Blaschak Bagged Coal is Very Wet and Freezing

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sun. Dec. 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Yanche wrote:But, where is it? Not just what's listed on Blaschak's Web site but an actual location that exists in Google maps. It's like they want to keep it a secret.

This doesn't help ....

Blaschak Coal Corporation
P.O. Box 12 Mahanoy City, PA 17948

Conveniently located off Interstate 81 Exits 131B (Mahanoy City) or 124B (Frackville)
John you would take the frackville exit go thur frackville to get to Mahony city about 6 miles from I-81
Remember the holiday in you stayed out off of I-81 well that is the same exit you would take to go to Mahanoy city
Thur frackville Also they have a breaker at ravine exit 104 I -81 26 miles closer from the frackville exit
When or if you come up to UAE I will take you to Mahony city /Blaschak not that far from UAE also Blaschak has one of
there pit mines across the road from UAE

lobstah
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by lobstah » Sun. Dec. 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Where can I go, or who can I call to get Blaschak bagged or bulk coal near breaker. Will be traveling to Pa. from Maine to pick up 5 or 6 tons. I did not think you could go direct to them, maybe I am mistaken. Thanks.

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Sun. Dec. 19, 2010 3:12 pm

lobstah wrote:Where can I go, or who can I call to get Blaschak bagged or bulk coal near breaker. Will be traveling to Pa. from Maine to pick up 5 or 6 tons. I did not think you could go direct to them, maybe I am mistaken. Thanks.
You can pick it up at Mahanoy city, I have. Pull on the scale, the lady will wave you on, then go up the hill to the left and pull under the chute for the coal you want(they are marked) someone will come to the window tell him what you want. Then once you are loaded go back to the scale, the lady will wave you in to pay

From Maine? won't any savings be used in fuel? Or will this be a road trip for fun and not much savings?

Eric

lobstah
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by lobstah » Sun. Dec. 19, 2010 3:39 pm

$ 300.00 a ton here. I get good mileage with my Chevy diesel and trailer. According to mapquest I am 6.5 to 7 hours away. I have will have to crunch the numbers again. Can you get bagged there also. If so how much per ton ?

Chuck_Steak
Coal Size/Type: mostly nut, sometimes stove, Santa brand

Post by Chuck_Steak » Sun. Dec. 19, 2010 9:10 pm

lobstah wrote:$ 300.00 a ton here. I get good mileage with my Chevy diesel and trailer. According to mapquest I am 6.5 to 7 hours away. I have will have to crunch the numbers again. Can you get bagged there also. If so how much per ton ?
I'll bet that is about what it's going to cost you to do it yourself... (for bagged)
not even considering your time.

Hot Rocks
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hyfire II
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Water Coil

Post by Hot Rocks » Thu. Dec. 23, 2010 7:56 am

Lobstah if you are going to drive to PA for coal, I would go to uae harmony mine it is 16 miles from blaschak 150.00 per ton.uae does not have bagged coal , I do not know if you can buy bagged coal at blaschak, coalberner would know.If you go to uae and you want oiled coal, take a garden sprayer they sell oil 8.00 per gallon, spray the oil when they are loading you.

gumptruck

Post by gumptruck » Thu. Dec. 23, 2010 8:06 am

Hotrocks will they oil coal or do u need to oil coal yourself? How do you do it yourself asthey are loading u.

coalrunner
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 260

Post by coalrunner » Fri. Dec. 24, 2010 7:02 am

not to put down blaschak but recently I was about out of coal and couldn't get to my usual supplier so I bought a couple bags of blaschak to get me through.( I like to try other coals anyway to compare) anyways,blaschak was one of the worst coals I have ever tried. way too much ash and not the heat I'm used to.looked to have a lot of slate? in it(not shiny at all).said on the bag it was from the old refuse piles so maybe that was it.definitely wont buy again. just wanted to put my opinion in

Hot Rocks
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hyfire II
Other Heating: Water Coil

Post by Hot Rocks » Fri. Dec. 24, 2010 7:15 am

gumptruck they load you with a skid loader, I think 4 buckets is about 1 ton. I take a 2 gallon garden sprayer and spray the oil as they load me. The one guy at uae told me he uses about 1 gallon per ton.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 24, 2010 8:14 am

I agree,terrible stuff,any other brand would be better ;)
coalrunner wrote:not to put down blaschak but recently I was about out of coal and couldn't get to my usual supplier so I bought a couple bags of blaschak to get me through.( I like to try other coals anyway to compare) anyways,blaschak was one of the worst coals I have ever tried. way too much ash and not the heat I'm used to.looked to have a lot of slate? in it(not shiny at all).said on the bag it was from the old refuse piles so maybe that was it.definitely wont buy again. just wanted to put my opinion in

fastcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut/Stove Mix

Post by fastcat » Fri. Dec. 24, 2010 8:25 am

Hey Fred, you changing brand yet? :o :box:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Dec. 24, 2010 8:30 am

Personally I have burned a tractor trailer load worth of nut in the last three years, various brands including Blaschak...it all burned great for me.

-Rob

Johnshan

Post by Johnshan » Mon. Dec. 27, 2010 11:05 am

Well their nut coal is perfectly dry, and the rice coal is usually not this wet, but this year it has been awful. I have burned a bit over a ton now and its not getting better.

I would like to try a different brand of coal but I like the 40 lbs bags and the local supplier is cheapest at $330 a pallet (1.2 tons). I tried a ton of kimmels 2 years ago and noticed no difference in heat output or ash content, and their bags are 10 lbs heavier :) I am in Southern Maine and I use Southern Maine Renewable Fuels, they are GREAT people.

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Mon. Dec. 27, 2010 12:45 pm

Johnshan wrote:Well their nut coal is perfectly dry, and the rice coal is usually not this wet, but this year it has been awful. I have burned a bit over a ton now and its not getting better.

I would like to try a different brand of coal but I like the 40 lbs bags and the local supplier is cheapest at $330 a pallet (1.2 tons). I tried a ton of kimmels 2 years ago and noticed no difference in heat output or ash content, and their bags are 10 lbs heavier :) I am in Southern Maine and I use Southern Maine Renewable Fuels, they are GREAT people.
I've gotten to the point where I refuse to buy Blaschak coal in a bag. Way too much water for my system. Kimmels has a lot of water in it too if it is stored outside but unlike Blaschak it will dry out through the woven bag.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Mon. Dec. 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Last year the Blaschak rice coal was always soaked and so much of the rice always stuck to the inside of the bag. The bags could be sitting next to the stove in an 80* room for a week or so and it wouldn't dry out. Burning stove coal now and it's a little wet but no where near how the rice was last year.

Where is there a place to buy Kimmel's coal in Mass, or NH?

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”