Where Is the Bulk Anthracite in MI ?

creggh

Post by creggh » Wed. Dec. 15, 2010 4:19 pm

I know there is not a lot of us coal burners in Michigan, but doesn't anybody have bulk Anthracite in Michigan. I am will to drive 100-200 miles if the bulk price was right, but it looks like I would have to drive all the way to the mines, in PA, which would be 300-400 miles. It seems like several off us should get together and get a gravel train of coal delivered and split the price. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Im located in Oakland county, 30 miles NW of Detriot. Thank, Cregg

jeromemsn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90 dvc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman elite fireplace insert

Post by jeromemsn » Wed. Dec. 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Be patient, those that know will soon come to your aid. One place to check is Craigslist. I have seen a few listing from a guy over that way that sells bulk coal and also bagged coal.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Wed. Dec. 15, 2010 9:14 pm

http://www.bandwlandscape.com/

13.5 cents a pound.

There is also a place in Fowlerville Michigan. See the Michigan thread..

creggh

Post by creggh » Thu. Dec. 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks, I called Victor in Jonesville and he knows a lot about burning coal. I am going to go down and see his setup with Leisure line over Christmas. I did call the landscape company in Clinton township and it is $285.00 a ton with tax, which isn't too bad for Michigan. Only problem with bulk, you could be stuck with a ton of bad coal. Thanks.

plow

Post by plow » Wed. Dec. 29, 2010 5:21 pm

let me know if there is one other than fowlerville,,,angelo's in wixom may have coal???

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Dec. 31, 2010 8:40 pm

creggh wrote:Thanks, I called Victor in Jonesville and he knows a lot about burning coal. I am going to go down and see his setup with Leisure line over Christmas. I did call the landscape company in Clinton township and it is $285.00 a ton with tax, which isn't too bad for Michigan. Only problem with bulk, you could be stuck with a ton of bad coal. Thanks.
I have had no problem so far..

1ton

Post by 1ton » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 1:47 pm

The guy out in Fowlerville his name is scott and he bought 18 pallets total of rice and stove coal he himself uses rice, but he had stove coal for sale that’s where I bought mine, this was the first year I burned coal so it was a good deal for me, he was about 15 mile west of me. I don’t know if he is going to do it or not but he would like to get a co-op together and have a truck of 24 pallets delivered to one place, that way it’s cheaper that way, one delivery fee. So all in all it would be a good idea, you would have to know how much you burn in a season. you can find him here and on Craigs list

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 7:28 pm

I would be interested in that..

swededoc

Post by swededoc » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 5:20 pm

Fellow Michiganders,

I'm down here near Ann Arbor burning 3 - 4 tons of rice/yr. for my shop (DVC-500). I've been buying Blaschak bagged rice from 'Storey Stone' in Jackson, and more recently from 'Chelsea Rentals' in Chelsea. They're both running at close to $7. a 40lb.bag. Yikes--we gotta do better than that!! A buddy and I are trimming houses down in Carlton. He comes in from Milan on his way to Carlton, and mentioned to me that he noticed a guy selling coal in Willis, so I checked it out -- 20 minutes from my house and I never knew he was there. It's 'Gaspar Recycling', and they sell bulk for less than 10 cents/lb. I don't know what breaker it comes from, all they could tell me is its anthracite from PA. I haven't tried it yet, since they only carry stove and lump sizes, and it looks like they just have a couple of dumpster loads. They're at 734-587-3710 if it's of any use to you guys. Probably too far south for most of you.

I'm also now the owner of a Quaker #6 baseheater, which I bought and had restored 'sight unseen'. It will use the stove coal. Just have the minor detail of building a chimney this summer before I can put her to use. It's also a rather LARGE stove, which kind of overpowers our LR. I'm considering selling the Quaker and purchasing an EFM or AA stoker to tie in with my existing gas boiler, but that would burn rice or buck -- neither of which this local guy carries. If the work holds up, I'll keep the Quaker and put her in the barn for when the DVC-500 dies.

Bottom line: maybe by the end of this summer I'd be game to go in on a load of rice -- maybe half or third of a 24 ton load? That is, if work and funds hold up. But consider me a potential candidate for sharing a load, and let's keep in touch. Anybody know where Greg L gets his coal? I'm sure he's checked it out, and I think he's up near Flint.

377 chevy

Post by 377 chevy » Sun. Feb. 13, 2011 3:14 pm

I would be interested in splitting a load of coal with you guys. Im south west of flint about 15 miles in a town called Byron.I built a Boiler that I can use coal or wood in and was looking for some people that wanted to go in on a load of coal.I've had a hard time finding coal around here if any one had some input that would be great. Thanks

Michacite

Post by Michacite » Tue. Feb. 15, 2011 10:18 pm

I am north of Albion in Jackson County. I burn Stove Coal in my Harman SF 3500 Furnace and it is a hungry beast!. Last year I went through 15 tons and drove to Fruitport for Reading Coal to a great guy there who sold it for $275 or so I think. It was so much cheaper than Storey where I got my first coal, that it was worth the trip to buy 3 tons at a time. I also drove to Northern Indiana to try to find it cheaper. I am interested in a bulk delivery as well. It is painful to spend $3,000 to heat a 3600 sq ft house! I tried wood this year and have gone through 10 full cords and went back to coal a week ago. Happiness for me would be a bulk load of coal!

Jim

wingnut74

Post by wingnut74 » Sat. Feb. 19, 2011 1:19 am

I'd be interested in chipping in on a load as well. I am in Hartland, just north of M-59 & US 23. I have two Vermont Castings Vigilant's and I bought 4 tons so far this year, which I hope will be enough to get me through this season.

jeromemsn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90 dvc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman elite fireplace insert

Post by jeromemsn » Sat. Feb. 19, 2011 11:16 am

Wow you fellas are burning some coal..

Best person to get in touch with for buying bulk would be "Coal bener" He has coal in his blood and knows who can get you a load of coal out here.

agreen34

Post by agreen34 » Sat. Mar. 19, 2011 6:19 pm

i need information on how to get a load of bulk coal delivered in MI? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DennisH
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon-Eagle Klondike IV
Other Heating: Propane

Post by DennisH » Thu. Apr. 07, 2011 11:46 am

If anybody in the Upper Peninsula (Escanaba area) has any ideas of sharing a trailer-load, I'd be interested in a holler. My coal distributor is a fine gent and gives great service. I'm paying him $450 for a 2400# skid (or $375 per 2000# "ton") for bagged Blaschak nut coal, and maybe in retrospect, that's a good price. Considering how far away we are from the coal fields. However, if two or three of you in the U.P. were considering a trailer-load purchase and were able to get a price better that what I have above, I'd be game buy 1/4 or 1/3 of a trailer load. (18 pallets I believe, in a trailer load)

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”