Making Trip to Uae Harmony

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Sep. 25, 2010 9:37 pm

sweeperman wrote:Thanks all the trailer I saw at U Haul had a gate not a ramp but now I thinking I will use plywood and get 3.5 tons if the trailer can handel it Im coming from Union beach NJ so its a ride Thanks sweeprman
It will Handel it and then some just inflate the tires to max PSI listed on the sidewalls them trailers are over built
look at the link below shows both trailers with and with out Ramp .The 5x9 are nice to high sides but can not haul as much as the 6x12 3' to 4' Plywood front back & sides will give you what you need. Don't forget a Tarp and tie down straps It is the Law to cover your loads on Highways / interstates Plenty of big hills around up here for the coal to fall out not to mention all the Pot holes in the roads :mad:

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail ... x?model=HO

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail ... x?model=RO

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail ... x?model=RT

sweeperman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Pine Barren coal barren

Post by sweeperman » Sat. Sep. 25, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks Coal Berner I will do the tire presure and tarp my load my van is a 1ton diesel and pulls great. Sweeperman

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Sat. Sep. 25, 2010 10:22 pm

sweeperman wrote:Thanks Coal Berner I will do the tire presure and tarp my load my van is a 1ton diesel and pulls great. Sweeperman
It will get a good work out up here enjoy the Mountain roads some nice steep & curvy ones

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. Sep. 26, 2010 12:33 am

coal berner wrote:
sweeperman wrote:Thanks Coal Berner I will do the tire presure and tarp my load my van is a 1ton diesel and pulls great. Sweeperman
It will get a good work out up here enjoy the Mountain roads some nice steep & curvy ones

;) Yes, and I especially like the 70* turns at the top that you can trailer at 55! :lol:

Take heed of what coal berner says ... who was that guy in Scranton hauling 30,000 lbs of BANANAS?

I miss Harry's music ... this one's somewhat prophetic, he died in a car accident.

Editing to correct and clarify my earlier post, (40Lb/5gal)= ~8Lb/gal (8Lb/gal*6gal)*30 6 gal buckets=1440Lb in 30 6 gal buckets. 6 gallon buckets are killers when bucketing out basement coal, right John :!: ?

LiftedAWDAstro
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker 160
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by LiftedAWDAstro » Sun. Sep. 26, 2010 10:20 am

sweeperman wrote:Thanks all the trailer I saw at U Haul had a gate not a ramp but now I thinking I will use plywood and get 3.5 tons if the trailer can handel it Im coming from Union beach NJ so its a ride Thanks sweeprman
Those U-haul trailers are only rated to carry a max of less than 3,000 lbs! That's only a ton and a half. If you load it with 3.5 tons and bend/break the tongue, I bet your credit card company will LOVE you! :o

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Sun. Sep. 26, 2010 11:13 am

coal berner wrote:
Cap wrote:The nazi woman has always been nice to me. Who gave her the title???

Drive past the office/trailer around to the left onto the scale. Smile when you see the weighmaster. She'll wink in return. :P Drive back around front to the pile of coal you desire. He'll load it. Got back and see the weighmaster. Not a bad place.
There are two different women Wendy is the blonde / Coal Nazi that runs the place she is the one that answers the phone most people will not see her unless you go inside the trailer The black haired woman is the one that takes the money at the window Can't think of her name at the moment she is nice to deal with .

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Sun. Sep. 26, 2010 11:48 am

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
Those U-haul trailers are only rated to carry a max of less than 3,000 lbs! That's only a ton and a half. If you load it with 3.5 tons and bend/break the tongue, I bet your credit card company will LOVE you! :o
Yes that # is well underrated for these trailers they are very well built like most Pick ups are underrated There is a member that comes down from Conn. every year for the past 4 with a 6x12 u haul he puts on 3.5 to 4 tons nothing moves he never had a problem them trailers are over built very strong. There a few other members that come up from N.J. as-well that also use them trailer 6x12 5x8 5x9 with out any problems . I believe when you rent one you are paying for insurance on the trailer anyway to cover any damage or repairs Just like when you rent anything

BigJohn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer X2

Post by BigJohn » Sun. Sep. 26, 2010 3:34 pm

How much is the fine for having 3.5 tons on a trailer rated for 3000 pounds? Good luck at the scales.
John

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 9:51 am

BigJohn wrote:How much is the fine for having 3.5 tons on a trailer rated for 3000 pounds? Good luck at the scales.
John
what scale the breakers don't care there not responsible for the load The owner & Operator of the Vehicle is
and I don't think DOT is going to make you go on their scales A Van pulling a trailer is not a big concern for DOT
When there is TT running overweight all over the interstates. And your not even going to see or feel a extra 500lbs on the trailer

LiftedAWDAstro
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker 160

Post by LiftedAWDAstro » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 10:19 am

coal berner wrote:
BigJohn wrote:How much is the fine for having 3.5 tons on a trailer rated for 3000 pounds? Good luck at the scales.
John
And your not even going to see or feel a extra 500lbs on the trailer
Thing is, he isn't only 500 # over...he is looking at 2 TONS over the rated trailer weight. Seems like a big risk to take for a few dollars savings. Have the trailer break, come free and wipe out a church van full of kids...You can bet U-haul's insurance won't cover that and neither will your auto policy.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 10:23 am

coal berner wrote:
John
what scale the breakers don't care there not responsible for the load The owner & Operator of the Vehicle is
and I don't think DOT is going to make you go on their scales A Van pulling a trailer is not a big concern for DOT
When there is TT running overweight all over the interstates. And your not even going to see or feel a extra 500lbs on the trailer
If my math is correct that would be an extra 4,000 lbs. I think you would feel that.

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 10:39 am

Coal berner you may be safe in Pottsville. But I am not happy with unsafe vehicles putting my family and friends at risk. Bring a safe vehicle and get as much coal as you need. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
John

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 10:47 am

Yes I miss read what Big John was saying he said 3.5 TONs on a 3000 lb trailer I thought it was 3.500 Lbs on a 3000lb
trailer My mistake It will not happen again Now getting back on this trailer and weight all I can say is what I seen first hand more then once with other members using these trailers On the 6x12 with plywood on front back and sides of it filled with Nut coal & Rice on other different trips To Harmony and other breakers putting in 3 Tons to 3.5 Tons does nothing to these trailers the tires stay up and the big set of springs hardly move. Also seen the 5x8 & 5x9 with 2 to 2.5 tons on them as well no problems with them either . Do what you want Just saying what I actually seen with these trailer.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 10:58 am

BigJohn wrote:Coal berner you may be safe in Pottsville. But I am not happy with unsafe vehicles putting my family and friends at risk. Bring a safe vehicle and get as much coal as you need. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
John
First I don't use any trailer to get my coal I use a truck Second I am commenting on what I have seen first hand with
other members coming in to get coal with these trailers about 8 different members using u haul trailers Third I don't get any coal in Pottsville I go to UAE and other's. So relax and take it for what it is worth

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 11:08 am

You can relax in your home in Pottsville. I can see the Harmony mine from my living room and have a hard time relaxing when you are telling people it is OK to overload a trailer. That is not safe. Don't put my family and friends at risk just to save a few bucks.
John

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”