Reading Coal

newtocoalinnortheast

Post by newtocoalinnortheast » Wed. Sep. 29, 2010 11:55 am

We are new to burning coal and have not yet had our stove installed (Chubby Coal stove we bought from Larry Trainer in 2008) due to problems with hearth pads and our Worcester inspector. We hope to have this resolved soon. I have been checking prices of coal around the Worcester area. I am just wondering if anyone has used the bagged Reading Coal from Robbins Garden Center recently, and what they thought of it. It is cheaper than the Blaschak that is sold at National Coal in Shrewsbury, but I am not sure about the quality of either one. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks,
Carol

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Wed. Sep. 29, 2010 12:08 pm

I buy Reading Anthracite nut coal in bulk here in Pittsburgh, PA and have had nothing but great results and performance from Reading Coal. I've also have tried Blaschak anthracite and it also is good, but I don't feel that it is worth the extra expense for the same performance results that I received with the Reading Anthracite. Which ever brand you can find less expensive, I'd go with. They are both good products.

rewinder

Post by rewinder » Thu. Sep. 30, 2010 5:47 pm

I've had no problems with Reading coal, I burn pea size. I did try some nut, and found it to be bigger than other nut coal I've used, it didn't flow as well in my hopper as the pea did. I like to use nut in Jan and Feb, when I need the higher heat

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Thu. Sep. 30, 2010 6:16 pm

I know of 4 places up here that are Reading retailers and they have been for years. No complaints, and folks reorder year after year, so that says something positive about the company and dealer network. :idea: :D

colt

Post by colt » Fri. Oct. 01, 2010 9:50 am

Can anyone tell me where I can buy Reading bulk stove near Pittsburg Pa.Give me the contact info if you have it.I'll have my Quaker # 8 project complete in 2 weeks I'll post Pic's.
Colt

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Fri. Oct. 01, 2010 10:22 am

DOUG wrote:I buy Reading Anthracite nut coal in bulk here in Pittsburgh, PA and have had nothing but great results and performance from Reading Coal. I've also have tried Blaschak anthracite and it also is good, but I don't feel that it is worth the extra expense for the same performance results that I received with the Reading Anthracite. Which ever brand you can find less expensive, I'd go with. They are both good products.
I agree. Sometimes my dealer has Reading and sometimes he has Blaschak. I get whatever he has and I don't notice a difference in the way the coal burns or the amount of ash it produces. I, too, would go whichever one is less expensive. Lisa

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Oct. 01, 2010 10:57 am

colt wrote:Can anyone tell me where I can buy Reading bulk stove near Pittsburg Pa.Give me the contact info if you have it.I'll have my Quaker # 8 project complete in 2 weeks I'll post Pic's.
Colt
Click on the dots below on the dealer map you will find one in your area .

http://readinganthracite.com/dealer-directory/

peterk1

Post by peterk1 » Fri. Oct. 01, 2010 12:04 pm

I live in the heart of coal country, Schuylkill Co. I've used both Reading and Blashchak and I get better burn and less ash with Blashchak. Friends who burn coal, also say the same thing. That means there is mix of slate or rock in the coal . That means more ash and less of a burn. Some put the mix or filler in to cut the cost. So I pay a little more for the better coal.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Oct. 01, 2010 12:29 pm

peterk1 wrote:I live in the heart of coal country, Schuylkill Co. I've used both Reading and Blashchak and I get better burn and less ash with Blashchak. Friends who burn coal, also say the same thing. That means there is mix of slate or rock in the coal . That means more ash and less of a burn. Some put the mix or filler in to cut the cost. So I pay a little more for the better coal.
Agree you get what you pay for Reading is reclaiming alot of old bank and silk dam coal Just take a ride over to Dunncot/Saint Nicks you will see what there doing and you can follow the trucks up to the bagging plant off of RT 54 as well as the coal Gen plants . Were Blaschak is all fresh surface mined coal & is processed & sized much better .

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Fri. Nov. 26, 2010 4:04 pm

lowfog01 wrote:
DOUG wrote:I buy Reading Anthracite nut coal in bulk here in Pittsburgh, PA and have had nothing but great results and performance from Reading Coal. I've also have tried Blaschak anthracite and it also is good, but I don't feel that it is worth the extra expense for the same performance results that I received with the Reading Anthracite. Which ever brand you can find less expensive, I'd go with. They are both good products.
I agree. Sometimes my dealer has Reading and sometimes he has Blaschak. I get whatever he has and I don't notice a difference in the way the coal burns or the amount of ash it produces. I, too, would go whichever one is less expensive. Lisa
I made this posting back in OCT. I now find that I have to take it all back. I recently have found several bags of Reading pea coal from years past mixed in with my Blaschak from this year. I have discovered that for my stove, Blaschak burns much better, especially on days of high outside temps and low draft. Clearly, the Reading coal does not burn as well as the Blaschak does in idling situations. Volatile gases build up and without additional over the fire air at recharging the threat of a serious puff back is very real. I had a puff back again last night that forced flyash out between the load door gaskets and blew the ash door wide open. I had ash door open a crack to recharge the stove and was providing over the fire air periodically. That's two big puff backs with Reading, zero with Blaschak. Recharging a Reading coal fire requires constant attention to prevent the puffbacks, not so much with Blaschak.

Fortunately, I only have 6 bags of the Reading coal left. I will tell my son to wait until the outside temps and draft stabilizes before bringing in the Reading. It should burn better with a hotter fire and the blue ladies dancing. It would be about 30 miles further to drive to the next closest Blaschak dealer but based on my stove's performance, I think it would be worth the additional time and money if the dealer I go to now goes back to Reading coal.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”