Red Ash or White Ash

ScubaSteve
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont castings Vigilant II model 2310

Post by ScubaSteve » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 11:57 pm

I definitly like the white ash coal better, I wish I had more choices as to which coal to buy, but not many choices here in coastal nj. Ive burned both and I think the white ash burns hotter longer

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Thu. Oct. 16, 2008 6:33 pm

I got another question.Is the white ash from mostly differant regions than the red ?I know the red has more iron in it but is it like a local thing or can you have a red ash vein and 2 mi.away have a white vein?Or is it like red ash is deeper mined,or is it mostly random?
DON

mike

Post by mike » Fri. Oct. 17, 2008 5:56 am

Almost all the veins in the Northern Field are white ash veins, Most of the veins in the Eastern Middle Field are white The Western Middle Field has both white and red. The Southern Field is mostly red pretty much except for the Mammoth vein and one or two of the smaller veins.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Fri. Oct. 17, 2008 4:52 pm

Thanks Mike
DON

Are there any good mines or breakers in the Northern Fields ?
So if you get coal from the southern fields and it has white ash mixed in chances are the white is from the mammoth vein ?

mike

Post by mike » Fri. Oct. 17, 2008 6:24 pm

There are only two companys in the Northern Field still processing coal and they are Hudson and Casey Kassa. Casey Kassa has two breakers and I wouldn't buy from either unless I was in a jam and needed coal right away. Hudson is definitly the better of the two. As far as buying coal in the Southern Field and it being white ash from the mammoth thats a pretty good chance but there are a couple of smaller veins that are white ash ( I don't remember which ones off the top of my head) but the coal very well could have came from either middle field too and was just run through the breaker in the southern field.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Fri. Oct. 17, 2008 8:52 pm

That northern field looks big on the map.Was it mined out years ago and not much left or is the coal up there just not that good in general ?
My friend next door just got some coal from Casey Kassa against my advise .He has a stoker and seems to have a lot of unburned in his ash.
I had some Hudson last year and it seemed to have a lot of "bone" in it.But what did burn,burned to white powder.
Are there any breakers that sell coal that is just from the mammoth vein?
DON

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 20, 2008 9:33 pm

According to their website, Jeddo primarily strips the mammoth vein.

mike

Post by mike » Mon. Oct. 20, 2008 9:50 pm

Jeddo does strip mostley just the Mammoth but the same people that own Jeddo have other strippings that aren't in the mammoth and that coal goes to Jeddo too. Probably the best breaker to get mostly Mammoth would be Summit.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 20, 2008 11:29 pm

BIG BEAM wrote:That northern field looks big on the map.Was it mined out years ago and not much left or is the coal up there just not that good in general ?
My friend next door just got some coal from Casey Kassa against my advise .He has a stoker and seems to have a lot of unburned in his ash.
I had some Hudson last year and it seemed to have a lot of "bone" in it.But what did burn,burned to white powder.
Are there any breakers that sell coal that is just from the mammoth vein?
DON
Don look on page two of this thread look at post 9 I have a list of Red ash veins and white ash veins then look at the links you will see who is in what vein of coal but some mines will be in another vein of coal by now but it will give you a good idea who has white ash & who has Red ash but remember most breakers run both threw the breaker like Mike said
Summit will have more white ash then red ash but on the other hand you will get more BTU's per lb out of Red then you
will out of white ash

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 4:12 pm

Thanks Mike,J.C.
I know these questions must seem strange to you guys but I'm trying to figure out a "mix" of coal that I like.I like white ash because it's ash is EZ to shake down,like wood ash.I like red because of it's BTU value.I have a lot of superior but I sort of forgot how it shakes down and I only burned 10 bags last year and couldn't get a "feel" for it except that it made a LOT of heat with less air.I also looked back at a post with the temps of some of the better coals.
UAE 450F
Superior 585F
Calvin Lennig 525F
Summit 485F
I haven't read a lot about Calvin Lennigs coal except it has good heat and 10-11% ash.Is it red or white ash or both?
BTW, I just got some Sherman coal(1.75 tons).I'm running out of room in my cellar :D .Been burning it for 3 days now and it seems good.All white ash,shakes down EZ and no clinkers.Heat isn't as good as Superior but not bad.Better than the mystery coal I have.My coal guy said he talked to the guy at the breaker and was told that Sherman is pulling all their coal from the mammoth vein now.Don't know if it's true or not or which mammoth vein it's from.
After studying different coals I think I may try Summit next,sounds like a mix I would like.Mostly white with some red for heat.
I'm not buying any more coal this year until I burn the Superior,keeping that for the cold weather.If it shakes down EZ and has no clinkers next year I'll buy just Superior in the spring so I can get all 7 tons and be done with it.This year I got 5 tons in the spring but when I went to get more then said no more out of state :x .
I do enjoy "playing" with different coal,so much to learn!

