Who's Got the Best Coal This Year?

UDT-SEAL

Post by UDT-SEAL » Thu. Nov. 04, 2010 11:56 am

I was told diamond had good coal from this forum I orderd early. His truck broke so I have too wait.....The other guy in the thread is about 4 hrs rd trip he says he has deep mined coal...Wants to bring me 3 ton for 245.00 per....it will be just too much for me..Anyone else in the Washingtion NJ area Need coal?

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 12:38 am

check out this thread, eastern KY coal sources are listed in pdf 3/4 down the page.

Where Do You Get Your Bituminous Coal and a Going Price?

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 7:48 pm

Lee1 wrote:I am a little confused, how are you guys judging one coal from another?
You use thermometers all over the furnace and one outside too.
Smoke pipe type probe thermometer
One on the front of the furnace
one in the duct work
And the most important one an the wall :D .

And you must keep track on paper all the stats and how much coal you burn,and the ash it makes.

Then after a month or so you sit in a place where it's quiet(toilet) and compare.
DON

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Here in MA, my second season with Blaschak bagged from Squire Lumber in Monson is just as good as the first. 24+ hour burns and hardly any ash. This is the worst time to buy though, as they usually are $10 -$20 cheaper per ton in the off season.

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 9:50 pm

I am not sure who is the best, but I got 2 tons of superior delivered and it appears to be of good quality. My dealer has superior and blaschak and both are good. The superior is a little cheaper so I buy it. My load cost $430 for two tons delivered.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 10:36 pm

UDT-SEAL wrote:I was told diamond had good coal from this forum I orderd early. His truck broke so I have too wait.....The other guy in the thread is about 4 hrs rd trip he says he has deep mined coal...Wants to bring me 3 ton for 245.00 per....it will be just too much for me..Anyone else in the Washingtion NJ area Need coal?
Being that there is only one Underground Anthracite deep mine operating today in PA and that one would be UAE Harmony mine All other's are Surface mining / Deep open pit mining . So your coal guy is getting Surface mined coal / Open Pit deep mined coal .

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Nov. 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Berlin wrote:How 'bout some nice Eastern Kentucky Bituminous Lump or Stoker coal @ 14,000+btu/lb and less than 5% ash :) I'll be burning a couple tons of each this winter.
What is the price per ton for that fine Bit coal & what is the sulfur % content at

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 8:56 am

sulfur @ .4%. per ton 110@ the mine.

Captain Michael

Post by Captain Michael » Sun. Nov. 07, 2010 9:45 am

4 straight years of Superior and love it. It does not seem to have changed one bit in quality. Great heat, a little high in ash but over over all good coal. 160 per ton picked up at the breaker.

smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Mon. Nov. 08, 2010 1:14 am

UAE is really impressing me after my first day of burning a few loads..

rrob311
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Allegheny
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2 Coal Wood
Other Heating: Monitor 441 Kerosene heater

Post by rrob311 » Mon. Nov. 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Is the Calvin Lenig any good this year? I was disappointed with the heat output last time I got it. The only coal I can get 450 degrees out of my stove on low setting is with Superior. Lenig and Hudson I haveto turn the stove up to get the same output.

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Mon. Nov. 08, 2010 9:07 pm

The coal I burn is probably from 1960. No way to tell where it came from except there was some blue coal in the one find I got. I wonder how the quality of such old basement coal compares to currently available anthracite. One big drawback, I seem to get the distinct aroma of burning mouse hair on occaision on startups. The cache I got from one private home probably sat in the basement for 50 years unused, with the owners tossing in mouse poison from time to time. I'd like to come up with a design for a sifter/washer too!

smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Mon. Nov. 08, 2010 10:03 pm

Dann757 wrote:The coal I burn is probably from 1960. No way to tell where it came from except there was some blue coal in the one find I got. I wonder how the quality of such old basement coal compares to currently available anthracite. One big drawback, I seem to get the distinct aroma of burning mouse hair on occaision on startups. The cache I got from one private home probably sat in the basement for 50 years unused, with the owners tossing in mouse poison from time to time. I'd like to come up with a design for a sifter/washer too!
they just don't make coal like they used to :D :D

genericx

Post by genericx » Wed. Nov. 10, 2010 3:04 pm

I am new to burning coal and I am finding that it is cheaper to have it trucked from PA to my house in WNY than buying it in bulk from local dealer. I have been reading the forums and it seems that there is a big difference in coal depending on where you get it. Currently I am looking at coal from the Hazelton Shaft Company and Superior. Due to additional trucking cost, it will be about $20/ton more to get Superior coal than it will be to get coal from Hazelton. Is there that much difference in the coal?

RookieBurner

Post by RookieBurner » Wed. Dec. 29, 2010 7:37 pm

So I purchased 2 ton from hillside breaker in September for $155 a ton. Just purchased a ton from Sherman coal yesterday and must say that the Sherman Coal burns hotter. But for $162 a ton I know I will be going back to Sherman in Feb. to top off another ton to finish out the year.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”