is in california , please explain. :shock:

coal1

Post by coal1 » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 10:31 pm

cell phone number

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 10:34 pm

what are your prices & from which mine do you deal?? yes I know there is always a delivery charge except real local

coal1

Post by coal1 » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 11:34 pm

Coal is from West Virginia. Prices vary with the size of order and time of year. Typical cost for smaller orders is $20 / 60 lb bag and $10 / 15 lb box. The boxes are meant for stacking in a store front with no mess.

V/r

Martin Farms

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Mar. 28, 2011 5:26 am

coal1 wrote:Coal is from West Virginia. Prices vary with the size of order and time of year. Typical cost for smaller orders is $20 / 60 lb bag and $10 / 15 lb box. The boxes are meant for stacking in a store front with no mess.

V/r

Martin Farms
What kind of coal are you selling? West Virginia coal is usually bituminous. Most of us here burn anthracite. That price seems a little steep, too; even given the fact that you
are in Richmond. I pay 6.70 for a 40lbs bag. Lisa Grantham

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”