Is There That Much of a Difference ?

bug512

Post by bug512 » Sun. Nov. 29, 2009 8:52 pm

Hello .. I have used the same coal supplier (Russell A Kresge & Sons) for the last 5 + seasons, in fact they have been the only suppler of coal I ever got.
Well this all changed this season, they were unable to get me 6 tons of coal when I called in September, they said it wouldn't be until late November and for me to look else where if possible.
OK I said ??? Then I looked at a supplier in Easton PA (Aerni & Hitzel Fuel Inc), they were able to get me coal within two weeks of calling, one of the problems is their truck only holds four tons. Oh, well I guess I will get some more delivered later in the year. They tell me it is from the Blaschak mine. Is that good?

I think I might have been getting shorted from the previous supplier because four tons looks just a little less then the six tons I got before. Another is ash..
I have used the same 38# Tidy Cat buckets to top of the hopper, the biggest change is the ash, less then half of what I took out perviously.

So is there that much of a difference ? Oh and to top that all off it is $30 cheeper ..

Great message board.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sun. Nov. 29, 2009 8:58 pm

I am currently burning Blaschak Rice, and I bought it from Aerni & Hitzel's, also. They were very helpfull. I have been happy with Blaschak, I got a 3 ton delivery last year, and I swear it was closer to 6500lbs, as it all would not fit in my outside hopper. It was more expensive than other sources, but I am happy I got it. :D

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. Nov. 29, 2009 9:10 pm

There can be quite a difference in coals depending on what vein they're mined from. They vary in BTU content, % ash, how long or how quickly it burns, the color of the ash remaining and the texture of the ash. The ash could be crumbly, sandy or maintain its original shape and be a bit crunchy which is a result of the vien's mineral content. Then there's how it was sorted which might mean the size distribution is wide or narrow not to mention garbage like wood, rock etc that might be present. Look around this forum and you'll find quite a few threads about this topic.

2112 edit: There's a thread in the New Jersey froum about NJ coal dealers. Check it out and check your PM :)

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”