Coal Suppliers for Western, Middle Ct

Got Coal? You can make dealer inquiries here for both anthracite and bituminous coal. Co-op information for those looking to purchase in bulk as a group. Reviews on different brands and dealers.
wwct
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 6:51 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Harmon Mark II

Post Fri. Dec. 03, 2010 8:40 pm

M & S Coal Sales - 570-644-1469
Gypsy from PA, been buying from him for 15 yrs. Bulk only. Hit on some bad time, but seems to be back in business :) He's hit or miss on his schedule, and you don't know the breaker, but it's always good stuff.

Charlie Gutowski Coal Sales - 860-283-5640
Charlie is from Northfield, CT. Sells bagged or bulk from Blashek. Course he's 80, and I bought 2 yrs ago from him (when the bad times hit above). Found him finally on Craig's list. Nice guy, very responsible, always returns phone-email.

BTW, I hate bagged coal. As a 5' 2" widow, they're like handling a screaming toddler throwing themselves backwards. Just had me a shovel.

Hope this helps somebody :D

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

User avatar
Uglysquirrel
Member
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono

Post Fri. Dec. 03, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks, I'm in Manchester. Where is Northfield ?

beemerboy
Member
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat. Feb. 23, 2008 11:11 am
Stove/Furnace Make: SAEY
Stove/Furnace Model: Hannover 1
Location: North East Connecticut

Post Sat. Dec. 04, 2010 9:17 am

I get my bulk from Phelps and Sons in Vernon, Ct.
"All I need on my journey is a wooded path, a dog by side to guide me home and a bench to sit on when I get tired." - Wayne, 2012.

User avatar
EasyRay
Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu. Nov. 16, 2006 8:44 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove
Location: Central Connecticut

Post Sat. Dec. 04, 2010 10:58 am

Uglysquirrel wrote:Thanks, I'm in Manchester. Where is Northfield ?
Its in Litchfield County. Northfield is north of Thomaston. Route 254 runs north west out of Thomaston right through Northfield. Thomaston is west of Bristol.
Regards, Ray

User avatar
cokehead
Member
Posts: 1951
Joined: Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502
Location: Mystic, CT
Contact:

Post Sat. Dec. 04, 2010 12:39 pm

wwct wrote:M & S Coal Sales - 570-644-1469
Gypsy from PA, been buying from him for 15 yrs. Bulk only. Hit on some bad time, but seems to be back in business :) He's hit or miss on his schedule, and you don't know the breaker, but it's always good stuff.

Charlie Gutowski Coal Sales - 860-283-5640
Charlie is from Northfield, CT. Sells bagged or bulk from Blashek. Course he's 80, and I bought 2 yrs ago from him (when the bad times hit above). Found him finally on Craig's list. Nice guy, very responsible, always returns phone-email.

BTW, I hate bagged coal. As a 5' 2" widow, they're like handling a screaming toddler throwing themselves backwards. Just had me a shovel.

Hope this helps somebody :D
I just talked to the guy at M+S Coal. His dump truck holds 11 tons and he has dividers in the body so he can split loads easily meaning if you have a few neighbors that want to split a load it is doable. His coal is washed and from the marathon vein. White ash. He has been to central Connecticut and is willing to go further on a case by case basis. He is from Coal Township, PA. Although I haven't done business with him he sounds like a decent guy on the phone. I think that is where my next load will come from.
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence. Half a truth is often a great lie. He that lives upon hope will die fasting. Rather go to bed with out dinner than to rise in debt. The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
cokehead
Member
Posts: 1951
Joined: Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502
Location: Mystic, CT
Contact:

Post Sat. Dec. 04, 2010 12:41 pm

beemerboy wrote:I get my bulk from Phelps and Sons in Vernon, Ct.
I contacted them a few years back and they where unwilling to come to Mystic to deliver.
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence. Half a truth is often a great lie. He that lives upon hope will die fasting. Rather go to bed with out dinner than to rise in debt. The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
cokehead
Member
Posts: 1951
Joined: Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 8:28 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502
Location: Mystic, CT
Contact:

Post Sun. Dec. 05, 2010 7:57 pm

cokehead wrote:
wwct wrote:M & S Coal Sales - 570-644-1469
Gypsy from PA, been buying from him for 15 yrs. Bulk only. Hit on some bad time, but seems to be back in business :) He's hit or miss on his schedule, and you don't know the breaker, but it's always good stuff.

Charlie Gutowski Coal Sales - 860-283-5640
Charlie is from Northfield, CT. Sells bagged or bulk from Blashek. Course he's 80, and I bought 2 yrs ago from him (when the bad times hit above). Found him finally on Craig's list. Nice guy, very responsible, always returns phone-email.

BTW, I hate bagged coal. As a 5' 2" widow, they're like handling a screaming toddler throwing themselves backwards. Just had me a shovel.

