Making My 1st Trip to the Breaker, Any Answers to Faqs??

ScubaSteve
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont castings Vigilant II model 2310

Post by ScubaSteve » Wed. Oct. 14, 2009 6:45 pm

I just wonder where I should go, what times are they open on weekends. How to pay etc etc. (I was thinking Blaschak or Superior) I know these questions have been asked before but I cant locate all the answers. We will be going in a newer f 250 pickup. Do the coal companies frown on these small sales??

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Oct. 14, 2009 7:02 pm

I haven't bee to any of those places but the procedure is pretty general for any place. When you come in they will have a office and scale. The scale will most likely be one way and if it's busy with a line. Get in line or pull on the scale so they can get your lightweitght, they'll buzz you off. From there park somewhere out of the way (you could do this first and go to office before going on scale). Whatever you don't hold up scale if there is people waiting.

From there someone will be able to help or ask at the office. The loader guy will probably tell you what to do and where to go. Just make sure anywhere you park is not in the way.

I'd call ahead to make sure they are selling to public, at this point they might not be especially with the rice. I was just talking to one dealer and they cut him off for few weeks at the one breaker but he didn't do a lot of business with them. That means the general public was certainly cut off.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Oct. 14, 2009 11:00 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:I just wonder where I should go, what times are they open on weekends. How to pay etc etc. (I was thinking Blaschak or Superior) I know these questions have been asked before but I cant locate all the answers. We will be going in a newer f 250 pickup. Do the coal companies frown on these small sales??
6 am to 3 Pm Mon - Friday Saturday 7am - 12 pm Either place you goto you will go on the scale first then up to or over to
the breaker drive under the correct size coal chute you want tell them how much they will chute the coal in then you will drive back to the scale for your loaded weight you will pay inside the scale house / office cash or check .
Blaschak is 170 or might be up to 180 a ton now you will go on the scale first then drive up to the breaker under the
correct size coal chute.

Superior is 160 a ton The scale House / Office will be on your left drive onto the scale wait for the light to flash once your off the scale drive across the St. under the breaker to the correct size conveyer belt chute first one is barley second one is Rice third one is buckwheat forth is pea fifth one is out of service unless they fixed it sixth one is chestnut seventh one is stove size . pull under tell them how much and if you won't it wet or dry fill up pull out stop on the hill drain water out if you get it wet then drive back across the St . back on the scale wait for the light to flash pull off the scale go to the office door and pay for the coal .

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”