Blaschak Bagged Coal is Very Wet and Freezing

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Mon. Jan. 17, 2011 1:37 pm

wlape3 wrote:
av8r wrote:Huh...all the Blaschak rice I've burned this year has been slightly damp, but hardly soaking wet like many of you describe. Weird?
Not really. The worst of the wetness problems seem to be associated with storing the stuff outside. If you store yours inside and your dealer does too that can make a big difference. My dealer stores his outside and so do I. All it takes is a little rain. Even pallets which were stretch wrapped from the bagging plant were still very wet when I opened them. The woven bags breath better and do not build up as much water.
Same as me...dealer stores outside as do I.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Jan. 28, 2011 6:27 pm

I've been in the bagging plant,, I've seen the operation, the dryers, the conveyor of dry coal getting dumped into the bags prior to sealing the bag shut.. I promise you, the coal is NOT wet when it is bagged,, the warehouse floor adjacent to the bagging machine is bone-dry..

All the moisture gets in the shipment after it leaves the bagging plant.. a trip on a flat bed truck at 70-80mph, in driving rain will soak everything, and sitting outside doesn't help either.. aparently the plastic 'wrap' is not very good at sealing out rain/moisture.

I've seen some pretty wet bags of coal,, and it's pretty amazing after I've seen how dry the coal is when it went into the bag..

Greg L.

international86
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A-80
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil hot air

Post by international86 » Sat. Jan. 29, 2011 6:28 pm

This is my first year burning coal. I'm using Reading, and it's pretty damp, but that hasn't been a problem for me. I store it in the cellar so it isn't frozen. I only use a bag or less a day, so by evening, the heat from the furnace behind the hopper has dried everything out.

Pocono Pete
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 111
Coal Size/Type: Rice Anthracite

Post by Pocono Pete » Sun. Jan. 30, 2011 10:10 am

I just purchased my second pallet of Blaschak coal. The first was very wet down to the last bag, the second one seems to be dry with no moisture in the bags. They both were wrapped in plastic, the only difference I noticed was were the dealer stored them. First pallet was outside in their yard while the second one was inside their loading dock. The week before I bought the first pallet we had a huge amount of rain in the Poconos.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 30, 2011 12:13 pm

There's your sign--you'd think with the money most of these dealers are making--they could at least put up a lean-to :doh: toothy

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Jan. 30, 2011 2:05 pm

I haven't taken any bags of Blaschak rice for a while, but when I did they were always wet, even when they came from a dealer who stored them indoors.

Mike

kenwood820s

Post by kenwood820s » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Yes we are haveing the same problem never had this happen before and its really not burning all that good.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Mine is very wet this year too. Water weights 8lbs per gallon, so if you make a bag absorb 1/2 gallon thats 4lbs.

So 60 bags per pallet would equal 240lbs of water. :mad: I guess I should dry a bag completely and weight it before suggest its being done on purpose.

The meat packers have been doing this for years.

Bk

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 2:19 pm

The coal is bagged dry. I'm confident you are getting your money's worth. If you think otherwise, dry a bag worth of coal and put it on a calibrated scale/balance; post back with the results.

Every pallet of bagged coal that I have bought in the winter has been very wet, regardless of brand. I keep a few weeks worth of coal inside, open the bags to let them air dry, and sometimes "stage" a couple hundred pounds in a tote next to the drain. Next year you can bet that I will have my coal ready before the snow flies.

-Rob

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Rob,
I don't understand why wet coal would bother an EFM user. I open the bags and dump into the 55 gallon drum and let the water go out the hole in the bottom into a bucket Sometimes, cleaning out a bin, there is snow mixed in. All goes into the barrel and the water comes out the hole in the bottom :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 7:28 pm

Scott, I was concerned that the coal would bridge if it was too wet (or in frozen chunks). I have a hole in my drum also, but no water has made it through as of yet.

-Rob

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 10:42 pm

I've dumped 3- 5gallon pails so far this winter. I want it wet. It keeps the dust to a minimum. :)

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Feb. 03, 2011 7:21 am

I've been burning Blaschak for 3 years now. 4 pallets a year. When handleing the bags right from the dealer with plastic shrink wrap the bags have been dry. After I was storeing them stacked out in the open water did get in for sure. I keep them covered now so usually no problem with wet coal for me.
But so far this season I've been burning 24/7 since October and Blaschak has been great. No complaints. The box seems to be glowing all red so I can't see any large build ups of clinkers,unburnt stuff.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Feb. 03, 2011 7:30 am

yea,that Blaschak is terrible stuff--I wouldn't buy it :roll:

Ciscoborb
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak

Post by Ciscoborb » Mon. Mar. 14, 2011 11:51 am

I've been burning Blaschak rice, bagged, and haven't had any problems. I store it in my unheated garage and occasionally have chunks but hasn't been a problem. :!:

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”