Good Place(S) to Buy Coal in Northeastern PA?

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Dec. 11, 2009 8:12 am

Happy (and warm!) :D
Coal 12-10-09.jpg
.JPG | 97KB | Coal 12-10-09.jpg

ohyeahfriday

Post by ohyeahfriday » Fri. Dec. 11, 2009 10:43 am

150 a ton, dang I just got desparate and paid 185 for rice at Outside Matters. I still have room for another 3 ton or so, and am definitely shopping around since I have time now... :mad:

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Dec. 11, 2009 11:29 am

Try Hudson, they are only about 5 or 10 minutes off 81 at the Pittston exit:

655-4151

Make sure you tell them you want rice.

Supply should be good at this time of the year especially considering the warmer weather in November but if it gets tight thy will start cutting who they sell too as do all the breakers.

ohyeahfriday

Post by ohyeahfriday » Fri. Dec. 11, 2009 12:44 pm

I think my wife called them Weds. and asked prices, but I will check with them myself before getting another load.

Thanks,

Pat

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Fri. Dec. 11, 2009 12:49 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Happy (and warm!) :D
Coal 12-10-09.jpg
and the brake line repair holds up well I see!! Fords rule for slave labor!! :)

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Dec. 11, 2009 6:35 pm

and the brake line repair holds up well I see!! Fords rule for slave labor!!
I finally got the back lower then the front (just a little, though)! The bed is full to the top, I think this is about the truck's capacity without sacrificing safety. It's still in there, going to begin shoveling tomorrow.
150 a ton, dang I just got desparate and paid 185 for rice at Outside Matters.
plus about $50 in gas for the round trip added to that $150/ton, but this coal burns great and produces lots of heat.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Dec. 12, 2012 6:56 am

coal berner wrote:The Mt Carmel Area coal could be coming from any of these place below.

Black Diamond Mining Inc Black Diamond Mining Sioux Mine Price per ton don't know

Mid Valley Coal Sales Inc Mid Valley Coal Sales Glen Burn Mine Price Per ton don't know

Susquehanna Coal Co Susquehanna Mt Carmel Cogen Mine Price Per ton don't know

Molesevich Snake Rd Mine D Molesevich & Sons Const Co Inc Price per ton don't know

Last Time Coal Co Last Time Coal Mine price per ton don't know

UAE Coalcorp Harmony Mine UAE Coalcorp Assoc 150 a ton
Found this thread from 2009. I Never knew all these guys were in the Mt. Carmel area. Will have to look them up.

Rev. Larry

RAYJAY
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Post by RAYJAY » Wed. Dec. 12, 2012 10:39 am

butchs37 wrote:Try Hudson Anthracite in Laflin $150 a ton picked up at the breaker 570-655-4151 used it many times not the best but darn close. I don't think they will deliver.
if its a stoker don't try Hudson it sucks bad.... had so many problems could burn dirt better :mad: if your getting it there casey- kassa right next to it good light white ash.

there mining it right off of the casey hwy very little bones, no welded blobs of junk and never go out

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Dec. 12, 2012 10:53 am

RAYJAY wrote:
butchs37 wrote:Try Hudson Anthracite in Laflin $150 a ton picked up at the breaker 570-655-4151 used it many times not the best but darn close. I don't think they will deliver.
if its a stoker don't try Hudson it sucks bad.... had so many problems could burn dirt better :mad: if your getting it there casey- kassa right next to it good light white ash.

there mining it right off of the casey hwy very little bones, no welded blobs of junk and never go out
I have talked to three different people that got TT loads from Hudson this fall and are happy with the quality of the coal. Perhaps you got a bad load.

RAYJAY

Post by RAYJAY » Thu. Dec. 13, 2012 7:17 pm

Rob R. wrote:
RAYJAY wrote: if its a stoker don't try Hudson it sucks bad.... had so many problems could burn dirt better :mad: if your getting it there casey- kassa right next to it good light white ash.

I have talked to three different people that got TT loads from Hudson this fall and are happy with the quality of the coal. Perhaps you got a bad load.
had about 4 years of bad loads .......... :mad: thought my stoker was bad then I started talking to some of the guys at work and they were having the same problems, wasted a lot of money on Hudson coal the only way I would try it if I got a ton for free and then I would have to think about it :sick:

its the main reason I started hauling my own coal in s

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Fri. Dec. 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Ray continues to bad mouth Hudson coal. Hudson had PA. state contracts so their coal had to meet certain specs. Ask Casey Kassa for some specs on the coal they sell. Good luck. I have had Hudson delivered for years from a driver down that way and never had a problem with it. On the other hand, when I purchased a new Leisure Line stove, the store owner told me to NOT burn coal from Casey Kassa, he said he has more people with problems because they were using that coal than any other. Yeah it does burn, but I have people I work with who used it for years, then once they found other suppliers they will never buy from Casey Kassa again. Between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, Hudson probably sells the most coal of any breaker.

RAYJAY

Post by RAYJAY » Fri. Dec. 14, 2012 4:32 pm

mozz wrote:Ray continues to bad mouth Hudson coal. Hudson had PA. state contracts so their coal had to meet certain specs. Ask Casey Kassa for some specs on the coal they sell. Good luck. I have had Hudson delivered for years from a driver down that way and never had a problem with it. On the other hand, when I purchased a new Leisure Line stove, the store owner told me to NOT burn coal from Casey Kassa, he said he has more people with problems because they were using that coal than any other. Yeah it does burn, but I have people I work with who used it for years, then once they found other suppliers they will never buy from Casey Kassa again. Between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, Hudson probably sells the most coal of any breaker.
yes I'm extremely critical of Hudson coal, the reason every one hates casey kassa is because if coal gets short they take care of there customers first.. I know ever coal dealer has quality problem but for 4 years in a row I ruined the rings and my pot in my stoker because Hudson coal burned so bad , if your all saying Hudson is so good let me see your ash your getting out of your stoker....

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Sun. Dec. 16, 2012 4:38 pm

On the other hand, when I purchased a new Leisure Line stove, the store owner told me to NOT burn coal from Casey Kassa, he said he has more people with problems because they were using that coal than any other. Yeah it does burn, but I have people I work with who used it for years, then once they found other suppliers they will never buy from Casey Kassa again. Between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, Hudson probably sells the most coal of any breaker.
Not going to battle between Hudson or Casey Kassa but what I'll will state is this. I've burnt 3 ton of Casey Kassa with good results in my keystoker. Compared to jeddo there isn't much difference. Friend has been burning Casey Kassa for 5 yrs with no issue but fines maybe more or less each time. Here is today's ash without side temps at 40 degrees.
kassa1.jpg
.JPG | 165KB | kassa1.jpg

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Sun. Dec. 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Now something you might not know. Casey Kassa runs out of coal, where do you think they often get some coal? This is fact. This year as fact. Past years as fact.

RAYJAY

Post by RAYJAY » Sun. Dec. 16, 2012 11:31 pm

mozz wrote:Now something you might not know. Casey Kassa runs out of coal, where do you think they often get some coal? This is fact. This year as fact. Past years as fact.
mozz that is why I have 7 ton here now :D mozz really ..... and as for running low they all run low mid heating season never had a problem getting coal off of them in the last 6 years I been buying from them and

I have asked that and will ask popple if casey is getting there coal from them....... I know for a fact casey is mining coal in Carbondale last 2 years..........

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”