Need Coal? Location and Dealer Inquiries Go Here.

mjwood0

Post by mjwood0 » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 8:06 am

Anyone know good dealers in the Binghamton / Norwich area? I've been driving to Holenbecks Feed & Coal near Owego, but live in the Greene area and work in Binghamton. Would love something a bit closer to home or work.

I will say -- Holenbecks has been great. I bought my Leisure Line from them.

Woodswalker

Post by Woodswalker » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 8:27 am

Anyone know where I can buy coal in the Seattle/Portland area?

Thanks

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 8:37 am

Welcome to the forum woodswalker, it should be noted most of the people here are located in the northeast part of the country as anthracite is only mined in Pennsylvania. The shipping costs even to states nearby make the cost rise and it becomes unfeasible. Shipping to Washington state would be unrealistic. Try the bituminous forum as that type of coal is plentiful out that way but has a lot of issues for residential use.

Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 6:33 pm

Can't come up with any dealers Googleing it.

securehope

Post by securehope » Wed. Nov. 12, 2008 9:27 am

I am in East Tennessee and looking for a source to buy Anthracite coal as the primary source of heat in our house this winter. I'm willing to drive up to Pennsylvania to get it if necessary (We used to do that about ten years ago when we lived in Virginia), but if anyone has any advice or input on local sources, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Bobthetomato

Post by Bobthetomato » Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 8:01 am

I am in york county PA and looking for a coal supplier. I travel a good bit in a 3/4 ton pickup and am not oppsed to picking up coal from a breaker if it will save me some money. I need about 1 to 2 tons.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 10:42 am

Sterner Coal Coal, Spring Garden Ave, (near PA116 & Park St.) Hanover, PA 717-632-1344 If you go there, take a look at his coin operated boxed coal vending machine.

JoshuaDOC

Post by JoshuaDOC » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 9:49 am

I'm looking for pea coal in the Upstate NY Albany area. I have about 1.5 tons in the basement and can get more of the same at a fair rate but I'm looking to try some from another vein. Burning what is bagged as Kimmel's now. Any input is appreciated.

eelhc

Post by eelhc » Wed. Nov. 26, 2008 10:03 pm

mrpete64 wrote:Is there some way to buy a trailer load of bagged coal from Pennsylvania to the Albany, New York area? How much, in tons, does a load like this represent in tons?
Thanks for you insight(s).

Mr. Pete--->
Check out this guy... I believe he's in Saratoga Springs and he can get coal from multiple breakers including Reading or Blaschak.

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

kennnthomas

Post by kennnthomas » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 10:36 am

Richard S. wrote:Welcome to the forum woodswalker, it should be noted most of the people here are located in the northeast part of the country as anthracite is only mined in Pennsylvania. The shipping costs even to states nearby make the cost rise and it becomes
unfeasible
. Shipping to Washington state would be unrealistic. Try the bituminous forum as that type of coal is plentiful out that way but has a lot of issues for residential use.

Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous
:D

this is where I come in. im amazed by the erudition and conscientious veracity on this site. btw, the contribution key doesnt seem to work.

i grew up in batavia , illinois, straight west of chicago. in the early 1950s, the wealthy people still burned anthracite, it came by rail to Alexander Lumber Co and I used to toddle down there with my bucket or gunny sack to retrieve spilled coal. in fact, I watched Norman Rockwell paint the famous ice skating cover of 1958 saturday evening post; he painted it from the office of Alex Lumber.

anyhoo- right now I am experimenting with mixtures of wood and anthracite. lots of wood in northwest and also here in east-central indiana (when I retired I bought the house built by my ggg-father in 1834 - which is impossible to heat!)

osage and mulberry burn like coal and burn synergystically with anthracite - no smoke, no pyrobenzene, no smell...just HEAT. I just built a barrel stove with simple geometry (makes measurements easier) for quantitative tests

so far.....looks super good for extending practical geographic range of pennsylvania black diamonds

kthomas

steevesj

Post by steevesj » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 11:58 am

JoshuaDOC wrote:I'm looking for pea coal in the Upstate NY Albany area. I have about 1.5 tons in the basement and can get more of the same at a fair rate but I'm looking to try some from another vein. Burning what is bagged as Kimmel's now. Any input is appreciated.
Try Steve at Cornwall Coal in Corwall NY. We purchase buckwheat from him and it is very hard, hot burning coal.
Here is a link to the site http://cornwallcoal.com/
Jon

gitrdonecoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90

Post by gitrdonecoal » Thu. Dec. 04, 2008 7:52 pm

hi I live between buffalo and rochester NY. burning stove and nut mix as of now, but will probably burn just stove when the nut runs out. got enough to last me the rest of the season, but I was wondering where the closest breaker was to me, like is there one just across the PA border? I have a 1 ton newer chevy truck with a dump trailer that can hold 5 ton. thanks

john

billnj

Post by billnj » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 9:32 pm

Anyone in NJ need bagged coal? I'm going to Scanton PA next weekend (12-15). I'm picking up 2 tons of bagged pea for $240 per ton. I have room for two more tons.

Let me know,
Bill
862-812-5394

scarecrow

Post by scarecrow » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 4:26 pm

i just got my stove up and running. running correct I do not know but its running. anyway I need rice coal. I would like to get 1 ton of it. is there a big price difference between bagged and not bagged? and where is the best place for me to get it. I live in limerick PA (about 20 miles east of reading) I will drive up to 2 hours if the price is right..

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 7:35 pm

Scarecrow,

Bulk is alot cheaper. Especially for you since your so close. If you only need one ton I would call for local prices on bulk. Instead of driving to the breaker.

Looks like Lutz is close to you. Give them a call. I don't know anything about them.

Anybody Using Coal From Lutz in a Stoker?

Link to coal near you.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”