Cannel Coal (Fire Place Coal)

grobinson2
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy, and EFM 520 round door
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Buck, Pea, Nut, and Stove
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Wed. Dec. 09, 2009 1:53 pm

Hey Guys,
Have been calling all around NE PA this morning trying to find some Cannel Coal (SP?) for the fire place. Does anyone know where I can get some of this coal. I don't need a whole lot but if I have to buy a ton or two that is not a huge issue. I am in Lancaster County, PA and don't mind a drive within reason.

Thanks guys,
Glenn

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Wed. Dec. 09, 2009 2:22 pm

Wertz's coal yd in mechanicsburg try's to carry it, I called because I was curious, and they don't have much left, and it is in small pieces. they said they havent been able to get it for the last 2 years.

grobinson2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Wed. Dec. 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Yep... Just got off the phone with them. Hahaha... Damn!

Glenn

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Tue. Dec. 15, 2009 8:01 am

picked up a bag off of dungeon master this past weekend.
man this stuff is hard to crack,but burns like freakin rocket fuel in the stove! ;)
only thing I don't like is when you first put it in the fire it pops very bad.i am worried about crackin the glass. :shock:

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Tue. Dec. 15, 2009 9:59 am

New Hope Engineer wrote:picked up a bag off of dungeon master this past weekend.
man this stuff is hard to crack,but burns like freakin rocket fuel in the stove! ;)
only thing I don't like is when you first put it in the fire it pops very bad.i am worried about crackin the glass. :shock:
I got a bag from dungeon master too. Haven't tried it yet, I want to test it outside in the firepit first.

New Hope Engineer

Post by New Hope Engineer » Tue. Dec. 15, 2009 10:05 am

DVC500 at last wrote:
New Hope Engineer wrote:picked up a bag off of dungeon master this past weekend.
I got a bag from dungeon master too. Haven't tried it yet, I want to test it outside in the firepit first.
i recommend safety glasses and a bullet proff vest! :shock: LOL
you will see what I mean when you throw the first piece in. he he ;)

grobinson2

Post by grobinson2 » Tue. Dec. 15, 2009 10:37 am

How far away is the cannel coal fairy from Lancaster, PA??? :)

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Dec. 15, 2009 11:38 am

that Thompson bros "ohio # 4" is a spore-based coal -(edited: it is a high spore content coal, not spore based, why I said this is beyond me) it is comprised of a large amount of spores, much higer than most coals, but not solely like true cannel. This high spore content makes it very high volitile and free-burning, which make this a very good fireplace coal. Unfortunately it does "crackle" a bit more than most coals so you cant leave the screen off like you can w/ Kentucky coal. that #4 coal is very unique because even though it's high vol, it has decent BTU's and is very dense/hard.

grobinson2

Post by grobinson2 » Tue. Dec. 15, 2009 11:49 am

Berlin,
I know you and I had talked before... Don't suppose you majickley came up with a source near Lancaster, PA or MD yet did you? :)

Glenn

artie

Post by artie » Tue. Dec. 15, 2009 8:35 pm

hi friends about 1992 I think it was I responded to a newspaper add that said free coal just haul away.so I went to nashville to the address and found in their basement a coal hold full of stocker coal or slightly larger. needless to say I was very happy it took three trips in my little nissan pickup to haul it all home. and let me tell yall it was the best coal id ever used honest you could wad up some newsparer in the stove light it and sprinkle a shovel of this coal on it and it would light :lol: .i needless to say it was a warm winter but I never did know what type it could have been .till some years later I was talking to this ole dude who told me it may very well have been cannel coal, man to have a few tons of that stull would be great :) . have a good evening

New Hope Engineer

Post by New Hope Engineer » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 10:30 am

grobinson2 wrote:How far away is the cannel coal fairy from Lancaster, PA??? :)
he only had a small amount to spare.did wertz coal say if they would have anymore in the future?

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 12:07 pm

New Hope Engineer wrote:i recommend safety glasses and a bullet proff vest! :shock: LOL
you will see what I mean when you throw the first piece in. he he ;)
Wow, these lumps are hard as diamonds ! :shock: I thought Cannel coal was a soft coal... :crazy:
How do you crack this stuff?????

grobinson2

Post by grobinson2 » Wed. Dec. 16, 2009 2:37 pm

Wartz will not be getting any more in the foreseeable future. :( Man I really wanted some of this stuff or some Kentucky coal for Christmas. Berlin, how much would a ton be if I have to take that much? Don't really need that much but if that's what I have to do so be it. My family already thinks I am nuts for having 7 coal stoves so whats a ton of coal for the fire place. :)

Glenn

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Thu. Dec. 17, 2009 12:30 am

It would be pretty expensive, and i'd have to deliver more than 1 ton for it to be even remotely cost-effective. I think that you may be able to find some (not necessarily cannel or good kentucky coal) but some lump bituminous; perhaps not by christmas, but probably before next year. Good luck w/ your search :)

on another note, that #4 coal is very hard- but yet VERY volitle; that's why is unique- a very unusual combination of features due mostly to the high spore content and almost nonexistant charcoal bands in it. It formed in a relatively treeless swamp heavily populated by ferns.

nets

Post by nets » Mon. May. 10, 2010 9:40 am

Hi, we are going to start a mine of cannel coal,

you know who can buy it?

please let me know

Ernesto Olivas
[email protected]

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”