Good Place(S) to Buy Coal in Northeastern PA?

WissaMan
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum (MK1) w/ PC control
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WissaMan » Tue. Oct. 20, 2009 12:52 pm

I live in northeastern PA (near Bloomsburg). I am new this year to coal burning so I'm still learning the various "ropes".

There is a place in Bloomsburg that sells coal for $175/ton delivered (Sones). I have also heard from a neighbor that burns coal that he doesn't like Sones coal but yet another neighbor does. I like dealing local for sure, but I also like to know I'm getting a fair deal and a quality product.

My father-in-law said if I go to Mount Carmel, to a breaker, I could get it for like $110/ton. (he wasn't sure on the EXACT price since he doesn't have a coal stove anymore but I guess one of his buddies tossed that figure around recently). Though I don't own a pickup or trailer to haul it. I do have a E150 Ford w/ a hitch and could rent a trailor, but by then I figure I'd be getting close to the cost of just having it delivered.

I welcome any input on this....

thanks!
WM

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Tue. Oct. 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Coal seems to be like any other commodity. Some folks like it from one dealer while others don't. I think I'd ask your neighbors why they like it and why they don't. It may be the neighbor who doesn't like it had trouble with a load or with the delivery but you really don't know until you ask. A guy I used to work with would never buy his coal from the dealer I used because he got stiffed one year when coal was tight. However, I dealt with them for 10 years without a single problem.

The price your father-in-law quoted seems too cheap even at the breaker. My guess is that it would be closer to $130. Depending on the size and age of your house you may not need enough coal to make it worth your while to buy it at the breaker. When I lived near Reading, I only used 2 tons to heat a 2,200 sqft, 2 story house built in 1989. Being in NEPA you will probably need at least a ton more than that due to the colder temperatures there. Ask your neighbors what they use and you can get a pretty good approximation of what you will need. Also, modern stokers are more efficient than hand fed models and easier to shut off and restart if it gets too warm outside. A chimney is also more efficient than a power vent setup.

Just some thoughts...

Will

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Oct. 20, 2009 1:45 pm

Ask the dealer where he is getting his coal from. If he is selling high quality coal he will tell you because he knows his product is good. If he won't tell you he doesn't have faith in the product because he knows it's from a questionable source. The only variable is he can lie about where it is from. Before you get a ton or more delivered see if you can pick up a sample from their yard to try out. If they don't want to accommodate you there are plenty of others around.
My father-in-law said if I go to Mount Carmel, to a breaker, I could get it for like $110/ton.
He may be talking about UAE Harmony Coalcorp. It's $150/ton, and very high quality red ash coal (I'm burning it now in the stoker).

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Oct. 20, 2009 2:20 pm

The Mt Carmel Area coal could be coming from any of these place below.

Black Diamond Mining Inc Black Diamond Mining Sioux Mine Price per ton don't know

Mid Valley Coal Sales Inc Mid Valley Coal Sales Glen Burn Mine Price Per ton don't know

Susquehanna Coal Co Susquehanna Mt Carmel Cogen Mine Price Per ton don't know

Molesevich Snake Rd Mine D Molesevich & Sons Const Co Inc Price per ton don't know

Last Time Coal Co Last Time Coal Mine price per ton don't know

UAE Coalcorp Harmony Mine UAE Coalcorp Assoc 150 a ton

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Oct. 20, 2009 3:20 pm

Thanks for filling me in, JC. I knew there were others around there but I knew you'd be along soon and correct it. Wish I lived there so I don't have to drive 2 hours for the good stuff.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Tue. Oct. 20, 2009 3:31 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Thanks for filling me in, JC. I knew there were others around there but I knew you'd be along soon and correct it. Wish I lived there so I don't have to drive 2 hours for the good stuff.
I Never said it was good stuff Just that the coal he was talking about for 110 a ton could of been from one of those
Places up there in and around the MT Carmel area there are more coal co. up and around there that are not on the list above could be from any one of them or from any other Place up there who know's for sure but the guy that bought it .

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Oct. 20, 2009 6:16 pm

I Never said it was good stuff
I know. When I said that I meant UAE Harmony.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Tue. Oct. 20, 2009 6:29 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
I Never said it was good stuff
I know. When I said that I meant UAE Harmony.
Just need to make sure your on your toes ;)

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Oct. 20, 2009 9:53 pm

Who me? I'm always completely "with it" and alert. :what:

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Tue. Oct. 20, 2009 9:55 pm

he stay's on his toes like a balarina beating some sense into himself...

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Oct. 20, 2009 10:00 pm

You have too much free time, Gene. :D

butchs37
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 dual feed

Post by butchs37 » Wed. Oct. 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Try Hudson Anthracite in Laflin $150 a ton picked up at the breaker 570-655-4151 used it many times not the best but darn close. I don't think they will deliver.

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Wed. Oct. 21, 2009 6:13 pm

I buy coal from Joe Knorr. He gets his load from Hudson and he's very accomodating.

Joseph W Knorr Coal Sales
(570) 824-6469

128 Solomon St
Ashley, PA 18706

Joe's a good guy...been in business for many years and he has a large following of loyal customers.....and his coal is first rate.
I'm not sure how far he travels for deliveries....but give him a call.

shapps1313

Post by shapps1313 » Sat. Oct. 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Wissa man If you have a work van build yourself a small bin for in the back and head on over to UAE Harmony in Mt.Carmel. If the place isn't too busy you should be able to hand load into your van. I know that the mornings early in the week are slow most days,go by there every day. You can get alot or a little, they sell by weight. Just a suggestion.

Bill

ohyeahfriday

Post by ohyeahfriday » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 4:21 pm

Any other suggestions in the Honesdale area, or am I better off looking into the Scranton area? I am not far from Outside Matters in Beach Lake, but have been warned about their prices already and am looking to get my bin & barrels filled within the week.

Thanks for any help available.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”