anyone have direnzo or lehigh coal near hudson valley area.

oldbetsy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: vigilant ll, with many mods
Coal Size/Type: nut size

Post by oldbetsy » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 4:29 pm

hello. I am looking to do a trip to pa from new york. little under 3 hours one way to either lehigh or direnzo . i was wondering if anybody near me, area code 12548 has coal from either place or anybody else comparable to them, i would like to do a test before i pick up 5 plus tons of coal with my truck and trailer. i would like to buy a couple of buckets from you to test. i have used bags of nut from tsc with great results. i went to a place in cornwall NY to test but there coal sucks.

thanks
chris

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 5:53 pm

I like Direnzo's better ( I have just under 3 tons of Direnzo's stove this year) but both burn good, I would give you some but I'm 450 miles from you so your better off just going there and getting some!! :D

pintoplumber
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham number series 17
Other Heating: Oil, forced hot air. Rheem

Post by pintoplumber » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 10:30 am

I’ve bought 15 ton over the last 3 years from DiRenzo , no complaints here. Haven’t even had a klinker yet. Dennis

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 11:23 am

O, you're not headed south yet?????????????:)

oldbetsy

Post by oldbetsy » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 11:28 am

nope. i am wanting to go tomorrow but so many decisions. i really like the way tractor supply burns which i think is kimmels from what i read. but i would like to buy coal in bulk not in the bags

oldbetsy

Post by oldbetsy » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 12:08 pm

the reason i want something comparable to kimmels is the recovery time. the cornwall coal i got in 10 bags for a test took forever to catch back up. i mean forever. and once it got to temp i would close the ash pan and set the air to desired heat and it would slowly decrease in temp. i would have to open the ash pan again to get it going to the temp i wanted. i even tried leaving the primary air open 100% and it still would creep down in temp. this tractor supply stuff i can put a whole 20# on the coal bed and it will be up to temp between 15 30 minutes depending on how hot and how much coal is in the bed. the other stuff was an hour or more or 2.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 12:23 pm

oldbetsy wrote:
Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 11:28 am
nope. i am wanting to go tomorrow but so many decisions. i really like the way tractor supply burns which i think is kimmels from what i read. but i would like to buy coal in bulk not in the bags
Coal & TSC...

1st- TSC gets coal from various sources,whoever gives them the lowest bid gets to sell coal to TSC...
2nd- You can't pull up to the coal bin at TSC & tell them you want Kimmels.... it ain't like pulling up to gas pumps & choosing from 3 grades.
3rd- If you have been following the TSC threads on this forum,you would see that some are getting crap coal from TSC while others claim to be getting good coal..
4th- If you REALLY want Kimmels coal,best try to buy from a known dealer of Kimmels.....BUT,maybe the late 2017 version of Kimmels is not as volatile as the past Kimmels that you have been using.. :)

oldbetsy

Post by oldbetsy » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 12:37 pm

thank you for the informative information. i guess i didnt see that people didnt like it. but seems a lot of people like it also. i have only bought 24 bags from tractor supply with good results. who is a kimmels dealer. iam new to buying coal this way in bulk out of new york state. i dont know who is selling what

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 1:52 pm

I'm thinkin you're closer to Ct. then Pa. coal country. I bet there's some dealers there ya might want to check out.

JD Mike
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: koker
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: hotblast

Post by JD Mike » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 7:17 am

two dealers come to mind one is Black Diamond Heat, Evans Mills and Justin Arp Westerlo ny both are Lehigh dealers

oldbetsy

Post by oldbetsy » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 1:40 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 12:23 pm
Coal & TSC...

1st- TSC gets coal from various sources,whoever gives them the lowest bid gets to sell coal to TSC...
2nd- You can't pull up to the coal bin at TSC & tell them you want Kimmels.... it ain't like pulling up to gas pumps & choosing from 3 grades.
3rd- If you have been following the TSC threads on this forum,you would see that some are getting crap coal from TSC while others claim to be getting good coal..
4th- If you REALLY want Kimmels coal,best try to buy from a known dealer of Kimmels.....BUT,maybe the late 2017 version of Kimmels is not as volatile as the past Kimmels that you have been using.. :)
I called tractor supply last week and they said they are using kimmels. I only bought 22 bags from tractor supply in late november early december of this year

and thanks for the advice JD and FF. I ended up going to lehigh and getting 5 tons of nut. seems to be doing well so far.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 2:01 pm

oldbetsy wrote:
Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 1:40 pm
I called tractor supply last week and they said they are using kimmels. I only bought 22 bags from tractor supply in late november early december of this year

and thanks for the advice JD and FF. I ended up going to lehigh and getting 5 tons of nut. seems to be doing well so far.
THEY said.... A cashier said that ? Or a manager at 1 store said that ?
The folks who have actually bought coal from TSC,have actually found different brands from them.

Thanks to JD & FF, you went to Lehigh & bought coal.... at least you bought good coal..... at least there are many members using Lehigh coal with no complaints.

5 tons of nut.... Bagged or bulk ??

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Many using BLASCHAK bulk with the same results. Just sayin. Whatever is more convenient & tried & true by members is the best bet.

oldbetsy

Post by oldbetsy » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 3:03 pm

i called the customer solutions #. i got bulk. it was a long ride so i wanted to save as much money to make the trip worth while.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Good move O. I'm bettin you'll be a happy camper!! :)

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”