Page 1 of 1

South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Mon. Oct. 11, 2010 9:42 pm
By: winstonsmith
After years of purchasing coal from my local dealer"Blaschak " I am getting it from a different dealer that tells me he gets it from the South tamaqua coal pockets. Got any imput on the quality of coal that comes out of there? What type of ash? How does it work in a hand fired stove? Is this a mistake?

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Mon. Oct. 11, 2010 10:07 pm
By: 2001Sierra
Hand feds love white ash coal. Burn it and you will find out. Red ash tends to clinker when run hot. With white ash fly ash may need to be cleaned from your passage ways, as it fly's around easily, especially if you have a good drat while shaking the ashes.

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Tue. Oct. 12, 2010 6:24 am
By: New Hope Engineer
i have never had problems with south tamaqua,i used it 2 years ago though.i have some coal from premium fine located right behind south tamaqua coal pockets($150 a ton) and havent got a bad batch yet.i will also be using nut from harmony too this year,just waiting to take the ride up.

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Tue. Oct. 12, 2010 6:59 am
By: CoalHeat
UAE Harmony's coal will spoil you.

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Tue. Oct. 12, 2010 7:16 am
By: jrn8265
I used Blaschak the past two years, paid $240 a ton, found another source for this year, he gets it from south tamaqua, premium coal also...looks very clean, no sticks, shiny, was washed.

I was nervous switching from blaschak so I fired up over the weekend to test this batch.

Surprisingly, the coal was harder to start than blaschak and burned brighter, less ash and more heat and I paid $215 a ton, so I am very happy!

Will order from him again!

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Tue. Oct. 12, 2010 9:18 am
By: coal berner
jrn8265 wrote:I used Blaschak the past two years, paid $240 a ton, found another source for this year, he gets it from south tamaqua, premium coal also...looks very clean, no sticks, shiny, was washed.

I was nervous switching from blaschak so I fired up over the weekend to test this batch.

Surprisingly, the coal was harder to start than blaschak and burned brighter, less ash and more heat and I paid $215 a ton, so I am very happy!

Will order from him again!
South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Inc. & American Premium Coal Co. are two different Companies Both are next to each other
They both buy raw coal from The Surface Mine Coal Companies in the surrounding area as well as from their own smaller surface mines they have .

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Tue. Oct. 12, 2010 1:55 pm
By: Brian
Just recieved 4 ton from American Preimum, driver told me I was lucky the coal came from Lehigh and I must say this is the best coal I had in a long time burns very hot with a white ash. Bring on old man winter!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Tue. Oct. 12, 2010 7:15 pm
By: New Hope Engineer
Brian wrote:Just recieved 4 ton from American Preimum, driver told me I was lucky the coal came from Lehigh and I must say this is the best coal I had in a long time burns very hot with a white ash. Bring on old man winter!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
when I was at american premium I was told the coal is coming from thier own stripping operation and another local strip mine.they are not getting any coal from lehigh since the mine is closed. the coal they are running right now seems to be pretty good stuff. :)

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Tue. Oct. 12, 2010 9:39 pm
By: Hot Rocks
I drive right by there & a few other breakers on my way to UAE Harmony Mine

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Tue. Oct. 19, 2010 6:27 pm
By: fishhunter
My dealer gets their coal from centralia coal sales and they say it comes from south tamaqua coal pockets. the last few years it has seemed like the same coal whte ash with some wood it it looks like mulch lots of fly ash. this year the coal is super clean and when you dump it in the hopper it sounds like you are dumping a bag of coins in, it is very red ash coal, zero flyash.This coal seems to be of much higher quality. the question is where the heck did this coal come from, I have always thought south tamaqua was white ash.

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Tue. Oct. 19, 2010 6:52 pm
By: coal berner
fishhunter wrote:My dealer gets their coal from centralia coal sales and they say it comes from south tamaqua coal pockets. the last few years it has seemed like the same coal whte ash with some wood it it looks like mulch lots of fly ash. this year the coal is super clean and when you dump it in the hopper it sounds like you are dumping a bag of coins in, it is very red ash coal, zero flyash.This coal seems to be of much higher quality. the question is where the heck did this coal come from, I have always thought south tamaqua was white ash.
They have small surface mines and also use to buy a lot of raw coal from LC&N They are many small and large Surface mines in the area They buy from whom has the coal . Red Ash Or White ash the coal veins are next to each other so what every vein they hit that will be the coal they pull out By The Way Centralia coal buys from 12 different coal co.
Who every is cheaper to buy from that is the coal your going to get unless you ask for a particular one after all they are a coal broker. http://www.centraliacoal.com/l1.html

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Tue. Oct. 19, 2010 7:07 pm
By: fishhunter
my dealer says they ask for South tamaqua every year because people like it but this coal is clearly different. It is red ash only and burns really hot. It is the cleanest looking coal I have ever seen.

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Thu. Dec. 05, 2013 10:53 am
By: tcalo
Hate to revive such an old thread. I bought my coal from a different supplier this year and they told me it came from the South Tamaqua mines. Is there a particular name brand to this coal or is it recognized by its location? For example, Blaschak, Kimmels, Reading? I've been getting an extremely high white ash content from this coal. No clinkers though no matter how hot I run the stove. Good heat output. The reason I ask is I like to compare coal from each season.

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 10:34 am
By: ChrisS
I'm glad you revived the thread, as I am looking to get a small amount of coal (1 ton or less) in February to last the heating season, and was looking at Tamaqua( Lehigh) as I am less than an hour from them. I began looking at how they and others compare to the Blaschak that I have now. Current delivery company is great, but I have to get a minimum of 2 tons, plus pay a fee to come to Northampton County, and at $235/ton (not a bad price, all in all), I am out a minimum of $500, when I do not want to spend that much right now. I can make two trips to Tamaqua, at $170/ton, if I get one ton, I pay $170 plus I estimate gas to cost me $20 total.

Re: South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Coal?

Posted: Wed. Jan. 07, 2015 10:46 am
By: freetown fred
Nice, sounds like ya got it figured out. As far as comparison coal wise--it's pretty much always a crap shoot.