Central VA Coal Source?

turbine
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hand fed coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut , stove
Other Heating: heat pump

Post by turbine » Mon. Nov. 03, 2014 1:21 am

I just contacted another local too me hardware store about selling bag coal.
Seems promising , they sell lots of hard too find stuff, and have friendly staff. Thacker Ace Hardware 804-861-6700, located at South tip of Petersburg (23805), 1 mile off of interstate 95. They do not have coal yet !Tell me how many bags you would buy per year from them, and how far you currently travel too get coal. Me- 50 bags / 125 mi. one way. I will use this info too prove to them if they stock it , they will sell it.

If we can group together buyers say in a 50 mile radius who would contact a single open minded retailer. Maybe then we can buy it closer, have it delivered, and eventually competitive prices.

Thank You!! :D

Motor857
Stoker Coal Boiler: DVC-500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark I and Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Rice

Post by Motor857 » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 8:51 am

Legendsingray wrote:I know there used to be a place in Culpeper called Woodstoves Unlimited. Don't know if they are still open or their phone number but they sold Blacshack. Wonder if we Co-Oped together enough to order a tractor trailer load from Blacshack if they would deliver to a common "public" truck terminal where we could pick it up?
Woodstoves Unlimited is a great shop! I live in Culpeper and these guys are my go-to. They are not the normal "Harman Dealer" guys I hear about on here. Sam is the owner, and Rick is his right hand man- they will both go out of their way to help. Their # is 540-825-5838 Prices are currently $405 for 2500# in 50# bags of any type you want. Delivery is extra, but they will deliver anywhere in Central/Northern VA. Just my 2 cents.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Dec. 14, 2014 9:12 am

Motor857 wrote:
Legendsingray wrote:I know there used to be a place in Culpeper called Woodstoves Unlimited. Don't know if they are still open or their phone number but they sold Blacshack. Wonder if we Co-Oped together enough to order a tractor trailer load from Blacshack if they would deliver to a common "public" truck terminal where we could pick it up?
Woodstoves Unlimited is a great shop! I live in Culpeper and these guys are my go-to. They are not the normal "Harman Dealer" guys I hear about on here. Sam is the owner, and Rick is his right hand man- they will both go out of their way to help. Their # is 540-825-5838 Prices are currently $405 for 2500# in 50# bags of any type you want. Delivery is extra, but they will deliver anywhere in Central/Northern VA. Just my 2 cents.
They are failing to mention to their customers that they are not selling you Blashak Anthracite this year . Coal is not just coal and I was blindsided by them when I picked up a skid of nut. They also will charge you a 3% fee for using a credit card. They are currently selling Kimmel coal which they did not inform me of and there website still states they sell Blashak coal which is white ash vs the Kimmel Red ash. They are also charging roughly $100 more than tractor supply for 2500lbs of Kimmel . I purchased Blashak from them for the past three years but I will never purchase from them again. If you want to buy Kimmel coal then I suggest going to the closest tractor supply as they will save you a lot of money and not charge you for using a credit card . That's just bad business .

Tractor supply sells it for approx. .12¢/lb
Woodstoves unlimited sells it for .16¢/lb

Now take 2500x.12 = $300 and 2500x.16 = $400

Now the tractor supply in Dinwiddie VA is selling it for 4.99/40lb bags which is broken down into the numbers I gave you. Look at the map and see how much farther they are from culpeper and tell me why again that woodstoves unlimited is charging so much more for the same coal when they are a good deal closer than the tractor supply in Dinwiddie VA ? They can't blame it on the delivery fee .
Last edited by Smokeyja on Sun. Dec. 14, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Dec. 14, 2014 9:29 am

turbine wrote:I just contacted another local too me hardware store about selling bag coal.
Seems promising , they sell lots of hard too find stuff, and have friendly staff. Thacker Ace Hardware 804-861-6700, located at South tip of Petersburg (23805), 1 mile off of interstate 95. They do not have coal yet !Tell me how many bags you would buy per year from them, and how far you currently travel too get coal. Me- 50 bags / 125 mi. one way. I will use this info too prove to them if they stock it , they will sell it.

If we can group together buyers say in a 50 mile radius who would contact a single open minded retailer. Maybe then we can buy it closer, have it delivered, and eventually competitive prices.

Thank You!! :D
I called the Dinwiddie tractor supply and they said that they will be selling Kimmel coal regularly . They are getting another load in this coming wed.

SaBer56
Other Heating: electric/propane

Post by SaBer56 » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 11:43 am

Looking for source for nut coal in central VA. County Farm in Culpeper doesn't sell coal. Tractor Supply hasn't received any in 2022 or 2023.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”