Where Is Your Favorable Source of Coal. Bagged or Bulk

KPcoalman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker160
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 3
Coal Size/Type: rice/blaschak

Post by KPcoalman » Sat. Nov. 05, 2011 8:49 pm

There is always J&D Coal Heating in Ft. Plain, NY. We carry Blaschak coal (and keep it inside) in rice, pea, chestnut and stove in 40# bags. We also have rice and chestnut in bulk

newbie in ny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 160
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite

Post by newbie in ny » Tue. Nov. 08, 2011 6:41 am

B&B wood pellet in Perryville. $300 pallet 60-40 lb bags Blashak. $15 delivery fee .They take it off the truck with a forklift and put it close to the house for easy loading into my basement. Sure saved the back, no self bagging, no loading. Very nice people as well

hovak222

Post by hovak222 » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 10:01 am

I'm new and in the Clinton - Utica area and I see Buell Fuels has got Blaschak & Reading in bag and bulk. They deliver too so I will give them a try will let you know how it goes.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 1:44 pm

hovak222 wrote:I'm new and in the Clinton - Utica area and I see Buell Fuels has got Blaschak & Reading in bag and bulk. They deliver too so I will give them a try will let you know how it goes.
Welcome to the forum. Either Blaschak or Reading will be fine, but do yourself a favor and find something that will hold a few bags worth of loose coal and allow it to drain. The plastic bags have a habit of retaining water, and soaking wet coal will corrode the hopper and retard combustion. My dad has a large plastic tub that is pitched with a drain on one end, it holds a few hundred pounds and serves as a "staging area" for the coal.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 8:32 pm

How about Staleens in Madison NY?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Who are the root sources that actually offer bagged anthracite coal. I'm aware of only the following short list:

Blaschak
Reading
Kimmel's
Penn Keystone (perhaps private labeled Kimmel's?)

2001Sierra

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 9:16 pm

Staleens privately bags their own, rumour has it is Jeddo.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Sep. 08, 2012 6:44 am

lsayre wrote:Who are the root sources that actually offer bagged anthracite coal. I'm aware of only the following short list:

Blaschak
Reading
Kimmel's
Centralia bags a fair amount of coal, and there are some guys that aren't as well known.

I just got a load of bagged buck from Kimmels. I haven't burned any yet, but they did a great job bagging & shrink wrapping.

adirondacklady

Post by adirondacklady » Thu. Oct. 04, 2012 7:26 am

My first two years I had oiled coal. Kept the dust down a lot. My stove is in my living room. Well the company closed and I had to go with a private dealer. Got 5 ton bagged anthracite last year. I hated this past winter because the dust was unreal! My living room was covered in black dust by spring. I had to hook up a vacuum hose to hopper when I poured it in. I also had to wear a filtered face mask and goggles and made sure my kids weren't around when I poured it in. I am looking to find oiled coal around. Most people are selling "wet coal" but I am afraid it will rust out my hopper. I do pour the bags into a calf trough that has drain holes so I was also thinking of soaking down the coal and letting it drain a day before bringing up to the stove but still worried about rusting out the hopper. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a company in upstate ny that has bagged oiled coal and if so how much? Thanks,

adirondacklady

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Oct. 04, 2012 7:40 am

Some bulk dealers will offer to spray oil on the coal as it is unloaded, but if you are stuck with bagged coal you will have to do it yourself.

modell79
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HITZER 608 / HITZER 608
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 354
Other Heating: PROPANE

Post by modell79 » Fri. Jan. 11, 2013 3:50 pm

I purchase my coal from conesus coal and landscape in springwater ny. They have been great going on third year burning rice and nut. 240 ton best deal I found in this area.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Jan. 11, 2013 5:53 pm

Rob R. wrote:
lsayre wrote:Who are the root sources that actually offer bagged anthracite coal. I'm aware of only the following short list:

Blaschak
Reading
Kimmel's
Centralia bags a fair amount of coal, and there are some guys that aren't as well known.

I just got a load of bagged buck from Kimmels. I haven't burned any yet, but they did a great job bagging & shrink wrapping.
Centralia is some nice coal. At least the Centralia stove size that I tried last season towards the end of the year. Well bagged in "burlapped" style bags, very uniform sized with low fines and lower ash than the blaschack I had been using. It was white ash coal.

2001Sierra

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Jan. 15, 2013 7:31 pm

adirondacklady wrote:My first two years I had oiled coal. Kept the dust down a lot. My stove is in my living room. Well the company closed and I had to go with a private dealer. Got 5 ton bagged anthracite last year. I hated this past winter because the dust was unreal! My living room was covered in black dust by spring. I had to hook up a vacuum hose to hopper when I poured it in. I also had to wear a filtered face mask and goggles and made sure my kids weren't around when I poured it in. I am looking to find oiled coal around. Most people are selling "wet coal" but I am afraid it will rust out my hopper. I do pour the bags into a calf trough that has drain holes so I was also thinking of soaking down the coal and letting it drain a day before bringing up to the stove but still worried about rusting out the hopper. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a company in upstate ny that has bagged oiled coal and if so how much? Thanks,

adirondacklady
Re: How do you oil coal in your bin as you fill the bin?
By: 2001Sierra On: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:36 pm

I think I have finally figured it out. I purchased a Wagner Power Painter Plus which has a weighted pickup allowing it to spray in many directions. I am now using Peanut oil purchased at BJ's. Attached are photos of my outdoor hopper, and me spraying it as I add bags of coal. The coal is later poured into the coal hods with a blast gate in the bottom at one end of the hopper. With todays addition of 550 lbs of coal, a gallon should last well over one ton of coal.Attachments

(280.79 KiB) Viewed 6 times
View: New Page • Popup • Select:BBCode
A layer of coal

(248.69 KiB) Viewed 6 times
The sprayer in action

(220.98 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Another of sprayer being used

(119.39 KiB) Viewed 6 times
The sprayer

(161.73 KiB) Viewed 4 times
The peanut oil

2001Sierra
State of New York Moderator

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Jan. 16, 2013 9:00 am

Some of you might remember that I was complaining about my 6 ton bulk load this year. The 4 tons of stove was fine the 2 tons of nut was small and lots of fines. I'm about half way into the pile and run into this. :shock: That's what I mean. See the "pockets" of crap and fines. :mad:

Attachments

IMG_3823 (Medium).JPG
.JPG | 333.6KB | IMG_3823 (Medium).JPG

mikey55
Stoker Coal Boiler: key stoker ka6

Post by mikey55 » Wed. Jan. 16, 2013 9:50 am

First two years bought it from Dennis coal. Thats where I bought my KA-6. Had no problems, I think it is Reading. Last two years I got it from B and B Wood. Its 40 lb bagged Blaschak. I have had no problems seems to burn the same as the Reading. Maybe I got lucky, but both times I got the Blaschak it did not seem overly wet. I am lucky to be able to stack all 6 pallets in basement right next to boiler. No wet spots. B and B are great people to deal with.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”