How Is Reading Coal

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sat. Sep. 11, 2010 7:20 pm

i got a price on reading coal of 40 $ / ton less than next closest price . how do the BTU's compare to other coal ? I have read about trash in their coal ? irregular size doesn't really bother me . mostly concerned about heat out put . last year was first year burning coal . burned kimmels all year had no problems but don't have any thing to compare to .

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Sat. Sep. 11, 2010 9:32 pm

You will get mixed reviews of Reading. Supposedly the dealer I use right now is a Reading supplier and I have had no real issues with it. My last delivery was the only time I have had an issue and that was more fines than normal. As I said in another post, this is the first issue I have had, so I'm not going to switch because of one issue. I don't have any way of proving BTU's but seems comparable to others I have used as is ash content.

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Sat. Sep. 11, 2010 10:37 pm

fines and sizing issues can somewhat be a coal pile problem with segregation.

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Sat. Sep. 11, 2010 10:44 pm

I've been using Reading Anthracite for four years now and I like it. I have no issues so far with Reading Anthracite Coal. I've also used Blaschak coal and from my experience, it isn't worth the extra price. Get some Reading Anthracite and try it out for yourself. I have never been disappointed with it's quality or it's performance. :)

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Sep. 11, 2010 11:12 pm

You might find some variation in quality but I've never had junk coal from my Reading dealer. I've been going there for the past 7 years. It does change as they work different sources. It's an big old company and I've read thay work some old piles sometimes. The Reading my dealer has had the past two years had been especially good; high heat content, long burns and lower ash with virtually no clinkers or bridging. Try it out for yourself.

cooper

Post by cooper » Sat. Sep. 18, 2010 8:57 pm

I used reading coal 2009-2010 season with not complaints.

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sat. Sep. 18, 2010 9:04 pm

thanks for info . keep it coming .

Master plumber
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Great furnace

Post by Master plumber » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 6:10 am

Reading coal is junk. I go through about 6ton of coal a year heating my house. I've been using the coal from tractor supply the last two years. They ran out of supply so I tried another supplier who uses reading coal. My experience with reading coal is very very low BTU's extremely disappointed. Won't ever purchase reading coal again. The BTU's differences is huge won't even keep my house above 67 degrees. When thermostat is set on 73. Where the coal I been using what you set your thermostat to is what your house will be. My coal furnace is working very hard with this coal. To even heat my house. Temperature outside is not even cold it's around 23 degrees. When this coal started feeding through my furnace the house temperature went from 73 to 67 in the matter of two hours and won't bring it back up to thermostat setting of 73 other coal no problem I could set it on 80 and that's what it would be

Clousseau
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice Coal

Post by Clousseau » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 8:08 am

Burned Reading Coal last year, 5 tons, extremely wet coal. Had issues with that all winter long. Clogged up the stoker boiler twice which caused shutdowns.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 8:56 am

I burned Reading rice in my EFM & liked it better than the Blashak with lots of fines & dust,I also like Reading better than the Superior that I burned with lots of fines. I have now burned between 20-30 tons of Gale (large sized rice) & like it lots better than any of the others I used. I also burned Reading nut in my hand fed stove & liked it better than Blashak which had LOTS of fines & dust. This season I am burning Gale nut & like it far better than the Reading nut. I still have some Reading left over & have done comparison burns of it & Gale, I like the results from the Gale ,much better sizing,cleaner,burns hotter with less air & has a much prettier blue flame that just won't stop.

I guess that leaves me with mixed feelings on Reading coal,but I have gotten worse coal too.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 9:09 am

Never got any really bad coal from them but never got any great coal either. My worst experience probably had nothing to do with Reading and everything to do with the hauler. Found engine parts, brake parts, voltage regulator and wires in one batch. I just try to avoid it if I can, no warm and fuzzy feeling with it.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 9:11 am

I burned a few tons of Reading several years ago, and was happy with it. It was clean and well sized. The price was also better than from other suppliers. Unfortunately the Reading dealer went out of business so I couldn't get more. Overall, though, I have been happiest with Blaschak due to consistent quality.

Can you get a few hundred pounds of the Reading and try it?

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 9:12 am

coaledsweat wrote:Never got any really bad coal from them but never got any great coal either. My worst experience probably had nothing to do with Reading and everything to do with the hauler. Found engine parts, brake parts, voltage regulator and wires in one batch. I just try to avoid it if I can, no warm and fuzzy feeling with it.
But it saved you a trip to the auto parts store. That's got to be worth something.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 10:16 am

rberq wrote:But it saved you a trip to the auto parts store. That's got to be worth something.
Not really, I had to buy 8 different cars to get the parts to fit! :)

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 10:50 am

coaledsweat wrote:
rberq wrote:But it saved you a trip to the auto parts store. That's got to be worth something.
Not really, I had to buy 8 different cars to get the parts to fit! :)
Now THAT is funny,got my laugh for the day. toothy :rofl:

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”