Hope this helps somebody :D
I just talked to the guy at M+S Coal. His dump truck holds 11 tons and he has dividers in the body so he can split loads easily meaning if you have a few neighbors that want to split a load it is doable. His coal is washed and from the marathon vein. White ash. He has been to central Connecticut and is willing to go further on a case by case basis. He is from Coal Township, PA. Although I haven't done business with him he sounds like a decent guy on the phone. I think that is where my next load will come from.
I made a mistake in my post and it was too late to edit it. The coal M+S sells is from the Mammoth Vein, not marathon. :oops:
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence. Half a truth is often a great lie. He that lives upon hope will die fasting. Rather go to bed with out dinner than to rise in debt. The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
BWood
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun. Dec. 05, 2010 1:54 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman Mark II / Chappee
Stove/Furnace Model: Godin Petit 3730

Post Tue. Dec. 07, 2010 8:21 pm

I have been buying from Charlie for over 5 years, he can deliver bulk and get you Bagged. Priceless, sometimes I buy it bulk and other times I pick it up in buckets or bagged. he has a scale in his yard and always a nice guy to talk to!
Support local!
BDW
Woody
Chappee Boiler
Harman MarkII
Godin Petit

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

User avatar
getme2tons
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun. Dec. 19, 2010 10:36 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 523R Coal Stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut
Location: Northern CT
Contact:

Post Mon. Dec. 20, 2010 9:35 am

Hi,
I'm a long time coal burner in Enfield. I've used Phelps and Sons for the past five years. One of their drivers lives a few streets down from me. You can also get bagged coal from Mitchell Fuel on Sullivan Ave. in South Windsor. He has plenty. I buy from him in the spring if I need extra to get me through an extra week or two.

Mike

User avatar
coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Posts: 9822
Joined: Fri. Oct. 27, 2006 2:05 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Location: Guilford, Connecticut

Post Wed. Dec. 29, 2010 3:25 pm

Agway on State Street in North Haven has Kimmel's coal, nut and pea. They have a lot of nut bags that were giving up, not sure why but the bags were tearing open. They dropped them into clear plastic bags and selling them at 1/2 price @ $5 a bag, not a bad deal. Looks like he may have a ton or so. :)
Nothing is impossible for people who don't have to do it themselves.

blrman1962
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon. Sep. 07, 2009 4:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: franco belge
Stove/Furnace Model: 144 08 02

Post Sat. Jan. 22, 2011 7:48 am

Household fuel in New Britian Ct has been dealing in leigh vally coal since 1929 and sell both bulk and bagged at a very resonable cost. and he will deliver I beleive 1 ton or more to your door. he is open 6 days a week. his phone # is 860-224 2424
Household Coal & Oil CO, Household Coal & Oil Company Of New Britain, Incorporated, Household Coal & Oil
24 Dwight Court
New Britain, CT 06051-2317
860-224-2424 :)

jeff216410
Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed. Oct. 20, 2010 11:51 am
Stove/Furnace Make: Liesure Line Hearth

Post Mon. Mar. 14, 2011 12:58 pm

I heard Household coal and Oil was selling Jeddo Coal. Is that correct? Has anyone burned it? My cousin burns nut and loves Jeddo coal but I burn rice. I would love to get some rice to try. I use Blaschak and have had good luck with it, but I think I could get better coal. I have never tried another brand so I have nothing to compare to. I think I get too much ash. Also, the Blaschak rice coal seems to be a lot larger then rice.

User avatar
coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Posts: 9822
Joined: Fri. Oct. 27, 2006 2:05 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Location: Guilford, Connecticut

Post Mon. Mar. 14, 2011 1:21 pm

jeff216410 wrote:I heard Household coal and Oil was selling Jeddo Coal.
I burned Al's coal for 3+ years and have no complaints. He usually has 2-300 tons laying around so at least he has it. :)
Nothing is impossible for people who don't have to do it themselves.

User avatar
EasyRay
Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu. Nov. 16, 2006 8:44 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove
Location: Central Connecticut

Post Mon. Mar. 14, 2011 7:35 pm

jeff216410 wrote:I heard Household coal and Oil was selling Jeddo Coal. Is that correct? Has anyone burned it? My cousin burns nut and loves Jeddo coal but I burn rice. I would love to get some rice to try. I use Blaschak and have had good luck with it, but I think I could get better coal. I have never tried another brand so I have nothing to compare to. I think I get too much ash. Also, the Blaschak rice coal seems to be a lot larger then rice.
I burned their nut and pea coal for years and never had a problem. I get my coal from B T Enterprises now because their less than ten minutes from my house.
Regards, Ray

User avatar
getme2tons
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun. Dec. 19, 2010 10:36 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 523R Coal Stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut
Location: Northern CT
Contact:

Post Tue. Mar. 22, 2011 9:43 am

I used all of the 2 tons I bought from Phelps and Sons around the 15th of March and bought ten bags more from Mitchell Fuel in South Windsor. The price is still $7.00 a bag. I bought ten bags and it appears that I will have to go back and get another week's worth in a few days.

The Blaschak coal is pretty good stuff but I still save $200 by buying the stuff in bulk.

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Post Reply

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”