Coal Dealers in Ohio

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Jan. 13, 2011 8:42 pm

Alright,I'm thinkin' we've got to consult with Dr. Berlin regarding facts about the Eastern Kentucky Coal Monster. I'm going to do some past post research on the subject using the Google search bar here on the Board. Motowiz,I'm seeing that you've got one of them thar' Outdoor Burners. From everything we've heard about the East Kentucky,I'm thinking that we can get down to the bottom of this. We'll also have to consult with Drs. hman and BkSaun,as they seem to be using this type of coal also. I will start an Eastern Kentucky Bit Coal thread in our Ohio section so that we can capture and consolidate info,Ohio dealers and Kentucky mines from the other posts around. This is interesting stuff,especially when combined with the DS Machine Circulator stoves. !

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Jan. 13, 2011 8:59 pm

There is also a "Blue Diamond Coal Company" in Leatherwood, Kentucky. It is in the eastern part of the state. Perhaps this is the source of eastern Kentucky blue coal?

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Jan. 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Ok,I've created the new topic:"Doing the Eastern Kentucky Bit Shuffle In Ohio" so we can get all this good stuff on topic and in one place in the Ohio Section of the Forum...Check it out and post away ! :lol:

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jan. 15, 2011 11:46 am

jumperjoe wrote:Bosler Brothers Middlefield OH

Mostly bulk, Harmony nut @ $225.00 per ton
They also have pea and rice
Does Bosler Brothers have rice in bulk, or only in bags? How about buckwheat?
Last edited by lsayre on Sat. Jan. 15, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jan. 15, 2011 11:49 am

Does anyone in Ohio stock bulk (not bagged) anthracite in the rice or buckwheat size? I'm looking for someone who delivers, but I would consider pick-up if that was the only option.

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Sat. Jan. 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Both Bosler and Horner Trucking (440-537-3384, 4977 Parks West Rd, Middlefield, OH) have bulk coal.
They both also deliver or will do pick-up.
-Len

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jan. 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Bosler Brothers is 63 miles from me and will not deliver here. They said I live too far away. That aside, do they have bulk rice or buckwheat that I could pick up?

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jan. 15, 2011 2:30 pm

Given that the ugly reality is that there are only a small handful of generally quite high priced anthracite coal dealers in Ohio, many to most of whom will not deliver unless you live almost in their back yard, and many who will not deliver at all, is there any reasonably priced means whereby to have anthracite coal delivered direct (bulk, or bagged) from the source region (Eastern PA anthracite country) into Ohio, while remaining well on the short side of a full T/L?
Last edited by lsayre on Sat. Jan. 15, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 15, 2011 3:15 pm

Bosler has bulk Rice that you can pick-up. It would be wise to call ahead to be sure he's not out on a delivery when you get there. I do not believe he has buckwheat at all.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jan. 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Great, that keeps the Keystoker KAA-2 boiler high on my short list of heating options for next winter! Thanks Bob!!! (still wish he would deliver to me though)

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Think about it for a moment. The pressures of Class 'A' CDL Rules,Liabilities and Law Changes and Constrictions. You own a rig that you're getting your eyes banged out on licensing fees,insurance,low sulfur fuel grinding up your fuel system onboard,rising maintenance costs,and possible slower going on the roads to a long-haul. These are just a few of the things that kills coal in our area. Would you own all that grief and go out on long-hauls ? We aint seen nothing yet if diesel keeps coming up in price. The kicker is that we're still closer to the NEPA Mines than others on this board. About the best thing to do is once you're serious about what type of coal you'll need,get a few people in your area to go in on a tri axle full and split it up. the details are yours to work out once the coal's dumped,but if you're trying to shave nickels,that's about the only way I know how to truly buy in bulk and save.

shortcut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Brunco

Post by shortcut » Mon. Jan. 24, 2011 1:46 am

I personally don't care for church's coal. their kentucky does not burn as clean as thompson bros or central fuels ohio coal.
if you have time and transport I recommend those places if you don't want to travel h.bierce co. hardware in tallmadge has kentucky that burns very clean. its lump size and pickup or delivery. I usually go to thompson bros in new springfield, or central fuel in new Philadelphia and pick it up myself.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Mon. Jan. 24, 2011 2:49 am

All eastern KY coal is not created equal. Although much of the coal in eastern KY is the finest bituminous coal in the world, not all is. If information from others who've tried it before you is absent, or an analysis is not available, you'll have to trust that the dealers are selling you a good eastern KY product. Most probably will, because unlike other items, they know that heating fuel is something you'll keep come back to them for if you like it, it just makes good business sense. Some may not know that they don't have very good coal, some may not care what they sell, and others will misrepresent what they sell. I've personally dealt with the folks at Central Fuels in new philadelphia (they carry various ohio lump coals from the different seams they mine) and can give them and their ohio #6 lump coal a good reccomendation; I know Dan Thompson at Thompson bros. mining and can tell you that he makes sure that he buys some of the best eastern KY coals (his on-site mined ohio coal is also pretty good stuff in the larger sizes). Recommendations in regards to coal is important, but it's also important to check the reputation of dealers and their products specifically - all KY coal is not equal and all may not be KY coal.

Paisan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. 1600 Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut&pea

Post by Paisan » Mon. Jan. 24, 2011 7:14 am

shortcut wrote:I personally don't care for church's coal. their kentucky does not burn as clean as thompson bros or central fuels ohio coal.
if you have time and transport I recommend those places if you don't want to travel h.bierce co. hardware in tallmadge has kentucky that burns very clean. its lump size and pickup or delivery. I usually go to thompson bros in new springfield, or central fuel in new Philadelphia and pick it up myself.
I have never tried Church's Kentucky coal but have used his anthracite. :( I had a Warm Morning stove that I traded for 2 tons of anthracite. It did not burn all that well and when I ask him about what brand it was he told me it was PA anthracite. Church's is only about 15 min from me but I'll never buy anthracite from him. I have a guy in North Jackson or I go to Middlfield. Both are a hour away. That was a few winters ago, maybe he has better stuff now?

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jan. 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Paisan, I live right between Wadsworth and Medina, Ohio. Do you think your North Jackson and/or Middlefield sources for anthracite would deliver to my area? I have a boiler on order, and I will be in need bulk pea. Do you mind giving out the names, addresses, and phone numbers for your current sources so I can contact them? I take it you have been pleased with their anthracite. Did they both tell you which mine it came from?

Might I ask what was not good with regard to Church's anthracite? Was it size, ash content, contaminants, burnability, etc...? Church's Coal is only about 25 minutes from me, and he delivers.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”