Dusty Coal Delivery

GettingStoked
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III

Post by GettingStoked » Mon. Aug. 31, 2009 3:17 pm

Last spring I had a final delivery of rice coal that was very dry and dusty. The two deliveries up to that point were moist and hardly created any black dust when moving it from my bin to the hopper. I know others must be doing something about this before the buring season starts... I did some searching and found that water can be used and maybe mixed with oil. How long does just watering the coal last before it would need to be watered again... If someone already has this figured out I would appreciate the knowledge of how you deal with the dry coal before you bring it into your house and put up plumes of black clouds pouring it into the hopper. I have about 1.5 tons in my bin.

Thanks

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Aug. 31, 2009 3:37 pm

It shouldn't really be dry at this time of the year unless they are getting it off the stockpile which isn't unheard of either. What you could do is ask your dealer to make sure it's at least damp, I always made sure it was at least damp. The breaker had a hose there which I'd use as a last reaort if the pockets were closed or it wasn't coming fresh from the new pile.

You could have a hose ready for when he gets there and soak it for few a minute or two, or spray it as it's going down the chute. Also dampen your bin before they get there. The dust on the floor and walls will kick up otherwise.

As far as the coal in the bin out that will dry out, I'd suggest just wetting down what you need as you're shoveling it.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Aug. 31, 2009 6:57 pm

I get mine oiled from the dealer, there is almost no dust and seems to stay on all season....

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”