Mike,J.C. THANKS
DON

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 5:08 pm

Burning Lenig's in the stoker...burns HOT and responds fast to changes in the feed rate. Ash appears white.

I have Harmony for the hand-fed...burns well with a dark red ash, tends to clinker if I overfire the stove, then I have to go clinker fishing.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 5:18 pm

Well Don Mike & Myself can tell that Sherman is getting there coal out of the mine right behind my house Mike works
there one or two days a week Mammoth vein is all white ash coal and is very low in ash content so low it will burn up
quick like Paper that is why the breakers that gets it in will mix other coal in with it to bring the ash content up so it will
burn better and longer I know of one of Summit mines that is also up the road from me when he stated in 2006 the coal
he was pulling out was testing at 2.5 % way to low you have to mix it to get the ash up or it will burn fast plus the

mamonth vein does not produce alot of BTU's white ash coal as no Iron in it so you will never get Klinkers only red ash coal has Iron in it so you will get klinkers if you give it to much air with Superior coal you do not need alot of air once it is burning good back the air down Plus if you are using a hand fed only shake it once a day leave it burn it will hold a fire for a long time the fuzion temp for there coal is 2800F to 2900F so you would really have to be giving it to much air to get it to klinker back the air down and try to only shake it once a day Calvin V Lenig will have both red & white ash coal it will be mixed most if not all coal breakers in the Southern coal field and the middel field will have both red & white ash coal mixed he is a short rn down on what veins of coal that the breakers with there own mines are into it will be a short list for now

Summit Anthracite coal veins

Primrose vein red ash

Holmes vein white ash

Mammonth vein top split white ash

Mammoth middle split vein white ash

Middle Mammoth bottom split vein white ash

Skidmore vein red ash

Rough vein white ash

Superior coal veins

Buck Mountain vein white ash

Mammoth middle split white ash

Orchard vein red ash

Primrose vein red ash

Calvin v lenig

Lykens # 4 vein Red ash

Upper skidmore vein white ash

middle skidmore vein red ash

Rough vein white ash

UAE Harmony mine

Lykens # 2 vein Red ash with a little white ash

Sherman coal co.

Skidmore vein red ash ash Not sure if they are still in the skidmore now Mike will confirm

They where getting some Rough vein coal don't know if they a still getting it off of RS & W coal mine Mike will now
Last edited by coal berner on Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 5:23 pm

BIG BEAM wrote:Thanks Mike,J.C.
I know these questions must seem strange to you guys but I'm trying to figure out a "mix" of coal that I like.I like white ash because it's ash is EZ to shake down,like wood ash.I like red because of it's BTU value.I have a lot of superior but I sort of forgot how it shakes down and I only burned 10 bags last year and couldn't get a "feel" for it except that it made a LOT of heat with less air.I also looked back at a post with the temps of some of the better coals.
UAE 450F
Superior 585F
Calvin Lennig 525F
Summit 485F
I haven't read a lot about Calvin Lennigs coal except it has good heat and 10-11% ash.Is it red or white ash or both?
BTW, I just got some Sherman coal(1.75 tons).I'm running out of room in my cellar :D .Been burning it for 3 days now and it seems good.All white ash,shakes down EZ and no clinkers.Heat isn't as good as Superior but not bad.Better than the mystery coal I have.My coal guy said he talked to the guy at the breaker and was told that Sherman is pulling all their coal from the mammoth vein now.Don't know if it's true or not or which mammoth vein it's from.
After studying different coals I think I may try Summit next,sounds like a mix I would like.Mostly white with some red for heat.
I'm not buying any more coal this year until I burn the Superior,keeping that for the cold weather.If it shakes down EZ and has no clinkers next year I'll buy just Superior in the spring so I can get all 7 tons and be done with it.This year I got 5 tons in the spring but when I went to get more then said no more out of state :x .
I do enjoy "playing" with different coal,so much to learn!

Mike,J.C. THANKS
DON
Quick change on the flue temps with a prob thermomenter
Superior will get up to 650F to 700F flue temps keep the air down
UAE is 485F flue temps
Summit was 450F flue temp
Calvin V Lenig 525F

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi,

I read every post and find this thread really interesting. I have a stoker and was wondering if someone can tell me what type of coal I have. On the grate it looks like red ash but in the ash pan it looks like white and red ash so I'm confused. This was from Kimmel. Here are two pics.

Attachments

ash1.jpg
.JPG | 648.7KB | ash1.jpg
ash2.jpg
.JPG | 730.2KB | ash2.jpg

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 7:48 pm

OK here's another strange question,
Sometimes when I'm 'clinker fishing" I come across a glob that looks like molton glass that is trying to glue ash and partially burned coal together.It's not solid and not liquid.After a little cooling 10 seconds it turns solid and has glued the ash and coal together.Is this from the sand or silica that's in the coal and if so why doesn't white ash seem to do this?I never seen this in Superior coal but I do get this in most mystery coal with red ash.
DON

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”