Red Ash or White Ash

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Feb. 09, 2010 8:43 pm

The ash from the Kimmels bagged nut I've used in years past sounds exactly like the Superior you describe.

efo141

Post by efo141 » Tue. Feb. 09, 2010 9:14 pm

I have a friend burning Superior nut in his hand fired Harman boiler and have seen softball size clinkers it makes.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 10:47 pm

Wow, very interesting thread! The coal I used last year had a light grayish white color to it. It burned great, although I never compared it to anything since it was my first year. It produced a lot of pieces in the ash, many quarter sized flat and had a resemblance of bone. Many of these pieces were marbled with a brown color. It had many smaller pieces too the same way. I haul my coal with barrels. A barrel of this coal weighed in at about 420 pounds.

Now this year, my dealer is getting his coal from a different supplier. And its only $200 per ton instead of $235 per ton last year for the white ash coal. This coal produces an ash that has a very red hue to it. Kinda looks like the surface of Mars. It mostly burns down to a fine powder and I hardly have any of these pieces that I described with the coal I used last year. Other than the powdery ash, there is some unburnt coal pieces that fall through. Seems more stubborn to shake down. This coal weighs in at about 480 pounds per barrel.

SO you can see the coal I have this year is more dense. Also, it seems to burn longer, hotter, and it seems to not burn down as fast. Just today when I opened the load door to check it, it looked like I just filled it, that was after a 15 hour burn. I shook it down good and only had to add 2 shovels (15 pounds) to bring it back up to where it was. I don't need to push my furnace very hard to keep warm so hopefully I won't have the clinker problem that seems to be associated with red ash coal.

IN the pics below, I put a blue eraser in there for a reference color..

Overall, I think I'm going to prefer this red ash coal over the white ash that I used last year.. :D

Attachments

IMG_3716.JPG

pic taken with no flash

.JPG | 81.6KB | IMG_3716.JPG
IMG_3718.JPG

pic taken with flash

.JPG | 195.4KB | IMG_3718.JPG

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 11:09 pm

Stokers do not much care. Stokers handle the clinkers as a mass that are pushed off the stoker feed plate. The hand feds need to be shaked, or rocked. So the hand feds can get bound up depending on if they are rockers or shakers. Rockers can get bound up with the fused red ash "iron", shakers cannot dump the fused material. I once owned a Buderus shaker, well before this forum, and not paying attention I too was confused as why some burnt well and others did not. No one ever mentioned white ash or red ash :oops:

Blackdiamonddoug

Post by Blackdiamonddoug » Wed. Oct. 31, 2012 8:40 am

Just got a load of hudson coal ash is very white burns all coal no unburned coal in the ash

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 8:35 am

I was digging around for information on red vs. white ash coal last night. Like Bob H. says, this was a'' spanker'' of a good thread.

I'm only bumping it up because it may interest you guys that also wondered why the black rocks all look the same, but they sure don't burn the same !

Thank-you to coal berner for his comments on this topic. He explains it well.

Hope someone likes this topic as much as I did .

Dave

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”