Making Trip to Uae Harmony

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 11:33 am

BigJohn wrote:You can relax in your home in Pottsville. I can see the Harmony mine from my living room and have a hard time relaxing when you are telling people it is OK to overload a trailer. That is not safe. Don't put my family and friends at risk just to save a few bucks.
John
I am stating what I have seen from which other member have done None of them had any problems & I never said I did it or used any trailers to get coal . Seems you have a problem with people from Pottsville being you used it a few times .
Must have to do with High school football rivalry or something whatever it is you can stop with it because I really don't
care However I am aways will to settle any differences between myself and anyone else If there is any Problem.
If I where you I would be more concern about the Tri Axel and TT trucks going Thur your town with overweighted loads
and speeding from the mines and breakers you have in your area then a Pick up or a Van towing a trailer

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm not trying to jump into the fray here, just offering some points I've considered. When you log onto the uhaul site you must enter your vehicle information. Their allowable trailer load is then displayed as a factor of your tow vehicle up to a point. This is the process I recent went through for this same trip and I probably missed something...
  • Check out any trailer's design limits, not just a uhaul:
    • max tongue weight capacity(usually 10=15% of load), ball hitch capacity, axle capacity (X # of axles, diameter and bearing size), hub design (5 vs. 6 ... lugs), brakes (type and size) and tire capacity at max pressure.
      Talk to a trailer dealer and see what fails first. I recently did this and he showed me a PILE of bent 3,500 Lb axles!
  • Check out your tow vehicle and any suspension additions/mods that have been made ... up to a point:
    • GVW, Hitch rating (class III or IV or V) and weight/tongue capacity, receiver and ball ratings as a unit, summed front and rear axle capacities, hub design (X # of lugs), is there a trailer brake controller installed, total tire capacities at max pressure at each axle and how the weight will be distributed to them by the use of a weight distributing hitch if needed.
    How the two perform as an individual unit and hitched together.
    • Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGVW) and braking limits. What direction (to which axel) is the weight going? There's fulcrums galore in this equation.
Think it through and look for the weakest link. Then do some more research on how others use these combinations. Experience counts! If you're not a by-the-book kind of person, think about the ramifications if there's a problem. Then it becomes a how-big-is-your-sack thing. ;)

BigJohn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer X2
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BigJohn » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 12:52 pm

My whole point here is. Please come to UAE Harmony Mine for your coal. But please do it safely. Use the proper truck or trailer or whatever [coalfire]. Enjoy your trip, spend some money here. Stop by my place say hello.
Pottsville Area High School Alumni
John

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 1:20 pm

BigJohn wrote:My whole point here is. Please come to UAE Harmony Mine for your coal. But please do it safely. Use the proper truck or trailer or whatever [coalfire]. Enjoy your trip, spend some money here. Stop by my place say hello.
Pottsville Area High School Alumni
John
Pottsville High School Alumni What Year Big John BTW I send & Take more People to UAE Harmony mine for coal then they can Handel ;) & that goes for most of the other good coal breakers as well . Being you live close to them you should already know that they are limited on the coal that they can get out of that mine they will be done in there in another year or less
that mine will be closed out of mine able coal unless they can go west of the current location or west of the mountain and sink another one they will be done mining coal there . So get while you can

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 2:13 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:I'm not trying to jump into the fray here, just offering some points I've considered. When you log onto the uhaul site you must enter your vehicle information. Their allowable trailer load is then displayed as a factor of your tow vehicle up to a point. This is the process I recent went through for this same trip and I probably missed something...
  • Check out any trailer's design limits, not
    Wejust a uhaul:
    • max tongue weight capacity(usually 10=15% of load), ball hitch capacity, axle capacity (X # of axles, diameter and bearing size), hub design (5 vs. 6 ... lugs), brakes (type and size) and tire capacity at max pressure.
      Talk to a trailer dealer and see what fails first. I recently did this and he showed me a PILE of bent 3,500 Lb axles!
  • Check out your tow vehicle and any suspension additions/mods that have been made ... up to a point:
    • GVW, Hitch rating (class III or IV or V) and weight/tongue capacity, receiver and ball ratings as a unit, summed front and rear axle capacities, hub design (X # of lugs), is there a trailer brake controller installed, total tire capacities at max pressure at each axle and how the weight will be distributed to them by the use of a weight distributing hitch if needed.
    How the two perform as an individual unit and hitched together.
    • Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGVW) and braking limits. What direction (to which axel) is the weight going? There's fulcrums galore in this equation.
Think it through and look for the weakest link. Then do some more research on how others use these combinations. Experience counts! If you're not a by-the-book kind of person, think about the ramifications if there's a problem. Then it becomes a how-big-is-your-sack thing. ;)
Well Tell us what did you learn on your first trip with new truck and trailer could you of hauled more then you did where you over weight with your setup did you have any problems with the load you had on could you of put more on and have been safe with out breaking anything How did the load handel http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/HitchGlossary/Hitch ... dFoot.aspx
All truck and trailer measurements are approximate. The equipment you receive may vary in size, based on the engineering/design specifications of multiple-production models

sweeperman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Pine Barren coal barren

