"Junk" or "Bad" Coal

jrn8265

Post by jrn8265 » Mon. Oct. 04, 2010 1:20 pm

Been seeing some mentioning the above. What is it? Is there actually Anthracite that will not burn? I had a real nice delivery of shiny "clean" rice from a new source and even though it looks real pretty I am concerned that it may not burn...can this happen? ..won't find out for a few more weeks when I lite her up....appreciate your feedback!

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Oct. 04, 2010 7:08 pm

I have had coal that I'd call "less than ideal", but never "junk". The stuff kept me warm, but produced so much ash that I had to tend to it every 12 hours, vs. every 24 hours for the better quality coal. At the time it was the only coal I'd ever burned, so I didn't know what I was missing. My supplier raised their price quite a bit, so I found another supplier ... and the better coal to boot. Was a win-win.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Oct. 04, 2010 7:23 pm

Usually the problem will be a lot of rock in it, might be from a culm bank that was processed.
jrn8265 wrote:I had a real nice delivery of shiny "clean" rice from a new source and even though it looks real pretty I am concerned that it may not burn...can this happen?
Have you tried it yet? Having said that the problem here might be it's too good. There's coal that gets so hard and dense it may be troublesome to keep it burning. Needs more air and longer burn time. This is usually a problematic with the stokers, you need to adjust with more air and less of feed rate if possible.

jrn8265

Post by jrn8265 » Tue. Oct. 05, 2010 6:21 am

Thanks all!

I don't think the coal is too hard as I can break pieces between my fingers. I'll know if a week or so!

RAYJAY
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Post by RAYJAY » Wed. Oct. 06, 2010 11:29 pm

i had coal a couple of years ago that burned like *censored*. lots of ash and slag , then I got smart and started to haul my own its cheaper also

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”