Northern VA Coal Supply

medukonis
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Magnafire Elite Insert
Other Heating: Heat pump, wood pellets

Post by medukonis » Mon. Mar. 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Hello:
We have a finished basement that needs heating, its the only place I can go and chat on the ham radio. Not so much fun when your teeth chatter. The masonry fireplace is itching for an insert. We put a Harman accentra pellet stove in the upstairs fireplace and love it but pellet supply is not reliable so I am going to install a coal insert this summer. I spoke to the local stove dealer and they retail bagged coal fuel also. He tells me that he and another store in Culpepper are the only sources of coal in the area. Is this true? Does anyone know of other source of coal in the Northern VA area? It can be bulk, cash and carry, whatever. I'm just looking at all options. My home is in Manassas VA. Thanks in advance!

medukonis

Post by medukonis » Thu. Jun. 10, 2010 9:20 pm

New owners of a Harman Magnafire Insert plus a skid of bagged Blaschak chestnut. I stopped in to get some early order wood pellets for our Harman Accentra that is in the fireplace upstairs. While there I talked to the nice salesman here in Manassas about the coal stove. It's something we have been planning to do so no better time than the present I suppose. There is about a 3 week lead time on the stove. The old wood burner I pulled out of the downstairs fireplace was a "black bart" with a blower motor on the back. It worked well the last two winters since we moved into this home but from what I gather on the internet it was quite old. There was a tag on the side that said it was approved to burn wood or coal. I ended up selling it to a gentlemen who had a good supply of wood and did not mind wrestling with it. I thoroughly enjoy the hot weather but almost can't wait for the winter. The price of the coal was $365 for the skid which is I wanna say 2250lbs? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I know it was more than a ton. A little expensive I know but still better than the blasted propane truck. We paid about $3000 for the heating season the first year we moved in and our home is not that large. Last year we installed the pellet stove upstairs and our heating costs were cut in half burning about 1.5 tons of pellets with the furnace as backup. Now I would just like to utilize the basement in the winter and I'm sure a lot of that heat will rise to the 1st floor and help out. I have spent and will spend a lot of time researching here. Thanks to all for your knowledge and insight. Oh and if anyone is wondering about the pellets they were $199 per ton which is a little more than half of the typical price we usually pay at our local supplier. Not a bad deal and that should carry us for the season. Take care.

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Fri. Jun. 11, 2010 1:31 am

I think you will be suprised at how much more heat you will get out of your Harman coal stove vs your pellet stove. If you can move the heat throughout the house you may be able to heat the whole place. Make sure you post some pics of your setup. Good luck.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Fri. Jun. 11, 2010 4:27 am

medukonis wrote: He tells me that he and another store in Culpepper are the only sources of coal in the area. Is this true? Does anyone know of other source of coal in the Northern VA area? It can be bulk, cash and carry, whatever. I'm just looking at all options. My home is in Manassas VA. Thanks in advance!
JC Rice - Ace Hardware
9124 Mathis Avenue
Manassas, Virginia 20110
Phone: 703-361-3141 • Fax: 703-361-4209

Hours: Monday - Friday 8am-7pm
Saturday 8am-6pm • Closed Sunday

These people sell bagged coal and usually have the rice on site but will get any size you need. They also sell Harman coal stoves but that is like an after thought so they can't really answer any questions about burning coal. They do try hard and have great customer service. They may deliver.

I'm in Springfield and have been burning coal as my only source of heat for 4 years. The place I like to get my coal from is HC Summer's farm supply in Jefferson, MD. That's just over the Point of Rocks bridge just off RT 15. They also have bulk and you may be able to work out a decent delivery price. Coming from Springfield, it's about the same distance; ok, it's a tad further but I like the drive. The price is the same. I usually get 1/2 ton at a time. If I was picking it up as I needed it I'd go to the place in Manassas. Good luck, Lisa

medukonis

Post by medukonis » Fri. Jun. 11, 2010 7:37 pm

I wasn't sure what the rules were about posting business info but JE Rice hardware store is great. That is were we purchased both of our stoves and was glad to find that they truck in some coal every year. They were also the only ones that had pellets late in the season last year. Blowes and Home Depot ran out and never stocked anymore past March.

Next year we will probably look at heading up to PA and picking up coal ourselves. We have family up there too so we are up there often. I'll post some pics upon arrival and installation. Thanks too for the info on your other coal source. Take care.

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Fri. Jun. 11, 2010 11:31 pm

You didn't say if you'd be interested in bulk or bagged coal. Bagged coal is going to cost you the same whether you get it in Northern VA or NEPA; within in pennies. I know that sounds counter to what it should but it's true none the less. That being the case there really isn't any savings to buy the bagged coal in NEPA and pay for gas to go and get it. Bulk coal is another story. If you have an open top trailer or truck and can buy directly from a breaker you can save a lot on your coal in NEPA. So much so that it's worth making the trip to NEPA. Of course that implies you have the capability to deal with the loose coal when you get it home, too. Check out the posting "cost of coal 2009/2010." To get an idea of the cost of coal.

