Sherman coal delivered

OTR
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Crown Royal 7200 (OWB)

Post by OTR » Mon. Mar. 18, 2024 12:55 pm

I gotta say, I was skeptical of the quality reports from Sherman. I've been burning Blashack coal for years, which I found to be better than other sources I'd found (not sure of some of the sources, though one was Lehigh).

Some background: due to the price of coal up here, I've been using oil to heat this year. I received my coal delivery from Aaron about a month ago (for next winter). And, naturally, found out two days later that I'd be moving. So, I fired up the OWB and started burning the coal. Now, note that I said OWB... so my burning experience is a lot different than you guys with your stoker stoves and whatnot.

But, I gotta say, this Sherman coal is awesome! It really does burn down to a fine ash, with notably fewer clinker issues than I am used to (again, it's an OWB, so I don't think it's possible for me to not have clinkers). What I am seeing is fewer clinkers, of smaller size, and often more susceptible to breaking apart. I haven't had my shaker grates get locked up even once yet.

I do notice the seemingly extra amount of fines that everyone mentions, and I also note that the nut coal has a lot more variance in size than normal - a lot of larger pieces that I might even qualify as "stove" size - but neither of these are issues for my use, it all feeds the OWB the same.

Idlorah
Stoker Coal Boiler: Allen 700 stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibralter MCC
Coal Size/Type: Buck in the Allen and anything goes in the MCC, Anthracite
Other Heating: None, maybe some wood in the MCC in the shoulder season

Post by Idlorah » Fri. Jun. 14, 2024 11:03 pm

Working in summer delivery's now, pm ,call or text at 610-217-3695. 225 per T plus delivery.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”