Making Trip to Uae Harmony

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Feb. 09, 2010 10:09 am

coalrunner wrote:ill have to call to make sure they have a good supply of nut. thats good I can hand load. see my truck can only hold a ton so I was going to rent a small box truck. I figure with a bobcat they should be able to get the bucket inside the box then before they give me another bucket all I havr to do is push the coal to the back of the truck. sounded good in theory anyway
Rent a open trailer from u-haul don't forget a tarp & tie downs to cover the load

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail ... -6x12-ramp
use a piece of plywood across the back the coal will fall out threw the bottom of ramp
http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail ... railer-5x9
same as above with plywood
http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=o ... ailer-6x12
This one you would need to use some plywood on the sides front & back
Last edited by coal berner on Tue. Feb. 09, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Tue. Feb. 09, 2010 10:24 am

coalrunner wrote:ill have to call to make sure they have a good supply of nut. thats good I can hand load. see my truck can only hold a ton so I was going to rent a small box truck. I figure with a bobcat they should be able to get the bucket inside the box then before they give me another bucket all I havr to do is push the coal to the back of the truck. sounded good in theory anyway
Thats a good idea, it might even be cheaper to rent or buy a small trailer that can haul a ton. I got a small one that I pull behind my subaru outback, and it is rated for 2000lbs. I have hauled coal in it before, but with the car, I can't drive distances, just locally.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Feb. 09, 2010 10:43 am

DVC500 at last wrote:
Thats a good idea, it might even be cheaper to rent or buy a small trailer that can haul a ton. I got a small one that I pull behind my subaru outback, and it is rated for 2000lbs. I have hauled coal in it before, but with the car, I can't drive distances, just locally.
Many members on here rent them the two best sizes are 6x12 & 5x9 The 6x12 will hold and haul 3 to 3.5 tons with out any problems One member from Conn. comes down twice a year with a U haul 6x12 trailer gets 4 tons on the trailer a 4.5 on the drump truck The one open side needs plywood on it to haul coal front & back aswell the other's just need a piece
across the back being they are ramp trailers the coal will fall threw the bottom Just make sure the tires are max with air the 6x12 have Auto surge breaks on them

gwjwbw

Post by gwjwbw » Tue. Feb. 09, 2010 3:57 pm

anyone know what the price for rice?

brckwlt

Post by brckwlt » Tue. Feb. 09, 2010 4:05 pm

150 at uae harmony mine

brckwlt

Post by brckwlt » Tue. Feb. 09, 2010 4:08 pm

coal berner wrote:
DVC500 at last wrote: Thats a good idea, it might even be cheaper to rent or buy a small trailer that can haul a ton. I got a small one that I pull behind my subaru outback, and it is rated for 2000lbs. I have hauled coal in it before, but with the car, I can't drive distances, just locally.
Many members on here rent them the two best sizes are 6x12 & 5x9 The 6x12 will hold and haul 3 to 3.5 tons with out any problems One member from Conn. comes down twice a year with a U haul 6x12 trailer gets 4 tons on the trailer a 4.5 on the drump truck The one open side needs plywood on it to haul coal front & back aswell the other's just need a piece
across the back being they are ramp trailers the coal will fall threw the bottom Just make sure the tires are max with air the 6x12 have Auto surge breaks on them
from what the u haul website says those trailers can only haul a load of 1600, 2100, and 2600.

so how is it safe haul up to 4 ton on one of those?

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Feb. 09, 2010 6:49 pm

they're very, very, underrated, I feel three tons would be safe for the 6x12 trailer - make damn sure you load it much heavier in front. I wouldn't push 4 ton out of it if I had to drive over 10 miles. the most I would put on it is three ton safely. I've had 2 and three tons on them before and they've done fine - with three ton you're getting close to the load rating of the tires and you have little clearance between the axle and the frame.

coalrunner
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 260

Post by coalrunner » Tue. Feb. 09, 2010 11:01 pm

great idea!! I really never cosidered renting a trailer.reason for box truck was because I can get deisel fuel for a song and dance at work so I figured id save some bucks on fuel but with the cost of a trailer ill save big time and take my own truck to boot!

brckwlt

Post by brckwlt » Tue. Feb. 09, 2010 11:34 pm

the big 6 x 12 trailer is only 30 dollars to rent. that seems like a good deal to me

coalrunner

Post by coalrunner » Wed. Feb. 10, 2010 5:29 pm

i looked today at the 4x7 trailer and its about the size I need to get the coal I want. looks like it will work well. now if this damn weather would be a little nicer to me ill be well on my way

jjmason

Post by jjmason » Wed. Feb. 10, 2010 8:08 pm

coalrunner wrote:i looked today at the 4x7 trailer and its about the size I need to get the coal I want. looks like it will work well. now if this damn weather would be a little nicer to me ill be well on my way
Just be sure to call first before you go to make sure they have the size coal you need. I was there around 8 AM this morning before the worst of the snow hit. I got 1-1/4 ton of rice and I doubt there was another ton left in the bin after I was loaded. There was decent piles of buck, pea, and nut though.

coalrunner

Post by coalrunner » Wed. Feb. 10, 2010 10:23 pm

i plan on calling the night before. I want to get one and a half ton of nut and half a ton of styove for the cold days. I really need to get up there as I have about 3 days left on hard coal then ill have to burn bit again which I just don't want to do but when it comes down to it its better than paying the gas man

coalrunner

Post by coalrunner » Sat. Feb. 13, 2010 1:39 pm

well guys, I got beat on my trip to uae. on Wednesday the alternator went out on my Toyota and the one I ordered wont be here till Monday. I ended up having to borrow my fathers truck which he wasn't very fond of the idea of me taking it on a three hour tour, so I took the shorter route to zubeks and got a half ton to hold me over until I can make it up to Mt.Carmel. however, I cant complain as this load of coal burns so much better than the last stuff I got up there. before I had to leave the ash door open for half an hour to really get it going. but this stuff soaking wet kicks of with the blue honeys in just minutes and burns really hot. big noticeable difference from what I got there a couple weeks ago. at least I wont suffer while I wait to take the long run....

artie

Post by artie » Sat. Feb. 13, 2010 7:53 pm

coal runner aint you glad that alt went out befor you went on your coal run.I was heading up from tn on route 431 back in dec
last year headed towards owensboro ky to sampsons coal yard when on a lonley streach when my little 84 toyota trucks fireing system quit .talk about a pit feeling in your belly. well called a wrecker got towed to centeral city to auto zone patched the ole girl up and headed home empty handed. but hey :D it was an adventure. there just isnt anything like a good coal run :lol:

coalrunner

Post by coalrunner » Sat. Feb. 13, 2010 9:45 pm

you're right about that, better to be stranded at home then miles away. I figure it went out a bit back and I ran on the batt for awhile. just thank god it didnt leave my two ton of nut stranded along the road!!! :cry: ill have her fixed for the next run and if I have to ill rent a uhaul!!

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”