This past winter I used just under 2 tons to heat my entire house from DEC to Apr. My average temperature in the house was 75*. My bagged coal cost me around $700 total. That represents a 50% savings on my heating bill over Natural Gas. I think you will be very happy once the switch is made to coal. You may find that you like the heat so much that you start using it for the entire house more and more. If you have any questions or concerns, just post them and I'm sure someone will get back with you. Good luck, Lisa

rdixon

Post by rdixon » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 2:26 pm

lowfog01 wrote:
medukonis wrote: He tells me that he and another store in Culpepper are the only sources of coal in the area. Is this true? Does anyone know of other source of coal in the Northern VA area? It can be bulk, cash and carry, whatever. I'm just looking at all options. My home is in Manassas VA. Thanks in advance!
JC Rice - Ace Hardware
9124 Mathis Avenue
Manassas, Virginia 20110

Hours: Monday - Friday 8am-7pm
Saturday 8am-6pm • Closed Sunday

These people sell bagged coal and usually have the rice on site but will get any size you need. They also sell Harman coal stoves but that is like an after thought so they can't really answer any questions about burning coal. They do try hard and have great customer service. They may deliver.

I'm in Springfield and have been burning coal as my only source of heat for 4 years. The place I like to get my coal from is HC Summer's farm supply in Jefferson, MD. That's just over the Point of Rocks bridge just off RT 15. They also have bulk and you may be able to work out a decent delivery price. Coming from Springfield, it's about the same distance; ok, it's a tad further but I like the drive. The price is the same. I usually get 1/2 ton at a time. If I was picking it up as I needed it I'd go to the place in Manassas. Good luck, Lisa

blairthomas

Post by blairthomas » Mon. Feb. 14, 2011 6:23 pm

This is just a post to say how great folks at JE Rice are. I am out, waited until last minute, Rice up in Manassas is selling me coal and piling it outside to pick up. Woodstoves Unlimited in Culpeper would do the same but they are out.

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Feb. 14, 2011 6:34 pm

blairthomas wrote:This is just a post to say how great folks at JE Rice are. I am out, waited until last minute, Rice up in Manassas is selling me coal and piling it outside to pick up. Woodstoves Unlimited in Culpeper would do the same but they are out.
Yes, Rice does have great customer service! I can't say enough good things about them. However, be aware that they do not stock coal year round. They get their order in late SEP or early OCT and that's all they get. It's always wise to call ahead before you go. HC Summer on the other hand in Jefferson, MD always has coal on hand in a variety of sizes if you need some at the last minute. That's just off RT 15 north of Leesburg. Lisa

blairthomas

Post by blairthomas » Mon. Feb. 14, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for that heads up, I try to keep a good supply on hand but went through a good bit earlier in the winter when it was so bitter.

Next year, I'm buying both pallets right at the start.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sat. Dec. 24, 2011 12:28 pm

I am looking for where to purchase coal, from the Roanoke, Va area, can not seem to find a source of coal to heat my home. I have available a means of transport fpr the coal just need a location that sells it. Please if anyone knows, If you need coal and know location and just need it transported I wil be glad to help you also. Thanks, e-mail me at [email protected] with information to purchase coal. I live in the Roanoke, Va area, Thanks

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Sat. Dec. 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Here are the Va coal suppliers that I know of. You didn't say if you are looking for Bit or Anthracite. Most of these carry anthracite. If in your search you find any of the information is wrong or you discover another source please let me know so I can update the list. Good luck, Lisa

Coal suppliers that I know of:
We have used H.C. Summer and Rice Hardware in the past – both have excellent customer service.

H.C. Summer
4002 Jefferson Pike
Jefferson, MD 21755
(301) 473-8300

J.E. Rice
9124 Mathis Avenue
Manassas, Virginia 20110

Other Coal suppliers in Central and South VA

RS Monger,
265 Chesapeake Ave, Harrisonburg, VA 22801
(540) 434-3882

Edwards and Sons
6541 Edwards Ln
Port Republic, VA 24471
540-249-4241

City Coal & Crating CO,
City Coal & Crating Company
530 Railroad Avenue
South Boston, VA 24592-3621 map
Phone:
(434) 572-4692

There is a mennitite farmer in Nathalie (near South Boston) who sells Blaschak. He is cash only. I don't know about nut coal, but he only sells rice coal by the pallet. His name is Henry Swartzentruber. His # is 434-454-7418.

Woodstoves Unlimited
645 James Madison HWY
Culpepper, VA 22701
USA
Phone: (540) 825-5838

http://www.readingstove.com/locator.html

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Richmond area

Martin Farms
Proudly Supporting US Coal
http://www.martinfarms.com
804-932-8340

stove coal only ? Bit?

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Jan. 14, 2012 2:54 pm

Lisa, Martin Farms sells only Stove size coal and only bituminous .

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Sat. Jan. 14, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks, I'll update the list.

kimberlyS
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US Stove 1500 Series
Other Heating: Heat pump

Post by kimberlyS » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Hi I live in Clifton, VA near Manassas. I am looking to install a coal stove (preferable the US Stove 1500 series) but can't find a local service that does the job, most of the heating companies areas seem to service only Gas, Electric or Wood stove. Any suggestion? Thank you!

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”