Post by sweeperman » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 3:52 pm

I think im just going to take my old B Model Mack insted ;)

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 3:56 pm

coal berner wrote:
VigIIPeaBurner wrote:... Experience counts! If you're not a by-the-book kind of person, think about the ramifications if there's a problem. Then it becomes a how-big-is-your-sack thing. ;)
Well Tell us what did you learn on your first trip with new truck and trailer could you of hauled more then you did where you over weight with your setup did you have any problems with the load you had on could you of put more on and have been safe with out breaking anything How did the load handel http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/HitchGlossary/Hitch ... dFoot.aspx
All truck and trailer measurements are approximate. The equipment you receive may vary in size, based on the engineering/design specifications of multiple-production models
Good link! States alot too.

I repeat ... it becomes a how-big-is-your-sack thing! ;) And I added that Experience counts! And I've learned from it too!! :notworthy: Truck was overweight but had added suspension stuff as you know (my coal miner's face impression :D ) It handled well with the roads rain slick all the way. If I had my own 10k dump trailer, it could have done at least 1k more seing that the CGVW still said I could cary anohter 150 Lbs. Even so, the 7k trailer was at max weight and I kept hearing Harry Chappen's 30,000 Lbs of BANANAS playing in my head. And you just loved the engine brake on the hills too, didn't you? :lol:

sweeperman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Pine Barren coal barren

Post by sweeperman » Fri. Oct. 01, 2010 9:48 pm

For what it's worth, the 6X12 U-Haul utility trailer has 2 4500 lbs. axels and hubs. The tires are rated 2040 lbs. ea. at 65 psi. The axel and frame of that trailer is the same as their largest car carrier trailer. Me personaly, I feel ore then comfortable puttin a 3.5 ton load on that trailer with the proper tow vehicle and care of driving.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Fri. Oct. 01, 2010 11:09 pm

No one will be bending or breaking anything on that uhaul trailer; as was mentioned it is very well built and has the axles, tires, breaks, and construction to handle 3 tons of coal easily. Uhaul lists what weight can be hauled, and is very conservative, simply to get more life out of their equiptment; how many of you tow a uhaul trailer at 45mph like they specify? how many people driving uhaul or penske trucks are going the 55 mph max that is posted all over their equiptment? these "ratings" like the capacity listing for the uhaul trailer are intended to encourage people to use their equiptment as lightly as possible so that uhaul has less maintenance and costs over the life of the equiptment.

LiftedAWDAstro
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker 160

Post by LiftedAWDAstro » Sat. Oct. 02, 2010 7:51 am

sweeperman wrote:For what it's worth, the 6X12 U-Haul utility trailer has 2 4500 lbs. axels and hubs. The tires are rated 2040 lbs. ea. at 65 psi. The axel and frame of that trailer is the same as their largest car carrier trailer. Me personaly, I feel ore then comfortable puttin a 3.5 ton load on that trailer with the proper tow vehicle and care of driving.
Knowing this information, I feel more comfortable in that the trailer will hold the 3.5 tons of coal. When you read the trailer specs on u-haul's site it makes you think the trailer is built with light duty components simply due to the low weight capacities.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Oct. 03, 2010 9:15 pm

6 gallon buckets are killers when bucketing out basement coal, right John :!: ?
Yep. :lol:

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sun. Oct. 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
6 gallon buckets are killers when bucketing out basement coal, right John :!: ?
Yep. :lol:
Aww, quit crying, you guys... I got 2 tons out of a neighbor's basement, with buckets, by myself, just cuz it was free, THEN I gave it away to friends :lol: :doh: :dancing:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Oct. 04, 2010 7:32 am

And we appreciated it!

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Mon. Oct. 04, 2010 7:42 am

yes we did,twas very nice. :)

Hot Rocks
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hyfire II
Other Heating: Water Coil

Post by Hot Rocks » Mon. Oct. 04, 2010 8:28 pm

went to harmony today for coal , bins are full ,I called first they said open m-f 7-5 sat 7-12 :D

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”