Coal Trucking Costs 2018

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 5:24 pm

If the veterans are following the laws and regulations, then what does it matter if they are on paper log, or AOBRD or ELD?

Most of the veteran people I run into actually like the AOBRD And ELD, less they have to deal with and worry about, honestly the ONLY people that complain are the ones that want to run over on their hours.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 6:27 pm

I have no real issues per se with the drivers for the most part though there are some serious cowboys out there too.in CT 80% of the accidents are trailer truck vs. car. There are some crappy divers in cars too but not 80%. We have rolling hills here though no mountains and lucky to get 3 lanes in some sections. I have had way too many encounters with tractor trailers taking both lanes going 45 or 50 up a hill in a 65 zone. By the same token going 75 in a 65 in the right lane with 1 or 2 lanes empty have one run up so close the headlight shine over a car. The bunch around here make me giggle when I hear the term 'professional driver'.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 7:07 pm

My father in-law is a veteren driver who runs over the road and makes note of how difficult it can be at times trying to find a place to park before the clock runs out. We get Land Line magazine and every year the top concern for American truck drivers is the lack of parking spaces for trucks at rest stops and just lack of parking altogether. Many states have closed the rest stops down in a money saving move and in many states it is illegal to park on the berm, and unsafe anyhow if it is permitted.

Some terminals and warehouses will not allow trucks to show up early and sleep on the property before unloading, forcing drivers to park in unsafe parts of town, leading to crime and murder. (google Jason’s Law if you need reference)

Either way, I don’t need to tell you any of this, with your job you should know better than anyone here. You know a responsible driver when you see one on 87 and it never took an ELD to make him responsible. Half these morons coming into the industry cannot even speak English or clear a lamp pole without taking the bogies out from under the trailer but if the ELD makes someone feel safer about being on the road with them then I guess I digress. (Apparently the same bunch of coolies that ddahlgren is pointing at. )

It really makes no difference to me whatsoever, I do not deal with ELDs as we are typically under the mileage radius exemptions. All I wish to do is point out that it is far from perfect and many drivers feel its an invasion and a major inconvenience. ‘Nuff said.

ddahlgren... don’t even get me started, I would like to see the hard data where you pulled those numbers out of thin air, though I will agree there are some bad apples out there. Many, many times the truck gets faulted for the accident and there was nothing the driver could do. Spend a day with me once and see how many times I have to make a move to avoid a collision with some bonehead in a car trying to take my bumper poles off as he flys in front of me to cut off the next car and pass him on the right. In case anyone forgets, cars wreck into each other every day too causing fatalities that don’t even involve a truck.

We need to get this steered back to the coal price topic, I am sorry for taking it this far away. Maybe the moderators will see fit to split this off into a separate conversation.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 9:52 pm

I think moving this to a new topic would be suitable!!!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jun. 18, 2018 5:29 am

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 9:52 pm
I think moving this to a new topic would be suitable!!!
Done.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jun. 18, 2018 5:38 am

Believe me Tyler, it is far from perfect.

And I’m not claiming it’s going to save anymore lives either, the ELD AOBRD mandate didn’t change any of the HOS regulations, if anything, it has brought out more exemptions for different trucking industries, but it deff does force the drivers and companies to not create so many false log books.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Mon. Jun. 18, 2018 6:17 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Mon. Jun. 18, 2018 5:38 am
Believe me Tyler, it is far from perfect.

And I’m not claiming it’s going to save anymore lives either, the ELD AOBRD mandate didn’t change any of the HOS regulations, if anything, it has brought out more exemptions for different trucking industries, but it deff does force the drivers and companies to not create so many false log books.
It is also forcing a lot of small trucking companies (owner operators) to fold simply because they cannot afford the machines. They are the drivers who keep prices low.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jun. 18, 2018 8:40 am

I don’t buy the “I can’t afford” the devices..

5 dollars extra a load would more than cover the cost.

People just don’t like change and don’t like being told what to do.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Mon. Jun. 18, 2018 3:49 pm

On the way to the quarry this morning I seen something noteworthy also. The guy is an owner-operator (non-outlaw) and has been for years. I don’t know the year but I can tell you the Kenworth was new enough for an electronic engine. Well this morning there was an ‘80s something A-model with manual engine parked in the driveway hooked to the trailer.

There is a reason these guys are giving up a much more comfortable truck and it’s not for the nostalgia. The cab on my 388 is pretty fancy and it rides like a cloud compared to the Autocar’s on Hendrickson walking beam suspension that dad and pap ran in the ‘70s and ‘80s. I’m wouldnt really be interested in going back myself... so the gain would have to be a lot more appealing for me just to stay away from an ELD.

I think you hit it right on the head HB when you said people just don’t like being told what to do. I am young enough that I don’t think the computer part of it would bother me much. However I still view it as nothing more than another unnecessary regulation that will keep increasing transportation costs no matter how it’s divided.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jun. 18, 2018 5:48 pm

And also a lot of fleets are using the ELDs and maintenance and other convenience.

Yes the older generation for the most part whines about the technology change, but you know what is also very hard for us? The older generation and also just a half of the trucking population cannot write neat enough in a paper log to even tell where they have been or what there doing, which most of the time I think is on purpose just to make it harder on us.

As far as cost and money, I’ve always lived by this..

You gotta pay to play.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Tue. Jun. 19, 2018 4:11 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Mon. Jun. 18, 2018 8:40 am
I don’t buy the “I can’t afford” the devices..

5 dollars extra a load would more than cover the cost.

People just don’t like change and don’t like being told what to do.
I know a guy who had one truck self employed and was just making a living. He certainly couldnt afford it. Im sure there are many others in his shoes.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Jun. 19, 2018 7:42 pm

Like I said Matt, 5 dollars extra a load, 5 loads a week, 1,300 should be more than enough especially for one truck.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Jun. 22, 2018 9:27 pm

The source for my coal said right now the trucking cost went up $300.00 for the TT load over last year. Still searching for better pricing.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Jun. 23, 2018 3:09 pm

J needed a load of coal and the price increases appear reasonable. I reserve the right to moan about any price increase.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Sat. Jun. 23, 2018 5:27 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Sat. Jun. 23, 2018 3:09 pm
J needed a load of coal and the price increases appear reasonable. I reserve the right to moan about any price increase.
We all have the right to complain!!!
Bottom line you got your coal :clap:

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”